Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

latenia wrote: »
    On the Hawkins St side of the Screen cinema there's a sign for Metroburger (a vile, disgusting little place) which used to be kind of built into the side of it.

I love that Metroburger sign! When was this place open? Did you ever eat there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Snapped this one this morning on the way to work. It's above the post office on Ushers Quay.

5d54610c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Enii wrote: »
    I love that Metroburger sign! When was this place open? Did you ever eat there?

I think it closed areound 1991..i used to get breakfast there when i worked in town back in t he day.
    You got sausage,rasher,egg,tea and toast for a pound..easily the cheapest anywhere.
    The problem with the place was that in the evenings it tended to be full of the rent boys athat plied thier trade on the quays!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Degsy wrote: »
    i used to get breakfast there when i worked in town back in t he day....it tended to be full of the rent boys athat plied thier trade on the quays!!

My, you are a dark horse Degsy ;)

WindSock wrote: »
    My, you are a dark horse Degsy ;)

Haha..i used to sell magazines..not me arse lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have spotted a few old advertisements that were painted onto the brickwork of buildings. I should snap them before they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have a heap of them and many that are already mentioned - I'll dig them out when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Great thread. I've also been fascinated by old dublin signs.

There's a couple of lovely ones on Harcourt Street. I'll get some snaps next time I'm around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

humberklog wrote: »
    It's a beautiful Robinson and O'Keefe Art Deco building. Well listed. Coffe shop to the front now and Trinity's school of nursing in the back.

I've a few classes in there and there's doors in the shape of coffins, I kid you not and one of my classes was in a room like a chapel. Very odd.

I'll be keeping my eye out for these Ghost signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

carrolls beside dublin bus on o connell street has 'twaithes' on the brickwork

the one gavin was talking about beside the headline is 'thomas keogh'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a good few here mairt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    As you turn up towards Arbour Hill, just past the Belfry pub there's an old sign for:

Worldwide Discount Airfares

Not even sure if there's a building behind it or if it's just a facade at this stage.

Thats the first one I thought of when I saw the thread

Ah..the mineral water manufacturers..have a few of thier bottles from the late 1880's..

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah..the mineral water manufacturers..have a few of thier bottles from the late 1880's..
    [URL="javascript:void(0)"]irishop_2080_190977080[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Larianne wrote: »

I'll be keeping my eye out for these Ghost signs.

Cool, isn't it nice that these threads bring a new awareness of whats around us?.

Its easy to look at the junkies along the Liffey, and plying their trade around Talbot St, Christ Church area etc and let the rest of the city go past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Great thread, I was noticing these buildings around the place and wanted to take a few pictures. There's a few great shop fronts at The Coombe/Dean Street that are about to be knocked down, must get a photo before they're gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Cool, isn't it nice that these threads bring a new awareness of whats around us?.

Its easy to look at the junkies along the Liffey, and plying their trade around Talbot St, Christ Church area etc and let the rest of the city go past.

I have noticed them before. Now I'll try get a few pics.

I have a heap of them and many that are already mentioned - I'll dig them out when I get a chance.
    As promised! :)
    deaddonkey wrote: »
    one on a building on Parnell Street, you see it as you walk down Nth Great George's Street. I think it's above the post office now, it's for a shoe and boot company

ParnellStreetPostOffice.jpg
    spurious wrote: »
    Up near the Black Church there's a sign for a hotel on one of the gables
    St Mary's Place North.

StMarysPlaceNorthHotel020209.jpg
    Bambi wrote: »
    you have "pure chemicals" and "nuzum bros" on a building on Pearse street. And you have "Finns hotel" just up the road
    Leinster Street South

LeinsterStreetSouthpureChemicals-1.jpg

Pearse Street

PearseStreetNuzumBros.jpg

Leinster Street South

LeinsterStreetSouthFinnsHotel1.jpg
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's a great one in Arbour Hill. Global Travel or something similar it's called
    ArbourHillAirFares.jpg
    latenia wrote: »
    On the Hawkins St side of the Screen cinema there's a sign for Metroburger (a vile, disgusting little place) which used to be kind of built into the side of it
    HawkinsStreetMetroBurger.jpg

OConnellStreetThwaites.jpg
    tricky D wrote:
    There's also a mosaic over Dunnes (if that's still there) on Grafton St which says Waterproofers I think. It's somewhere in the Dublin Picture Game.
    GraftonStreetWaterproofersDetail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

That one in Leinster Street brings back memories Wishbone. It was Lennox Labratory supplies my old man worked there for 30 odd years starting as a delivery boy on a bike bringing chemicals etc to the universities and hospitals before they moved out to the Nass Road. My Brother started in there when he was 16 doing the same thing and still works for them 25 years later.

Some of the old pub signs are great too, Clarkes in Irishtown has a sign right at the top of the building that is seldom "seen" announcing it's old name The Mountain View House can't see any mountains from it nowadays.

LeinsterStreetSouthpureChemicals-1.jpg

Makakomi..wher you off to in the suit? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

on the footpath on Richmond St there's a mosaic that says Tobaccconist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that one across from the AIB on dame st, near the entrance to the castle.I can't remember the full title but it's something sick and indigent workers society or some such. Haven't got a pic I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

those just jogged my memory, I think i know where theres an old coal yard advertisement painted on a wall near me., will snap a pic as soon as i can.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The thing that interests me is what you might see when you're not looking at something from the street level but thats what growing up in ballymun will do to ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dubtom wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned that one across from the AIB on dame st, near the entrance to the castle.I can't remember the full title but it's something sick and indigent workers society or some such. Haven't got a pic I'm afraid.

Oh yeah, it's a charity thing, i thought it was for sick and indigant landlords or some such :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

WicklowStreetSwitzerWide.jpg

Courtesy of : Wishbone Ash

My favourite "Ghost" sign , although I don't know if it counts, is the Gamesworld sign at the entrance to GameStop on Liffey St. No picture though...

dubtom wrote: »
    It's on Palace Street - (The shortest street in Dublin and with only 2 addresses. ;)).

It may not have been mentioned as it is still a functioning charity (although I'm not sure if it still operates from that premises).

PalaceStreet-1.jpg
    Bambi wrote: »
    i thought it was for sick and indigant landlords or some such :confused:
    A common misunderstanding but he term "roomkeepers" refers to the people/families who were forced to live in one room, not to the landlords who owned the rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Wow I love these, I use alot of them for college work, paint them in my sketch book etc.

I'll post some pics on Monday, have some brilliant ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I love the metro burger sign!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Click on pics for larger image.

Ghost_signs_4_thumb.jpg

Astone_Quay_ghost_sign_thumb.jpg ; Astone_Quay_ghost_sign_1_thumb.jpg

Advertisement