Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emma Mhic Mhathúna RIP

• 07-10-2018 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Linking to BreakingNews

I'm actually lost for words right now, its like someone I know personally has died.

I was in Dealz when the news broke and everyone just stopped their shopping and expressed remorse.

May she rest in eternal peace, a very brave woman & mother.

463190.jpg

The sadness in those eyes.. Rest in Peace X

Please can we avoid any political discussion on this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Linking to BreakingNews

I'm actually lost for words right now, its like someone I know personally has died.

I was in Dealz when the news broke and everyone just stopped their shopping and expressed remorse.

May she rest in eternal peace, a very brave woman & mother.

Amen. amen, amen. A brave lady.

Prayers for her family..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Makikomi's post moved back to a thread of its own. This lady deserves a thread of her own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I just heard on the news she is survived by her five children, there was no mention of their father. Are the children orphaned now? God help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

sightband wrote: »
    I just heard on the news she is survived by her five children.

Like I said in the OP, I was shopping in Dealz when the news broke and everyone just stopped there shopping and gasped.

So sad.

sightband wrote: »
    I just heard on the news she is survived by her five children, there was no mention of their father. Are the children orphaned now? God help them.

Mod-Separated/divorced. Let this be the last mention of anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Desperately sad. So avoidable and needless. Rip a brave lady indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,952 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Who knew we had such amazing women living in our communities up and down the country? There is hope for the country yet.

She won't be forgotten, incredible strength and dignity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Putinbot wrote: »
    Mod-Separated/divorced. Let this be the last mention of anything like that.

Apologies that wasn’t my intent. When I heard the news of only being survived by her children it was natural to assume they had now been orphaned which made it a lot more tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Ygritte

its like someone I know personally has died.

I felt the exact same when I heard it Addilyn Swift Looter, had a lump in my throat. RIP Emma. What an unbelievable woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

RIP

A close relative of mine died in similar circumstances at roughly the same age. That was 12 years ago..... simply lost for words that misdiagnosis is still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

“The 2013 smear said that I was healthy when I wasn't. And because of that then, I developed cancer. I'm dying while I don't need to die. My children are going to be here without me, and I'm going to be without them. I tried to do everything right by breastfeeding and being a full time mum and sacrificing my own life for them, and now I'm going to miss out. I don't even know if my little baby is going to remember me."

Just so horrendously sad. You think you’re doing everything right in life, only to have something as unjust as this happen to you so unnecessarily. The fact she leaves behind a little two year old breaks my heart. Brave lady. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

“The 2013 smear said that I was healthy when I wasn't. And because of that then, I developed cancer. I'm dying while I don't need to die. My children are going to be here without me, and I'm going to be without them. I tried to do everything right by breastfeeding and being a full time mum and sacrificing my own life for them, and now I'm going to miss out. I don't even know if my little baby is going to remember me."

Just so horrendously sad. You think you’re doing everything right in life, only to have something as unjust as this happen to you so unnecessarily. The fact she leaves behind a little two year old breaks my heart. Brave lady. RIP.

Gut wrenching sadness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

RIP Emma.
    Sickening to hear the empty words from certain politicians at the sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very sad news and so young.

Terrible for her family and friends.
    The public will remember her as a woman full of life. Despite what was facing her she came across as a fighter and wasn't going to allow her fate to ruin the time she had left.
    A brave woman and she came across as a really nice and down to earth person.
    If we all could leave this world with the positive impression she left on people, we would be doing very well.
    RIP Emma Mhic Mhathúna.

This is a very hard listen. Be warned there will be tears. Emma's interview on Morning Ireland about 5 months ago.

https://soundcloud.com/morning-ireland/this-isnt-fair-woman-speaks-after-terminal-cancer-diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was in a cafe with my little boy when the news came up on my phone.
    I'm not one to get upset over deaths of people in the media but this is totally different.
    The tears ran down my face sitting across from my child thinking of Emma's 5 little children left without their mammy.
    I am so so glad they have been left financially provided for but absolutely nothing will ever replace a mammy.
    My sincerest condolences to those who loved her.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Please make sure your daughters get the HPV vaccine. The screening test is just that, screening and some cases get through.

Please make sure your daughters get the HPV vaccine. The screening test is just that, screening and some cases get through.

And lobby every politician to get it for our sons also.

My daughters mother(my ex) died from it 7 years ago and when the hpv became available my daughter was in second year. She wouldn't bring the form home. Rather rang me at lunch time to go sign it and hand it back to the principal that very day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A very brave woman.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I was shocked to hear this news today. I know Emma has been very sick but I thought she would have had more time. She loved her children and to the end we can all see she did her absolute best for them. It’s heartbreaking that she will not be there to see them grow up. May she Rest In Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Putinbot wrote: »
    And lobby every politician to get it for our sons also.

My daughters mother(my ex) died from it 7 years ago and when the hpv became available my daughter was in second year. She wouldn't bring the form home. Rather rang me at lunch time to go sign it and hand it back to the principal that very day.

Also worth noting that it's likely to become available for those aged 27 to 45 in the near future since it got clearance in the US the other day. Anything that can prevent in the long run is much needed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Very sad to hear. Awful thing to happen to a young woman and her children.

As has been said, this shows the importance of utilising the vaccination programmes available and not being tolerant of anti-vaxx conspiracy theorists that undermine them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If there ever was a woman who needs not to become forgotten it's Emma Mhic Mhathún ,
    She stood alone in the darkest of times and fought and died ultimately for justice and the women , mothers, grand mothers ,sisters and aunts ,who were ravaged with cancer due to the government and private companies complete negligence ,
    And she didn't scream ,roar and demand anything she fought with total dignity and respect ,

As a father and husband I can only imagine what her husband and children are going through,

Rip Emma Mhic Mhathún -Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There was absolutely no need for this young woman to have to die.

R.I.P Emma.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very very sad.Just think that Emma could still have
    50 years approx of life ahead of her with her family and friends.May she rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

I had met Emma at 2 rallies down here when she was campaigning for awareness....a normal ordinary woman...who had an extraordinary ability to bring people together for a common goal... hopefully successive governments learn from the horrible mistakes that have been made
    r.i.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Very sad to hear and a jolting reminder of what the headlines and cause are really about.

Her children and family can be proud that their Mam achieved something in her 37 years that most people wouldn't in a lifetime - she fought hard and took injustice to task whilst simultaneously fighting for the healthcare needs of all women.

A very strong legacy and a person that will be remembered by so many who never met her.

Thoughts and prayers with her family. God rest her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

She is gone now may she rest in peace, but she has left a great legacy.

Those left behind must be devastated. Her poor kids, how will they deal with this loss.

I just mention that our family has been through a similar young death from cancer so I know how heartbreaking it is.

Advertisement