Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cant lose weight??

• 10-08-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

hi all
    i lost approx 7 stone a few years ago through healthy eating and exercise and i kept most of it off until i went on holidays a few months ago and i didnt count calories for the 3 weeks and ended up gaining 8lbs (and i was also out of my usual gym routine)
    for the past month or so i have been back to exercising every day and eating about 900-1000 calories and the weight is not shifting. im 70.2kg and 5ft 6 so i still have plenty of fat to shed, but my weight moves up and down between 69 and 71kg during the week.

now i know this seems like too little food but i also tried upping my food intake to 2000 calories for a week and my weight rocketed up...

i do insanity 6 days a week which is high interval training and some bodyweight squats
    eat vegetarian, no fried food whatsoever (everything is grilled or baked) and i dont eat potatoes,pasta,etc.

can anyone help its very frustrating that im working so hard and not getting anywhere :( for the past week and a half ive been doing intermittent fasting where i fast for 23 hours then eat my daily calorie goal in one meal, hoping it would shock my body a bit and help the weight come off but nope...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Muscle is heavier than fat, perhaps you are just fit now?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dani049

Muscle is heavier than fat, perhaps you are just fit now?

my body still looks the same in the mirror, i took pics on the day i started counting calories/exercising and compared them yesterday and still the same. i'd imagine if this was the case i would look leaner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do you know what your BMR is?

How accurate is your tracking of your intake?

If you're honest in that you're only having 1000 kcals a day and not losing weight or putting it on, then a trip to the doctor is in order.

Otherwise, you're not tracking accurately.

Do you know what your BMR is?

How accurate is your tracking of your intake?

If you're honest in that you're only having 1000 kcals a day and not losing weight or putting it on, then a trip to the doctor is in order.

Otherwise, you're not tracking accurately.

I tried one of those BMR calculator sites before it was about 1500 dunno how accurate they are though.

i track my food 100%, i have an app on my phone called myfitnesspal and every morning i plan out what im eating for the day. i fast 23 hours and eat the exact food within an hour in the evening (around 6.30pm)

have been to my doctor and they werent interested in investigating further. did blood tests that showed normal, diabetes that was negative and tested for thyroid problems which came back clear as well

most days i eat less than 1000, it would be closer to 900. today i had 935cals and did insanity for 55 mins which probably burned at least 300, so really my body is only getting 600 odd calories a day but still no weight loss

dani049 wrote: »
    I tried one of those BMR calculator sites before it was about 1500 dunno how accurate they are though.

i track my food 100%, i have an app on my phone called myfitnesspal and every morning i plan out what im eating for the day. i fast 23 hours and eat the exact food within an hour in the evening (around 6.30pm)

have been to my doctor and they werent interested in investigating further. did blood tests that showed normal, diabetes that was negative and tested for thyroid problems which came back clear as well

most days i eat less than 1000, it would be closer to 900. today i had 935cals and did insanity for 55 mins which probably burned at least 300, so really my body is only getting 600 odd calories a day but still no weight loss

I'm not a doctor and I'm not trying to be smart but you do know the BMR is what you body needs to function?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is simply not possible. Either you're miscounting somewhere, or someone is pouring cola into your mouth as you sleep.

I'm not a doctor and I'm not trying to be smart but you do know the BMR is what you body needs to function?

BMR is the amount of calories you burn while resting as far as i know? without the added in exercise?

Zillah wrote: »
    This is simply not possible. Either you're miscounting somewhere, or someone is pouring cola into your mouth as you sleep.

well im afraid to say it is true. i would video it all day every day to prove it if i could. i am not miscounting, the calories are on the food, i weigh everything, track it in my phone. i plan out what to eat and eat exactly what is on the days list, nothing more or less.

it is frustrating and thats why i posted here. i exercise so hard and my body is dripping in sweat afterwards so theres definitely a good calorie burn there..but the weight isnt moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Post a typical days food please

Mellor wrote: »
    Post a typical days food please

2 slices wholegrain bread - 165cal
    100g banana - 90cal
    20g peanut butter - 120cal
    250ml soy milk - 100cal
    2 quorn chicken fillet - 90cal
    2 laughing cow light cheese triangles - 50cal
    onion - 30 cals
    lettuce & tomato - 50 cal
    clif bar - 240cal

thats what I had today

edit: i weigh/measure everything so I know the calories are fairly close to accurate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

2 slices wholegrain bread - 165cal
    100g banana - 90cal
    20g peanut butter - 120cal
    250ml soy milk - 100cal
    2 quorn chicken fillet - 90cal
    2 laughing cow light cheese triangles - 50cal
    onion - 30 cals
    lettuce & tomato - 50 cal
    clif bar - 240cal

thats what I had today

edit: i weigh/measure everything so I know the calories are fairly close to accurate

What height and weight are you?

I would literally drop dead asleep at about 3pm on a diet like that.

Also with all the soy/low fat stuff you seem to be living on sugar, do you find you are permanently hungry?

What is a clif bar? This seems to be almost a quarter of your calories?

And you've minimal fruit and veg in there too, do you eat those at all, apart from a bit of lettuce (which is just water), tomato and onion?

I often feel ashamed that I eat so little fruit and veg, but compared to you I get in about four servings of fruit and four of veg a day

Stheno wrote: »
    What height and weight are you?

I would literally drop dead asleep at about 3pm on a diet like that.

Also with all the soy/low fat stuff you seem to be living on sugar, do you find you are permanently hungry?

What is a clif bar? This seems to be almost a quarter of your calories?

And you've minimal fruit and veg in there too, do you eat those at all, apart from a bit of lettuce (which is just water), tomato and onion?

I often feel ashamed that I eat so little fruit and veg, but compared to you I get in about four servings of fruit and four of veg a day

I dont like any fruit apart from bananas, i'd eat a banana maybe once or twice a week (usually with peanut butter on bread). usually i'd eat bell peppers and onions quite a lot, i like lettuce, green beans, asparagus, scallions and zuccini now and then. not a fan of most other veg.

clif bar is like a protein bar type thing, dont have them too often it just happened to be today. usually in place of that i would have 2 bread thins with a bit of grated cheese, onions, and bell peppers grilled.

don't purposely eat low fat, i just can't eat any fried food anymore it makes me sick. i fast for 23 hours then eat for an hour, i get full fairly quickly and don't feel hungry for the rest of the night. i only start to feel slightly hungry around 4pm the next day but i wait until i get home at 6.30 to eat.

oh and 5'6 and 11stone 2lb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

There is something very wrong here. Insanity burns a huge amount of calories, therefore as you do it 6 days a week then you are most definitely running close to a calorie deficit each day. Also, can you advise, are you doing insanity and not eating before or after then if you are fasting for 23 hours? I think something is messed up with this over rigorous routine and super strict diet. There is more to life that being a size 10, I think you need to focus on being healthy and getting your metabolism and body morning properly before you literally drop.

There is something very wrong here. Insanity burns a huge amount of calories, therefore as you do it 6 days a week then you are most definitely running close to a calorie deficit each day. Also, can you advise, are you doing insanity and not eating before or after then if you are fasting for 23 hours? I think something is messed up with this over rigorous routine and super strict diet. There is more to life that being a size 10, I think you need to focus on being healthy and getting your metabolism and body morning properly before you literally drop.

intermittent fasting isn't unhealthy, but I agree the low amount of food probably is. that said, when i eat over that amount I gain weight. eating 900-1000cals per day and doing insanity is only maintaining my weight, when I ate extra for a week my weight shot up.

I have completed Insanity 4 times so this time when I began it, I did one week of month 1 then moved on to the month 2 workouts (which are more intense) so I am burning a high amount of calories and should have good weight loss results but its not happening.. :/

I do insanity before I eat, I wouldn't be able to do it after because I eat all my calories in one sitting so im usually feeling very full for the evening

I think you may need to see your doctor, month two of insanity, (which I have done twice) burns about 600cals a pop, ig you are eating 900 in a day, you are only leaving 300 for your body to function. What are you doing to yourself at all when you think of it?

I think you may need to see your doctor, month two of insanity, (which I have done twice) burns about 600cals a pop, ig you are eating 900 in a day, you are only leaving 300 for your body to function. What are you doing to yourself at all when you think of it?

Yeah I know, its very frustrating, thats why i posted here. i see people i live with sit down and eat big dinners every day (that are probably equal calories of what i eat in a whole day) and its upsetting i cant eat like that and i have to count every calorie that goes in my mouth.

i dont know if losing the 7 stone has just messed with my metabolism or if its an age thing. in my mid 20s now but i lost that weight about 2 years ago.

i said it to my doctor before, its pointless. the blood tests came back ok and so did the thyroid test so they arent worried. sadly any time i speak to my doctor about something that could be related to my weight/diet, the answer is "i think you need to eat meat again" as if it will cure everything.

Ah sure doctors aren't dieticians, protein is protein wherever it comes from.

Losing 7 stone is a lot for sure and looking at what you post it just seems too intense to me, do you feel tired?

How long have you been eating such a restricted diet for?

Ah sure doctors aren't dieticians, protein is protein wherever it comes from.

Losing 7 stone is a lot for sure and looking at what you post it just seems too intense to me, do you feel tired?

I never feel tired until after I do insanity..then I don't want to move. but its an intense workout so I think most people would feel the same. in general though im not too bad

just weighed myself and today i am 70.6kg, yesterday I was 70kg and did Max interval plyo which is one of the hardest workouts in the series. I know weight changes every day, but this is how it is the whole time..I bounce up and down from around 69.6kg to 71kg, never go below that and I don't think my weight has been in the 69's in a few weeks.

i "officially" weigh myself in my local chemist once a week and last week I was up a pound on their scales despite the fact i've been eating well and exercising every day

How long have you been eating such a restricted diet for?

about 5 weeks

I have one "cheat day" a week where I eat on a normal scheduele and don't count calories or exercise, but I still eat pretty well on that day and my food intake would be no more than 1500 cals

• Advertisement

I really do not want to insult you, but I think its very obsessive the way you are weighing daily and then weekly. If you were to revert to 1200 cals a day for a few weeks and exercising your insanity, would you try and see how an effect of maybe three weeks to a month of that has.
    TO be fair, what you are doing now isn't working anyway!

now i know this seems like too little food but i also tried upping my food intake to 2000 calories for a week and my weight rocketed up...

To what?

Bear in mind, you only tried it for a week.

To what?

Bear in mind, you only tried it for a week.

up 3lbs
    That is true but honestly I was afraid to keep doing it and keep gaining weight considering its so hard to get it off!

edit: actually it was 2.5lbs exactly

I really do not want to insult you, but I think its very obsessive the way you are weighing daily and then weekly. If you were to revert to 1200 cals a day for a few weeks and exercising your insanity, would you try and see how an effect of maybe three weeks to a month of that has.

you're not insulting me at all. I know when it comes to my diet I have become obsessive about it - I have to be because if I dont I gain weight (eg. when i was on holiday and didnt count calories) its frustrating and other people think im a freak because I cant sit down and stuff my face. instead i am thinking how hard I would have to work to burn that off....although nowadays I cant even think like that because no matter how hard I push myself I lose nothing!

I have been thinking about maybe stopping the exercise for 2 weeks, but eat the same amount of food (since I wont be burning as much it will actually be healthier for my body) and see if I have any weight decrease on the scales then.

up 3lbs
    That is true but honestly I was afraid to keep doing it and keep gaining weight considering its so hard to get it off!

edit: actually it was 2.5lbs exactly

So about 1kg.

You've already said there are fluctuations across a 2kg range during the week.

Maybe try going up to 1500 and stop being so fixated on it because you're making it worse for yourself. It strikes me as though your every waking hour revolves around calorie counting, making sure not to eat outside a one-hour window and weighing yourself too often. I'd just be concerned that it could take control of you.

And any change in eating habits has to be assessed over a longer timeframe than 1 week. Your body needs to adjust.

I agree with the Alf Veedersane (love that name lol) , try not to fixate for awhile, you clearly are very engrossed in it and it really doesn't bring about a general happiness either. I also have similar stats to you and lose about 1lb a week but I exercise about 4times a week and eat 1300-1500 cals a day with a bit of wine at the weekends. I see people around me who are a stone or more lighter horsing every manner of crap into their couch potato head and never gain....such is life, but I know there can be a frustration as well.

By the way, well done on losing 7 stone, that's fantasticl Just remember now, as strict as you were being to lose all that, you are in a completely different place now and do not need to lose 7stone, maybe 1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you may need to see your doctor, month two of insanity, (which I have done twice) burns about 600cals a pop,
    It's probably a fair bit less than that, depending on the persons bodyweight.

I think thats a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

you're not insulting me at all. I know when it comes to my diet I have become obsessive about it - I have to be because if I dont I gain weight (eg. when i was on holiday and didnt count calories) its frustrating and other people think im a freak because I cant sit down and stuff my face. instead i am thinking how hard I would have to work to burn that off....although nowadays I cant even think like that because no matter how hard I push myself I lose nothing!

I have been thinking about maybe stopping the exercise for 2 weeks, but eat the same amount of food (since I wont be burning as much it will actually be healthier for my body) and see if I have any weight decrease on the scales then.

I actually think its a good thing that you have the ability to monitor calories and stick to a daily goal. However what you're currently doing is not healthy.

Maintenance for you would be about 1500kcals (check it here: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html) and that wouldnt take into account for high intensity classes.

Its clear that your metabolism is all over the place and I think you should just pause and take 2 steps back and analyse the situation.

You need to:
    1. Step away from the scale (these fluctuations are very likely water weight). Measure yourself once a month. (For girls bloat due to their cycle can cause massive fluctuations in weight)
    2. Move up to 1500kcals.
    3. Spread your calories across a minimum of 3 meals (5-6 if possible)
    4. Ensure that you get a mix of protein, fats and carbs in each of these meals
    5. Stick at the high intensity workouts. The increased calories will give you more energy to workout harder and fire up your metabolism (also allow you to build/repair more muscle - which will inturn burn more fat)
    6. Stay away from alcohol. You havent mentioned any alcohol consumption at all? I know some people who could consume a weeks worth of calories in alcohol during 2 nights out at a weekend.
    7. The goal should be long term health and body composition improvement. Short term crash dieting does NOT work.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

What does your weekend look like? Do you have a bottle of wine? a pizza, tub of ice cream etc?

Also weighing yourself in the chemist is a bad idea, your weight will vary hugely depending on the time of the day / hydration / what you are wearing. You should weight yourself in the morning after you pee wearing just your underwear. do this as often as you like and graph it. It will be vary across the week but the important thing is that it should be on a downward trend over a 2-3 week range.

If you are genuinely eating 1000 calories every day (its very easy erase your week's deficit with a cheat day) you should be dropping weight. Now its not the case 99% of the time but its possible that you have done some metabolic damage by being in too large a deficit for too long combined with high intensity training. like others have said it may be worth returning to maintenance, you could reverse diet back up 150/cals a week if it makes you feel better.
    You will gain weight initially but it will stabilise. Don't be afraid of a few kg in the short term as you are trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

for the past week and a half ive been doing intermittent fasting where i fast for 23 hours then eat my daily calorie goal in one meal, hoping it would shock my body a bit and help the weight come off but nope...

This can't be healthy

Advertisement