Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung S9/9+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That's what I did. Traded in my S7 Edge for £170, + £100, take that off the SIM-only price from Vodafone (12 months, 5GB, 500 minutes, unlimited texts for £13.50 p/m) of £819 leaves £544.

It's a great deal and fairly easy to justify the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Sorry I actually meant the Vodafone X deal. €20 every 4 weeks. No contract, its payg.
    A large thread in bargain alerts about setting it up.

Can't find the thread. Would you mind posting a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Considering the upgrade with VF.

Dose anyone have details on the case they are offering? (Is seems to be the Rugged Case)
    Also how does the trade in work? Do you have to do this in store? or can you do it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

link
    Can't find the thread. Would you mind posting a link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Anyone ever ordered direct from Samsung USA via a parcel courier like address pal and if so did anyone manage to avoid VAT, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

how sound are Vodafone about offering better contract terms if you threaten to leave.

I'm two months from the end of mine, but I have paid them some massive overruns of my bill over the last 22 months, so I wonder if I went in and asked them to be sound would they be able to let me get an early standard upgrade in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

If I get a S9 will I ultimately just be sorry and pissed off at the inevitable laggy software experience.......:confused:

Its why I got rid of the S7 and a quick google would suggest nothing changed on the S8.

Dat screen tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

sentient_6 wrote: »
    If I get a S9 will I ultimately just be sorry and pissed off at the inevitable laggy software experience.......:confused:

Its why I got rid of the S7 and a quick google would suggest nothing changed on the S8.

Dat screen tho.

Yeah this is always the concern for me with Samsung. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Anyone ever ordered direct from Samsung USA via a parcel courier like address pal and if so did anyone manage to avoid VAT, etc

anyone? :)

Never tried it and it would vex you looking at the site. Including S6 trade in I could buy the S9 for €465 unlocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You will still be caught for tax as addresspal would send it through for it rather than bypassing the customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

errlloyd wrote:
    I'm two months from the end of mine, but I have paid them some massive overruns of my bill over the last 22 months, so I wonder if I went in and asked them to be sound would they be able to let me get an early standard upgrade in store?

Not a chance. I was a day off an upgrade when S8 was released and on a staff family and friends list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Has anyone got the dual SIM version yet or are yous all settling in the single SIM?

Known as the G960F/DS Galaxy S9 Duos afaik and will be sold in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

The US version would be 64GB and use the slower Snapdragon Cpu so better off buying from UK such as carphone warehouse mentioned previously / Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I was going to pre-order the S9+ Hybrid SIM direct from Samsung UK website, but unfortunately that model is the only one that isn't shipping a week early on pre-order, so will just wait until the full release to order it. I haven't seen the Hybrid (Dual) SIM version available any where else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭SachaJ

SuprSi wrote: »
    When can we expect reviews to be published? I read on one site that they have their review model but I'm wondering whether they have to wait until after the pre-order period is over.

1pm on Thursday which is funnily the same time as the cut-off with Vodafone to order the phone for this Friday's delivery.

I saw some video on YouTube mention a media "full review" embargo until 1pm UK time on Thursday.

I'm currently going through the motions of signing up with VF for my first contract in a decade on the S9+ and my first Android phone in 7 years. We get a discount on VF contracts through work so the €80pm contract works out at €65pm. I'll sell my iPhone 6 for maybe €250 or €300.

If my numbers are correct:
    VF contract - €200 up front + €65pm @ 24 months = €1760 - iPhone = €1500ish

SIM Free from CPW - €740 (including iPhone 6 trade in) + €40pm @ 24 months = €1700.

Works out €200 cheaper and I do get the Sky Sports Mobile for whatever that's worth (already have a family Spotify subscription).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I was going to pre-order the S9+ Hybrid SIM direct from Samsung UK website, but unfortunately that model is the only one that isn't shipping a week early on pre-order, so will just wait until the full release to order it. I haven't seen the Hybrid (Dual) SIM version available any where else?

They're probably the same.
    You can use dual SIM, but then you can't have the SD card (hybrid).

If the phone memory is 64\128gb then you might not need the SD card anyhow (depending on ones needs).

Think it makes sense to wait if you can see yourself using dual SIM (I do).

Edit: I remember reading that'll be sold on Amazon.de, might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

biebiebie wrote: »

Think it makes sense to wait if you can see yourself using dual SIM (I do)

Yeah I'm definitely waiting, as I need to have the dual SIM as well.
    Was just wondering if anyone has seen it advertised anywhere other than direct from Samsung. I guess maybe other sellers just don't have any of the hybrid models up for their pre-orders as they wouldn't be as popular.

SachaJ wrote: »
    1pm on Thursday which is funnily the same time as the cut-off with Vodafone to order the phone for this Friday's delivery.

I saw some video on YouTube mention a media "full review" embargo until 1pm UK time on Thursday.

I'm currently going through the motions of signing up with VF for my first contract in a decade on the S9+ and my first Android phone in 7 years. We get a discount on VF contracts through work so the €80pm contract works out at €65pm. I'll sell my iPhone 6 for maybe €250 or €300.

SIM Free from CPW - €740 (including iPhone 6 trade in) + €40pm @ 24 months = €1700.

Works out €200 cheaper and I do get the Sky Sports Mobile for whatever that's worth (already have a family Spotify subscription).

I suppose the big thing to look at is do you need €40 or €65,plan per month?

I know the Vodafone X weekend deal will do me fine at €200per month so will be looking for sim free deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Don't forget the extra charges of over usage (or abroad) and being tied into a 2 year contract.

With PAYG you have the freedom to see all available plans in the next 2 years instead of being tied to one. I'm on Vodafone X at the moment and its perfect, but maybe next year there will be a deal to include something that isn't out now, or maybe 5G or something mad that's not available now. I'd pay the extra for the sim free option.

Actually it'll be cheaper than the CPWH price if you buy from Amazon or Adverts and sell your iPhone separate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

The only differences between the 60e and 80e plans:

60pm
    Data:15GB
    International texts and minutes: 100

80pm
    Data: 30GB
    International texts and minutes: 500

Would you really use that much data? There's WIFI everywhere now. I think it's a bit of a red herring in what they're offering. It's make it seem like you're getting more but are you? Will you use the international texts and minutes?

I reckon 90% of people could even survive on the 40e plan if they were vigilant.

Id find it impossible to use 10g of data, I actually don't know how people use huge chunks of data.
    No WiFi and downloading/streaming?

The only differences between the 60e and 80e plans:

60pm
    Data:15GB
    International texts and minutes: 100

80pm
    Data: 30GB
    International texts and minutes: 500

Would you really use that much data? There's WIFI everywhere now. I think it's a bit of a red herring in what they're offering. It's make it seem like you're getting more but are you? Will you use the international texts and minutes?

I reckon 90% of people could even survive on the 40e plan if they were vigilant.

Potentially I would use the data. I was on the 10GB with Meteor and went over a few times so now on the 15GB. I commute a couple of hours a day and listen to a lot of Spotify (at the highest quality rate), YouTube at high quality rates etc.

In contrast I rarely make phone calls and texts so the minutes are not any use to me. WhatsApp for messaging.

I could maybe switch to the €60pm (€50 on Infinity) and try keep under the 15GB. Means another €200 up front against €360 over 24 months.

Already placed the order with VF so perhaps I’ll check my usage and see is it worth cancelling and downgrading packages.

Also what are the common VF extra charges that I might get hit with?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm on the €80pm plan because I get work discount that brings it down to €65 but there are definitely months where I'd be touching the limits of that 30gb cap.

Actually thinking of going down the Upgrade Anytime route with Vodafone. Any idea how much the 9+ would cost on the 80pm plan with six months left on my current contract?

I'm on the €80pm plan because I get work discount that brings it down to €65 but there are definitely months where I'd be touching the limits of that 30gb cap.

Actually thinking of going down the Upgrade Anytime route with Vodafone. Any idea how much the 9+ would cost on the 80pm plan with six months left on my current contract?

I have two months left on mine and they quoted me 650!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

errlloyd wrote: »
    I have two months left on mine and they quoted me 650!

Won't be doing that so, mental price altogether. Be better buying sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Also what are the common VF extra charges that I might get hit with?

I am with Vodafone for a number of years now, with the recent change to PAYG.

I had a few contracts with them and anytime I went UK or Europe I always came back with extra charges on my account. This was even when the new laws came in about usage abroad and it really put me off bill pay. Then, like you said, if you go above your capped internet usage, calls etc that's more charges. Other than that I find their signal in my area excellent and I can't fault them now, i'm getting excellent value for money.

20 a month = 20gb, 100 mins , 100 texts. Still 45 euro cheaper than the bill pay plan you could get, sure you could always buy add on options and still be cheaper.

peteb2 wrote: »
    Not a chance. I was a day off an upgrade when S8 was released and on a staff family and friends list.

Managed to weasle one, but I am an absolute fiend for ending up paying for extras so they didn't want to lose me as a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

How definite is the Friday delivery of pre-orders with Vodafone? I'll be out of the country from early on Monday for over 2 weeks so if I can't be guaranteed delivery on Friday I may need to look at other arrangements.

Advertisement