Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome New Members/Old Members - Introduce yourself here!

• 29-07-2014 9:42pm
    Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Farming & Forestry forum! The purpose of this forum is to provide a general forum for discussions of a farming or forestry nature, along with general queries and exchanges of people's experiences. Debate and discussion are part of the natural flow of this forum, as is a certain amount of banter and back and forth from time to time. But remember that youngsters sometimes make their way to this forum, so try to keep that in mind when posting.

On a related note, we would like to thank all posters for their input and their patience in the recent Healthcheck thread, and for working together towards making the F&F forum a better place.

We value all the posters who make this forum what it is by sharing their experience, knowledge (and wit), and we would be delighted to welcome back any posters who have previously contributed to the forum and no longer do so - their contributions would be valued as always.

So, new and not-so-new posters alike, feel free to introduce yourself here. Tell us something about yourself, where you're from, what kind of farming you engage in, whether you are single and have road frontage, or just feel free to say hello.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Maybe I'll get the ball rolling.
    Part time farming, Suckler cows with heifers to beef. Full time public servant.
    I'm about here a fair while but changed clothes earlier this year. If anyone didn't notice the username change they can PM me, but I doubt it's of any great consequence:)
    I usually try to be helpful here. I don't have an agenda, nor a party line. But I can't help myself sometimes with my attempts at humour.
    Oh, and I'm an Offaly man.
    Esto Fidelis;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

full time farming here, used to be all suckling, more finishing animals now, mainly freisians (poor mans cattle) though, :D....hope to go milking in the next couple of years, whether thats a good idea or not time will tell, do more studying on here than posting and have learnt alot, kilkenny man, and despite ye all probably thinking i have some of the best land in ireland let me assure ye i dont :D, thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Meath man here.
    Part-time suckler to beef. Took over the farm last April. Farm was dairy up to 6 years ago.
    I've started dabbling in pedigree parthenaise breeding.
    Macra member and highly involved with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭stanflt

Meath man here also
    Do a small bit of dairying
    And rear a few young dairy stock and bulls also

• Registered Users Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Westmeath man here.
    Work full time off farm.
    Part time dry stock farm. Into my masseys and machinery in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Time to get someone in from the West side of the country!
    Clare man.
    Part time suckler to store having taken over the farm about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Bordering the 3 Provinces, Hard to know which as spend allot of time in each.:rolleyes:
    Work Full-Time, & Farm Part-time (Hobby as some say).
    Have a few Sucklers to Weanling / Store & a few sheep too.
    Enjoy the Boards as lots of experience here & lots in similar boat, plus odd witt.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

Kildare man here, farming full time and in my second year of dairying, really enjoying it so far. I still have some beef cattle left and hope to convert these into dairy stock later this year. I'm also tillage farming but that's just a stop gap until I convert that to a grazing platform. I've been reading on here for a long time and decided lately to become more involved!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Full time farming, suckler cows, finished bulls to beef (ouch) this yr. Some tillage also bit of forestry on the bog. My motto is KISS keep it simple, stupid.:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Young farmer. Only at the start of my game. Some say I'm I'm looking for too much too quick. I say I'm ambitious.
    Born and half raised in Wicklow......don't know what Wexford has done for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Young lad aswell. Full time with sucklers on the Wild West coast in Clare. Here under a new guise, if ye haven't me figured out already I'll let ye stay guessing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Another Clare lad here. :cool:
    Keep a handful of sucklers.
    Probably one of the youngest posters on here so I read more than I post as I've fcuk all knowledge to share. However I've learned a lot in the few months I'm here so hopefully the forum stays going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I suppose I'd better introduce myself:cool:

North West suckler herd with my father, I tend to edge for blues and blondes, he's more of a Lim fan. Only part time but like to breed top end animals and show them when we can. Again as above, fairly young farmer but I am learning as I go.

Unfortunately I have a tendency to injure myself off horses, cliffs, high heels etc, etc.
    And hey mike, who needs road frontage when you're as lovely as me!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Galway man here , working off farm fulltime and part time farming with sucklers and a few drystock . Always dreaming of going farming fulltime but as time passes that seems to be put on the back burner :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

old timer from the mid west , :eek: :(
    full time farmer along with o/h & now my youngest son,

mainly dairying but also keep some stores and finish some heifers, also sheep, mainly early lamb. have also done livestock haulage in the past but scaled down lately.

I'm now in partnership with my son, he does a bit of contracting , mainly mowing for baler outfit,

got 3 other grown up kids as well, 1 in belfast and other 2 abroad currently.

been on boards for over 7 years and have learned a lot on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I'm From wexford. Mid 30's. Social drinker. Seeking woman with large acreage and pulse.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Suppose I should throw my own hat in the ring too :)

Another Galway man here, back on the family farm after many years overseas - didn't realise how much I missed it until I was away from it. Suckler to beef setup here too, all part-time but between the lot of us we keep it going. Been around boards.ie for quite a while now, lurked F&F for many years, learning as I went, before joining the mod team here.

And sorry .Kovu. - a bit of road frontage never did any harm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bordering three counties. Reluctant and late drafted onto family farm after public service & then self employed business of many years. Now fowl, forestry & the odd sport horse. Chicken, Geese, Turkey, Duck etc. All Free range poultry reared on farm. Mainly contract based - makes life hell of a lot easier....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Part time suckler farmer here, finishing heifers and selling bulls at random times, like some of the others ive been here a while under a different guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Willfarman wrote: »
    I'm From wexford. Mid 30's. Social drinker. Seeking woman with large acreage and pulse.

is that a ban guard with access to pulse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Westmeath man. Finishing from weanlings and stores. Full time job thank god.

finding boards better than any discussion group and everyone open about good and bad experience. Read a lot more than post cause often have nothing useful to add :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Laois man. Full time job and part time sheep farmer. On boards for good few years. Learnt loads here. Always enjoy the Craic and the answers to every questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

tipp man mid thirties.. working full full time on the family farm for the last 16 year's. dairy and replacements... 80 cows... f&f on boards is more or less my replacement for Teagasc, have had enough of them... much better hearing real world experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Galway born and bred. Full time off farm job. Returned to the home place after 14 years away. Part time farming with the auld man. Sucklers, all progency sold as weanlings and a small flock of sheep. Breed a few pedigree lims as a sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

From wexford, work full time and farm at home with the aul lad. Carry between 130-150 cattle at various ages, finish most of them ourselves, keep about 90 for the winter
    , also harvest about 250 tonnes of spring barley(not telling yee how many acres ;) )
    Would consider dairy some day but will see how the next 5 years go.
    We are very busy fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Newbie here.
    Working with beef finisher (weanling to steer) at the moment. Thinking of extracting milk from cows next year.
    Early 20s midlands 6ft4 big boned, wltm bubblely female for cooking d dinner and maybe more

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ted_182

New aswell, just turned twenty and farming with a couple of uncles. Small dairy farm in west cork (the real west cork with the rocks and the bogs :P) hoping to expand naturlly over the next few years without too much debt, studying ag in CIT aswell also work now and again with a top class dairy farmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Newbie here.
    Working with beef finisher (weanling to steer) at the moment. Thinking of extracting milk from cows next year.
    Early 20s midlands 6ft4 big boned, wltm bubblely female for cooking d dinner and maybe more

Karen ... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Late twenties Monaghan lad, just home after four years in New Zealand, away to ag college in September to learn how to do it properly! From a 60 cow pedigree holstein unit.

Monaghan farmer seeks country girl to enjoy the country lifestyle with. Must have ground to rear heifers and a good supply of crossbred bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jaysus this is turning into a lonely hearts column

Advertisement