Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this ash dieback?

Options
  • 19-02-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Thanks for any help

473534.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Hard to tell , do you have a picture of the branches of the tree, not as close up, here are some definite ash dieback pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StopWatch

Hard to tell , do you have a picture of the branches of the tree, not as close up, here are some definite ash dieback pics.

Not at site today, will try to take more pics tomorrow, thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Got a bump

Pretty sure we've got Ash dieback here, actually looks very like what killed a young Ash tree here in 2010

How do I report it and what happens then

Thank You Everyone
    StopWatch wrote: »
    Not at site today, will try to take more pics tomorrow, thanks for reply

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Got a bump

Pretty sure we've got Ash dieback here, actually looks very like what killed a young Ash tree here in 2010

How do I report it and what happens then

Thank You Everyone

Report it to your local forestry inspector, I'm not sure what the department policy on removing ash is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Report it to your local forestry inspector, I'm not sure what the department policy on removing ash is at the moment.

Seeing a massive amount of dieback recently in mature trees in field boundaries, gardens and road sides. Up to 90 % trees affected in some areas in East Galway, Longford, Cavan.
    Hadn't noticed it at all last year but seems to be very widespread this year.
    Is it the same all over the country??

• Advertisement

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Seeing a massive amount of dieback recently in mature trees in field boundaries, gardens and road sides. Up to 90 % trees affected in some areas in East Galway, Longford, Cavan.
    Hadn't noticed it at all last year but seems to be very widespread this year.
    Is it the same all over the country??

I've noticed a good few hedgerow trees here in kildare, struggling this year, like the one in the pic, it's a bit early yet to see the damage to this year's leaf crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I've noticed a good few hedgerow trees here in kildare, struggling this year, like the one in the pic, it's a bit early yet to see the damage to this year's leaf crop.

I'm also in Kildare and I notice that nearly every second tree I see is infected at this point especially along the M7

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Many trees with partial canopies this year, so expect to see the full effects next spring. Looking a lot like the level of devastation that occurred to elm.

I presume the various state agencies have given up on any notification or control measures.

I'm finding it hard to find trees without ash Dieback these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Has the dept figured out what they plan to do yet?

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote:
    Has the dept figured out what they plan to do yet?

anything below 15 meters in height is eligible for grant aid to take out infected trees

young plantations, complete removal and restocking (up to 7 meters)

older plantations €750 per hectare to remove infected trees (7 to 15 meters)

fergus1001 wrote: »
    anything below 15 meters in height is eligible for grant aid to take out infected trees

young plantations, complete removal and restocking (up to 7 meters)

older plantations €750 per hectare to remove infected trees (7 to 15 meters)

I thought they suspended that plan about a year ago?

TheBody wrote:
    I thought they suspended that plan about a year ago?

no this is the new one

no this is the new one

Oh that’s good. I couldn’t find any info on it online.

Any links to the current scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I'm finding it hard to find trees without ash Dieback these days

Fergus, do you know if there is any provision to identify the (presumable) <1% of ash that will have immunity and making sure they don't get taken out or is it going to be a case of wholesale removal without any attempt to breed from resistant individuals?
    I'm in Kildare also and it is really apparent (to me) this year that the future losses will be massive given the levels of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

What do my forestry friends here recommend to do with trees that are showing signs of dieback in a small domestic plantation (50 to 100 trees of varied species, majority ash and a good few showing signs)? Also hedgerow trees in the area showing effects.

Should I ...
    *take them out straight away and get ready to replant something else this winter
    *wait til winter to remove
    *cut for firewood and store as usual
    *treat with something and store as usual
    *bury/burn on site (not a chance!)

Thanks

What do my forestry friends here recommend to do with trees that are showing signs of dieback in a small domestic plantation (50 to 100 trees of varied species, majority ash and a good few showing signs)? Also hedgerow trees in the area showing effects.

Should I ...
    *take them out straight away and get ready to replant something else this winter
    *wait til winter to remove
    *cut for firewood and store as usual
    *treat with something and store as usual
    *bury/burn on site (not a chance!)

Thanks

Cut them whenever you get the time, and use them for firewood.

In relation to the previous post, there is some research going on too find resistant trees, but it will become obvious in a few years, which native trees, growing on ditches and hedges are resistant, as they will be the trees still able to grow leaves, we will be lucky if 3 - 5% of trees are resistant

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Cut them whenever you get the time, and use them for firewood.

In relation to the previous post, there is some research going on too find resistant trees, but it will become obvious in a few years, which native trees, growing on ditches and hedges are resistant, as they will be the trees still able to grow leaves, we will be lucky if 3 - 5% of trees are resistant

Elm crashed in the 70s and 80s and only now are we starting to see resistant trees become available. I'm sure its still well below 5% of its original figure and I don't see any large scale planting efforts.

I've a feeling ash could end up same way. In some ways its actually worse than elm, in that the disease is attacking young trees(less than 10), where as elm can last 20-30 years before attack.

I've visited three different woods in central Europe this summer and I could see large numbers of ash failing at about 5 years. There were mature trees as well, but many of these had lesions, so presumably only a matter of time.

I honestly don't see any large scale planting of native resistant ash the next 20 years. I would love to be wrong, but I think the risks are just too high.

Advertisement