Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Recently bought STB Emu Pro just to try it out and it works fine but one issue is driving me mad is that whenever I launch the app it sets the Shield sound down to 50% I have to manually turn it up to 100%, is this a short coming of the app or does anyone have a work around?

I feel like there is a world here that I am missing out on, can you tell me what STB Emu Pro is and what I should be using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

iggy wrote: »
    Same here. Couldn't find a fix so using perfect player until hopefully I find a solution.

I've only been using the free version as I couldn't see any point in buying the pro, am I missing out on something?

As for the volume problem, I've only had it happen twice in 3 months and didn't even think it was down to stbemu. Maybe try the free version and see if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I've only been using the free version as I couldn't see any point in buying the pro, am I missing out on something?

As for the volume problem, I've only had it happen twice in 3 months and didn't even think it was down to stbemu. Maybe try the free version and see if that makes a difference?
    I was told there was no advantage to using the paid version instead of the free.

nedd wrote: »
    I feel like there is a world here that I am missing out on, can you tell me what STB Emu Pro is and what I should be using it for.

In a nutshell, it's a Mag box emulator for watching IPTV. I don't think we can say much more put stick it into YouTube search and there are plenty of videos of it in action.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I was told there was no advantage to using the paid version instead of the free.

Yeah, that was what I reckoned also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

In a nutshell, it's a Mag box emulator for watching IPTV. I don't think we can say much more put stick it into YouTube search and there are plenty of videos of it in action.

Without siderailing the thread or going offside rules wise is the STB EMU app not just an IPTV client which you can use, similar to Perfect Player etc, if you have a subscription to an IPTV service?

If it has more "Kodi like" functionality than just being an IPTV player can someone PM me a few pointers????

Without siderailing the thread or going offside rules wise is the STB EMU app not just an IPTV client which you can use, similar to Perfect Player etc, if you have a subscription to an IPTV service?

If it has more "Kodi like" functionality than just being an IPTV player can someone PM me a few pointers????

Yeah its just a IPTV client.Similar to Perfect Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Pro version has no adds.
    I'm using the same stbemu app on xiaomi mi box and a firestick and no problems with the volume, only have problem with the shield.

I don't recall any ads on the free version. Where do they pop up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Same here. Couldn't find a fix so using perfect player until hopefully I find a solution.

Good to hear i’m No they the only one,my provider is pushing us towards using it over Smart IPTV app or Perfect Player.

• Advertisement

Apparantly ad free and you use a Mag250 remote app to control with STB emu pro according to Wiki page

I don't recall any ads on the free version. Where do they pop up?

I've never seen an ad on it that I can remember either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Recently bought STB Emu Pro just to try it out and it works fine but one issue is driving me mad is that whenever I launch the app it sets the Shield sound down to 50% I have to manually turn it up to 100%, is this a short coming of the app or does anyone have a work around?

Because STBEmu is an emulator it could be the box that is being emulated that conflicts. Try changing the Set Top Box to another MAG, e.g. the MAG256

Settings -> Profiles -> Your Profile -> STB Configuration -> STB Model

('Your Profile' being the profile that you are currently using) And see if it happens on another model.

The Pro version unlocks more features, i am not sure exactly what as i can not remember, but one of the remotes it allows you to use is this one https://www.infomir.eu/eng/press-center/news/104-magic-remote/
    I find that a great remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys is anyone having network issues with their shield TV?

I have tried 2.4GHz wifi, 5GHz wifi and ethernet and the results are all the same. (poor download speeds and really bad ping times)

Strangely enough, no matter if I use wifi or ethernet, my ping time is ALWAYS exactly 123ms according to speedtest.net but its like 10ms on all of my other devices and the router is 10ft away from my Shield. Heres what I have tried.

I have restarted router and shield several times but its still the same

I had virgin media out to replace all the splitters and cables in the house.

I did ring virgin media a few weeks ago to disable IPv6 on my account so I could open a port on my router for plex, do you think this could have anything to do with my network issues?

Also do you guys have the IPv6 option in the shields settings enabled or disabled?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction,

Thanks guys :)

I found a workaround basically go into the shields settings then Display and Sound under the advanced settings tab at the very bottom turn on fixed volume. By doing this you disable the volume control and that is basically the Shield volume fixed at 100% and allows your tv or amp control the volume now when I go into and come out of stbEmu the volume does not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Lads quick few questions on this as im about to pull the trigger and buy one..

Is there a big difference between the 2015 and 2017 one?
    Mainly be used for streaming.
    Also I came across on a review buying an extra remote for the 2015 one as the one that comes with it isnt great?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys,

Have a Shield since before Xmas and very impressed with both the hardware and UI. Coming from years of media boxes running standard Android I'm finding Android TV a little restrictive (why no Chrome browser?) but overall it's a great device.

My use is primarily viewing an IPTV subscription, online streaming of Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc, accessing online content via Kodi add-ons and accessing a 2TB NAS of other content built up over several years.

I'd like to optimise my Shield set up so would appreciate some suggestions as to how best to do this given the above.

For the NAS content I have Plex server running on an always on family PC, I use Perfect Player for my IPTV subscription and I use KODI for a few add ons and that's about the extent of my set up but I feel I am not making the most of the devices capability and I'm just replicating old media box setups on the Shield.

It's there a better way or better apps to use? I've heard about apps such as TV Headend, TVirl, ProgTV, StbEMU, TVLauncher and Sideload Launcher but I'm not familiar with them and don't want to do anything to mess things up. I've a feeling I should somehow be using the Live Channels app but it just appears to be a platform for Google to sell movies on demand.

Any suggestions or pointers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Lads quick few questions on this as im about to pull the trigger and buy one..

Is there a big difference between the 2015 and 2017 one?
    Mainly be used for streaming.
    Also I came across on a review buying an extra remote for the 2015 one as the one that comes with it isnt great?

From the reviews I've watched the 2017 gaming controller is better. The 2015 version didn't come with the TV remote. Only other difference is the 2017 version is smaller in size than the 2015. Other than that the hardware is identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

No SD card slot in 2017 version either
    I have 2 HDDs connected one as external and one as internal memory(Plex metadata etc.)

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Never had an advert on mine either
    Last couple of days I’m getting black screen on my stbemu app
    First time I reinstalled the app and it worked
    Last night I cleared cache and that sorted it, very strange and Sod’s law it happened as the boxing was about to start lol

Anyone know why I’m getting this black screen ?
    Never happened before and worked flawlessly since purchase

That sounds like it might be a service issue rather than an app issue.

There was an issue a few days back with a provider I think we both use.

At first I thought it was the provider but when it came back on reinstallation I the thought it was the app

If you leave it on the black screen does it eventually throw up any error screen?

No just stays black
    I tried
    Closing and reopening
    Force close
    Reboot shield
    Power out shield
    Next step was reinstall before I contacted the fella but it worked

Then I read online clearing cache is an easy fix

Strange alright. I only had the black screen the other day when servers were down. I'll watch out for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting the Shield. I'm currently using my phone and Chromecast to do all my streaming but it's not healthy on the old battery so would like something more dedicated and that the whole family can use...mainly for Netflix and Plex

Are there any other boxes I should consider, or would you all recommend the Shield. I know you are all probably biased, but I just want to make sure I spend wisely.

All the posts on this thread are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

chewed wrote: »
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting the Shield. I'm currently using my phone and Chromecast to do all my streaming but it's not healthy on the old battery so would like something more dedicated and that the whole family can use...mainly for Netflix and Plex

Are there any other boxes I should consider, or would you all recommend the Shield. I know you are all probably biased, but I just want to make sure I spend wisely.

All the posts on this thread are excellent.

Howdy,

I have been through all the Android Boxes and Roku's etc. and have to say that budget allowing this is better than all these by far.
    Its responsiveness etc.is far superior and I'm not coming from a Gamer angle as it seems to be pitched at gamers in terms of its advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks guys....appreciate the quick repliess! I'm sold. Going to order from Amazon now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

chewed wrote: »
    Thanks guys....appreciate the quick repliess! I'm sold. Going to order from Amazon now. :D

It's the only box that actually works as it should unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭xtal191

Th Mi Box is a good cheaper alternative, especially if you have no interest in gaming or 4k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

xtal191 wrote: »
    Th Mi Box is a good cheaper alternative, especially if you have no interest in gaming or 4k.

The mi box lacks Ethernet which IMO is essential for a media streaming box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

The mi box lacks Ethernet which IMO is essential for a media streaming box

I would definitely agree with this, essential IMHO too.

Advertisement