Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mate 20 Pro

Comments

tedpan wrote: »
    Definitely not true. My old photos backed up over a year ago are terrible when compared to the originals when viewing on a PC. Maybe not noticeable on a phone..

It wasn't compared on a phone. A tech website did detailed comparisons at full res on PCs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Basil3 wrote:
    It wasn't compared on a phone. A tech website did detailed comparisons at full res on PCs.

Why don't you try yourself? I've printed photos and can clearly see the difference.

tedpan wrote: »
    Why don't you try yourself? I've printed photos and can clearly see the difference.

I did some comparisons myself when I first read the article a year or two ago, and I was happy enough.

Phone arena did a comparison only a month or two ago as well, and they concluded that you can only notice a difference when zooming over 500%.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Photos-High-quality-vs-Original-Whats-the-difference-and-should-you-care_id93938

In any case, I have 1TB on OneDrive, so have full res copies anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

It's not just pricey, it's idiotic

Speed up the phone? How?

Cool your jets man and ... your sd card. ;)

"Everytime" you do something on the phone,it refresh the storage.
    Internal storage then external one.
    The OS is rebuilding the index for all the files /photos.
    I remember some time ago it said that it creates some previes or indexes for the photos,cant rememebr where.

So,by moving the space storage hungry photos on to the card,you free up the internal memeory.Same as with a PC,we keep OS on a drive / partition and the files and movies on a separate drive / partition for speed and backup.
    Defragging the internal space separate from external storage has its own advantages.

Not lastly,if you "internla memory" dies with the phone,all your stored data is gone too.With a SD card,you can use it after and/or make regular backups on to PC.

I guess all above applies to all devices and nothign wrong with Mate 20,which i really pro love it.

Be good...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

rolion wrote:
    So,by moving the space storage hungry photos on to the card,you free up the internal memeory.Same as with a PC,we keep OS on a drive / partition and the files and movies on a separate drive / partition for speed and backup. Defragging the internal space separate from external storage has its own advantages.

Defragging on solid state storage???

Anyway, adding a card will increase storage although is another chain in the link so will cause a minor reduction in speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

rolion wrote: »

I remember some time ago it said that it creates some previes or indexes for the photos,cant rememebr where.

So,by moving the space storage hungry photos on to the card,you free up the internal memeory.Same as with a PC,we keep OS on a drive / partition and the files and movies on a separate drive / partition for speed and backup.
    Defragging the internal space separate from external storage has its own advantages.

Not lastly,if you "internla memory" dies with the phone,all your stored data is gone too.With a SD card,you can use it after and/or make regular backups on to PC.

I guess all above applies to all devices and nothign wrong with Mate 20,which i really pro love it.

Be good...

I don't think you understand how Android works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Update this morning to 9.0.0.187

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Hi I'm due an upgrade but I'm undecided between the Huawei p20 pro and the mate pro. Salesman in three recommended the p20 pro saying the mate was not worth the 300 euro extra. Is it worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Greywolverine

fennor72 wrote: »
    Hi I'm due an upgrade but I'm undecided between the Huawei p20 pro and the mate pro. Salesman in three recommended the p20 pro saying the mate was not worth the 300 euro extra. Is it worth the extra money?

Check the issue with free public wifi, im only a few days into ownership and rely heavily on free wifi in work as phone signal not greatest. And what do i discover? 🀀 Phone will not connect to wifi ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just a heads up it's 752 euro from Littlewoods at the moment with a new account using discount code NEW19 for 15 percent off before Feb 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

rolion wrote: »

Be good...

Google Photos. You don't need the photos stored anywhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Check the issue with free public wifi, im only a few days into ownership and rely heavily on free wifi in work as phone signal not greatest. And what do i discover? 🀀 Phone will not connect to wifi ...

Is the issue with the p20 pro or with the mate 20 pro

kala85 wrote: »

Every make I've heard, and it's common do a Google search

Seems to be with the P20. I've had no issues with this phone.

Well its a problem with P20 Pro - And no one knows how to solve it.

-- So its bye bye --

Samsung S9 here we come

Well its a problem with P20 Pro - And no one knows how to solve it.

-- So its bye bye --

Samsung S9 here we come

This thread is about the Mate 20 Pro.

This thread is about the Mate 20 Pro.

No sh*t sherlock

No sh*t sherlock

No need to answer like that!

Just want to say that though I initially had problems with my battery life, to the point that I wanted to exchange the handset, I can now say that I am beyond thrilled with this Mate 20 pro.
    Very fast very responsive and battery has improved tremendously.
    All in all very happy and highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Any update on the public wifi problem

Any update on the public wifi problem

There's no public WiFi problem with this phone. The problem is with the P20 pro. Somebody posted in the wrong thread. (And didn't take too kindly to being told).

• Advertisement

dragona wrote: »
    No need to answer like that!

Just want to say that though I initially had problems with my battery life, to the point that I wanted to exchange the handset, I can now say that I am beyond thrilled with this Mate 20 pro.
    Very fast very responsive and battery has improved tremendously.
    All in all very happy and highly recommend.

Did the factory reset sort out the battery issue for you or did you do something else?

Did the factory reset sort out the battery issue for you or did you do something else?

Actually....I did something else.Under Battery Settings there is App launch. It was set to manage all automatically, so I undid that and am managing all manually.

Have to go into each app individually and disable Auto launch,Secondary launch, and Run in background. Did that for most, apart from Maps and my email app, and a few others such as BBC News etc.

Don't need Facebook, Instagram and other rubbish constantly updating and running.

Battery is now amazing. I am very happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ended up buying a sim free mate 20 Pro for 570 euros the twilight one as well from amazon de yesterday will have it during the week can't wait.

Have had the mate 10 Pro for the past year and I don't have a bad word to say about it probably one of the best phones I have ever had. Just upgrading as I just won't a larger screen.

Hopefully the battery will be as good at the mate 10 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ended up buying a sim free mate 20 Pro for 570 euros the twilight one as well from amazon de yesterday will have it during the week can't wait.

Have had the mate 10 Pro for the past year and I don't have a bad word to say about it probably one of the best phones I have ever had. Just upgrading as I just won't a larger screen.

Hopefully the battery will be as good at the mate 10 Pro.

I can't find it for that price on amazon.de. I do see it for 670 though? Is that what you meant?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive an upgrade sitting here where I could get the s10+ for €299 or the mate pro for the same price.
    Never really been a fan of Samsungs until I saw the specs on this years one but Im disappointed with no Snapdragon 855-I really thought we`d get that here in Europe.

The Exynos seems a bit far behind the 855 and is slower than the Mate 20 pro in benchmarks coming out.

Anyone got a real world opinion on these-Ive seen both in the flesh but really cant decide.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive an upgrade sitting here where I could get the s10+ for €299 or the mate pro for the same price.
    Never really been a fan of Samsungs until I saw the specs on this years one but Im disappointed with no Snapdragon 855-I really thought we`d get that here in Europe.

The Exynos seems a bit far behind the 855 and is slower than the Mate 20 pro in benchmarks coming out.

Anyone got a real world opinion on these-Ive seen both in the flesh but really cant decide.

Regarding the processor, I stopped benching devices about 5 years ago. You really aren't going to notice a difference in day-to-day life. I've flip-flopped between Snapdragon and Exynos devices, and they've all been fast and smooth.

I guess it comes down to whether it bothers you that a device that benches higher is out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Got my mate 20 Pro after from amazon de

So far I think the screen is amazing!!!. A huge upgrade from the mate 10 Pro.

I think the phone is huge with its 6.4 inch screen but somehow my girlfirends XS max looks nearly twice the size beside this phone.

Speed and things is fantastic on it.

Battery life is meh I think but I think this is down to the fact the screen is a lot brighter ans higher resolution.

Fast charge is even better then the mate 10 Pro.

But for 570 euros I am extremely impressed with the phone I paid 460 I think for my mate 10 Pro last year and I tought that was also a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

just moved over from S8 to Mate 20 Pro

All good bar the screen colors which I find a bit washed out looking compared to the S8

I've tried different settings using the color wheel but still cant get them to pop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

My S7 edge is on it's last legs due to a cracked screen, I was going to go with the S10+ but after seeing this phone in the shops and from what I read about the Mate 20 Pro on the net, I think I will give Huawei a go. Going to hold out till the P30 is launched next week and see if the price drops on the Mate 20 Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Lfcfan2017

Davexirl wrote: »
    My S7 edge is on it's last legs due to a cracked screen, I was going to go with the S10+ but after seeing this phone in the shops and from what I read about the Mate 20 Pro on the net, I think I will give Huawei a go. Going to hold out till the P30 is launched next week and see if the price drops on the Mate 20 Pro.

If you can hold out until next week. Huawei have an announcement on the 26th. The new P30 and P30 Pro will be making an appearance.

Advertisement