Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didnt know that

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The little hard pointy bit at the end of a shoelace is called an Aglet.

Yep, we did know that, and like we said before, "Thank you, Phineas and Ferb"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

New Home wrote: »
    Yep, we did know that, and like we said before, "Thank you, Phineas and Ferb"! :D
    You can be a bit of a balatron at times. Do you know what that is?:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can make an educated guess. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

New Home wrote: »
    I can make an educated guess. :D
    Only time I ever heard it used was by a teacher and it was aimed at a few of us.

And ^^^ that was a first for me. So no, up until you mentioned it, I didn't know that (and I had to look it up to make sure). :)

At least going to clown college finally paid off! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fourier wrote: »
    No, energy isn't really required despite spacetime being physical. Physicality doesn't imply energy being required.

If something has changed, then something else must have powered that change, no?
    How could things just suddenly be different, without some sort of effort having first been made to bring about that change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can be a bit of a balatron at times. Do you know what that is?:pac:

New home is far from a balatron.

Aaaawwwwh... Thanks Srameen, high praise indeed! :) (I guess? :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

At 5:30 a.m. June 28th in 1905, a murderer named Languille lost his head on the guillotine in Orleans.
    Some thirty seconds later, he finally lost his life — or so suggests the account of an eyewitness who conducted upon Languille’s head one of the most renowned execution experiments in history in pursuit of that timeless question whether a decapitated head survives.

This is the report of Dr. Beaurieux in full:

I consider it essential for you to know that Languille displayed an extraordinary sang-froid and even courage from the moment when he was told, that his last hour had come, until the moment when he walked firmly to the scaffold. It may well be, in fact, that the conditions for observation, and consequently the phenomena, differ greatly according to whether the condemned persons retain all their sang-froid and are fully in control of themselves, or whether they are in such state of physical and mental prostration that they have to be carried to the place of execution, and are already half-dead, and as though paralysed by the appalling anguish of the fatal instant.
    The head fell on the severed surface of the neck and I did not therefor have to take it up in my hands, as all the newspapers have vied with each other in repeating; I was not obliged even to touch it in order to set it upright. Chance served me well for the observation, which I wished to make.
    Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds. This phenomenon has been remarked by all those finding themselves in the same conditions as myself for observing what happens after the severing of the neck …
    I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased. The face relaxed, the lids half closed on the eyeballs, leaving only the white of the conjunctiva visible, exactly as in the dying whom we have occasion to see every day in the exercise of our profession, or as in those just dead. It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: “Languille!” I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions –- I insist advisedly on this peculiarity –- but with an even movement, quite distinct and normal, such as happens in everyday life, with people awakened or torn from their thoughts.
    Next Languille’s eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves. I was not, then, dealing with the sort of vague dull look without any expression, that can be observed any day in dying people to whom one speaks: I was dealing with undeniably living eyes which were looking at me. After several seconds, the eyelids closed again, slowly and evenly, and the head took on the same appearance as it had had before I called out.
    It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. The there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement -– and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead.
    I have just recounted to you with rigorous exactness what I was able to observe. The whole thing had lasted twenty-five to thirty seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

^^^^^
    It's thought of as a typical French method of execution but we were using it here before them, back in the 14th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The little hard pointy bit at the end of a shoelace is called an Aglet.

How many times did you encounter an escutcheon today?

cantdecide wrote: »
    How many times did you encounter an escutcheon today?

Every time I passed a door or looked at the family coat of arms on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The last execution by guillotine in France took place in 1977.

It was the last execution in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The last execution by guillotine in France took place in 1977.

It was the last execution in the EU.

The EU didn't come into existence until 1993.

it is a thread about facts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The EU didn't come into existence until 1993.

it is a thread about facts...

Last in the EU or any previous version thereof then.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Workers at the tills in Aldi are not shown what change is due. They have to work it out in their head. Supposed to keep them alert and active. Keep an eye on your change!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

If something has changed, then something else must have powered that change, no?
    How could things just suddenly be different, without some sort of effort having first been made to bring about that change?
    Newtonian notions of mechanical power don't apply to spacetime, it's simply "beyond" lower level physics where things like power, etc apply. It doesn't require anything else to power its change. It simply shapes itself in accordance with the matter inside it, but the matter doesn't "power" its shaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    Workers at the tills in Aldi are not shown what change is due. They have to work it out in their head. Supposed to keep them alert and active. Keep an eye on your change!

Somewhat related. According to Bill Bryson in his book Made in America, the reason prices end up being 0.09, 0.99, 1.99 etc had to do with the idea that in order to prevent fraud/theft at the till they wanted the cashier to have to open the till after each purchase to get change.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

All the years I thought deep heat was some kind of magic spray. Yet all it does is distract you from the pain deeper below the skin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sharpey85 wrote: »
    All the years I thought deep heat was some kind of magic spray. Yet all it does is distract you from the pain deeper below the skin

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.”
    - Terry Pratchett:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It heats up the area you spray it on.

Heat can help muscles get looser by dilating blood vessels and heating the muscle

Have you a source for this, as I learned that the chemicals worked into the muscles, generated heat that loosened the muscles and therefore eased the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Have you a source for this, as I learned that the chemicals worked into the muscles, generated heat that loosened the muscles and therefore eased the pain.

A physio once told me that Deep Heat works by increasing bloodflow to the area and thus takes away toxins which relieves the pain.

Disclaimer: She could've been talking through her hoop for all I know

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fourier wrote: »
    Newtonian notions of mechanical power don't apply to spacetime, it's simply "beyond" lower level physics where things like power, etc apply. It doesn't require anything else to power its change. It simply shapes itself in accordance with the matter inside it, but the matter doesn't "power" its shaping.
    G'way with your quantum hocus pocus, who do you think you are? Deepak effin Chopra? :D

It is an interesting area mind you. I suppose because we are of this reality, it makes it incredibly and increasingly difficult to describe a reality that may be or is outside of this one. In the singularity of the cosmic egg* at which point going backwards does the understanding and mathematics and language of our reality break down, because a different set of reality was/is/will be in play? Is understanding, at least our understanding truly "universal"? Are the conditions that "caused" the singularity understandable at all, or are we forever mired in describing the goldfish bowl of our reality in terms of bowls and goldfish and the concept of blowing the glass and sourcing the water forever outside of our reach? TBH I bloody love that stuff. :)

Though I'd likely be a Biopanthiest© myself to some degree. Or at least that appeals to me. Basically I'd take the Gaia principle applied to Earth to the wider universal. That in a very abstract sense the universe is "alive", an "organism" of sorts and follows general principles of "life". After all we're alive and within the universe, so at least in one place life and consciousness kicked off as part of reality. Reality gave arise to a self awareness of reality itself. That sh1t's very cool. Taking that further, maybe self aware intelligent life is or could be the reproductive organs of reality. IE sooner or later some intelligent life somewhere may reach a stage where they get so far in understanding and technology of a sort we would see as magic, even "godlike" and can create other realities in the "lab", so giving birth to new realities, which in time will give birth to more and so forth. Maybe if we could stand outside looking in we would see our universe and reality as a stable singularity with "interesting" patterns within. And every single self aware creatures days and lives and experiences were those patterns within. Surface ripples in a lake that never fills or drains.

Oh oh, must be an Ayahuasca flashback I'm having. :eek::D

*or Primeval Atom. I go old stylee. :D IIRC it was Hoyle who coined the "Big Bang Theory" and may have been in a derisive sense?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

First thing that comes up if you Google "how does deep heat work"

First thing that comes up if you Google "how does deep heat work"

Just did that and got "The penetrating warmth of products in the Deep Heat range helps stimulate circulation......"

So, no source?

It works by targeting cold-sensitive TPRM8 receptors and stimulating them to generate heat, then they in turn signal the release of certain chemicals into the nervous system that inhibit the pain signals traveling, like a mild nerve block.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ipso wrote: »
    Somewhat related. According to Bill Bryson in his book Made in America, the reason prices end up being 0.09, 0.99, 1.99 etc had to do with the idea that in order to prevent fraud/theft at the till they wanted the cashier to have to open the till after each purchase to get change.
    Bryson is a good writer but he's often proven to play fast and loose with his 'facts'.
    The reason the number 99 is so popular in pricing is because it makes things seem cheaper to us dum dums. If you see a car on sale for 8999 the retailer is hoping you will focus on the first digit: 8, rather than admitting to yourself that the car actually costs 9 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Bryson is a good writer but he's often proven to play fast and loose with his 'facts'.
    The reason the number 99 is so popular in pricing is because it makes things seem cheaper to us dum dums. If you see a car on sale for 8999 the retailer is hoping you will focus on the first digit: 8, rather than admitting to yourself that the car actually costs 9 grand.

That’s the reason alright. And it works.

Anybody who knows America knows that if an item has a sticker price of 2 dollars you don’t just hand over 2 dollars, not in most states anyway. The tax is calculated at the cashier. It’s not on the price tag. With a sales tax of 8.5% after rounding the cost is $2:17 for a sticker price of $2 or $1.99

I even doubt that Bryson wrote that as it wouldn’t make sense to Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Candie wrote: »
    It works by targeting cold-sensitive TPRM8 receptors and stimulating them to generate heat, then they in turn signal the release of certain chemicals into the nervous system that inhibit the pain signals traveling, like a mild nerve block.

But do chemicals get absorbed? I'm just wondering because women more than five months pregnant can't use it on their backs because it causes kidney failure in the foetus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement