Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The McGuigans BBC 1, May 17

Options
  • 16-05-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭

Set your tv to record..looks to be an excellent series documentary on the McGuigans starting tomorrow at 22.40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Really enjoyed that. Definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that. Definitely worth watching.

I enjoyed it. I like those off the cuff kind of inside info documentaries. Not the usual scripted BS you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Will it be on that BBC player thing or get repeated? Didn't get to catch it last night and would be interested for sure.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Will it be on that BBC player thing or get repeated? Didn't get to catch it last night and would be interested for sure.

Usually on Saturdays and-or Sundays you will get BBC repeats. Keep an eye. I will too. Part II on next Wednesday at 2240.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭megadodge

I enjoyed that.

You really get a feeling for how emotionally involved Barry is with Frampton. At least he was mature enough to listen to Shane in the dressing room when he was just letting the occasion get the better of him.

People forget he took a guy who was NOT an amateur standout or international medal winner and invested an enormous amount of time, money and emotion into Carl's career and ended up reaping the rewards for the big risk he took. I for one am delighted it has all worked out so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

This repeated or available online anywhere? iPlayer excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Frampton holding press conference tomorrow to announce his apponent for 29th July in Belfast. Any ideas who it is??

bono_v wrote: »
    Frampton holding press conference tomorrow to announce his apponent for 29th July in Belfast. Any ideas who it is??
    Andres Guttierez apparently. Would've hoped for better personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭megadodge

Andres Guttierez apparently. Would've hoped for better personally.

A 23 year old Mexican who turned pro at 15 and only has one loss in 37 fights? History suggests that type of fighter better not be taken lightly.

I appreciate you might have wanted Santa Cruz or Sellby, but they weren't going to happen this time out (should happen in the next 18 months though), so this is a warmup fight of sorts against a decent opponent while he looks for a bigger fight. Pretty standard.

megadodge wrote: »
    A 23 year old Mexican who turned pro at 15 and only has one loss in 37 fights? History suggests that type of fighter better not be taken lightly.

I appreciate you might have wanted Santa Cruz or Sellby, but they weren't going to happen this time out (should happen in the next 18 months though), so this is a warmup fight of sorts against a decent opponent while he looks for a bigger fight. Pretty standard.

Aye aware of all that mate but Frampton himself would've been hoping for better I'm sure. They clearly tried a million different options before him too given it took this long to make. I'm sure that record is extremely padded. Gonna try and dig up his fight with Mijares if I can and see if he looks any good.

I'd have rathered any of the likes of Donaire, Vasquez, Mijares, Cueller, Warrington, Galahad to this to be honest. Obviously most fighters they were after refused to come to Belfast though so it's tricky. It's not what I'd call exciting but I don't begrudge Carl taking a soft touch after his last few fights by any means.

• Advertisement

Tickets sold out in no more than 30 seconds.

BBC1 from 11.10 tonight all three episodes repeated..

Carl to split with Cyclone looking fairly ominous now. Pretty shocking really. Wonder if Cyclone got bit hard in the pocket with the fight cancellation. Would assume Carl will just become a full time Haymon fighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Hi, any time I try to use BBC IPlayer it says it "Iplayer only works in the UK' I am in Dublin, and I'd really like to see this. Anyone any ways around it apart from a paid vpn thing? I find the free ones don't work on Iplayer. Thanks.

By the sounds of it he's splitting from Shane too. Be very interesting to see where Carl ends up.

https://twitter.com/RealCFrampton/status/899606808205176833

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

All the things he said about Eddie will be forgotten.

I think the hate for Eddie is very real from Carl. I'd be shocked if he even considered going with him.

Warren or Haymon full time I reckon. If he wants that big Windsor fight then Warren should be the choice. If he wants to guarantee the big US fights then you'd have to think he sticks with Haymon.

It's the trainer that will be very interesting. I've no idea who he'll go with tbh.

I think the hate for Eddie is very real from Carl. I'd be shocked if he even considered going with him.

It would not surprise me if he goes back to Hearn. Money talks as they say, and if he feels he will get a crack at Selby it may tempt him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Is Shane gone aswel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

TresGats wrote: »
    Hi, any time I try to use BBC IPlayer it says it "Iplayer only works in the UK' I am in Dublin, and I'd really like to see this. Anyone any ways around it apart from a paid vpn thing? I find the free ones don't work on Iplayer. Thanks.

Tunnel bear will work and you get it free for 1 week.

• Advertisement

Is Shane gone aswel ?
    Yep. Deleted where it said he trains Carl from his Twitter bio.

Who else does Shane train now apart from Groves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I've got a friend close to the camp who says he'll be training with Adam Booth. Might not be true, but he named Gutierrez as an opponent over a week before it was reported anywhere.

He also says Kell Brook will be training with McGuigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Yep. Deleted where it said he trains Carl from his Twitter bio.

Jeez that's a bad fall out . Mates since they were kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

pac_man wrote: »
    That's strange.

He was due down there at some point middle of this week, so I was told. I'm not claiming it to be fact, just passing on information from someone who has been knowledgeable on the subject in the past.

Who else does Shane train now apart from Groves?

Josh Taylor, Conrad Cummings, Chantelle Cameron and I've no idea what the story with Josh Pritchard is. Doesn't seem to box anymore. Looking very bare. I do rate him though, think he'll have no problems attracting fighters to him tbf.

Very detailed and in-depth read on Irishboxing.com regarding the Frampton/McGuigan split. I can't link it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 J0E_90

pac_man wrote: »
    I think this is the article you are talking about? It's a decent read.

http://www.irish-boxing.com/long-read-framptons-former-trainer-lifts-lid-forgotten-time-jackal/

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Anyone know what happened between barry and carl?
    What next for carl? He's hardly going back to match room?

• Advertisement

Jamie Moore to be Frampton's new trainer apparently.

Advertisement