Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 8.1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

breeno wrote: »
    Yea a photo comparison would be great if you had a chance but don't go out of your way! I had the 7 Plus and it was generally rock solid but the camera let it down a bit. The reviews seems to be suggesting it's much improved on the 8.1 (for the price range at least) and I'm getting tempted!

I'll see what I can do! The 7 Plus is at home now, and I'll be cleaning it up and factory resetting it later to sell it on, so I should be able to snap something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Bad news I'm afraid.

There's no FM radio on the device and according to the link below, neither LDAC or APTx support either.

https://www.tspn1.com/2018/12/nokia-81-vs-xiaomi-mi-mix-3-comparisons.html

To update the above:
    I was only going by the specs on GSM arena when I was talking about FM earlier.
    But in a surprise twist, there actually is FM radio on this phone :D

Also, according to these links, LDAC and AptX are indeed supported!

Last line before the specs:
    https://www.androidauthority.com/nokia-8-1-931780/

Post number 3:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-8-1/help/nokia-8-1-support-ldac-using-sony-wh-t3878674

Great news and thanks a mil for the links - This phone is becoming a very interesting prospect to buy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Got the phone at 7 this evening, fully set up now (OCD)... So far so good, user experience is fluid, form factor is better than I expected. Grey colour looks better than expected. User interface is a big step compared to my three year old phone. Notch would be less annoying if they colour coordinated it with the app below (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). Feels very lightweight compared to the M10 (not a positive). Qualcomm quickcharger not working with it. But I do have a spare Anker fast charger that I'll try. FM radio only works with headphones.

... I have activated the black background to hide the notch. I actually liked the idea of the notch, but prefer how it looks with the black bar at the top. Unfortunately it also adds a black bar at the bottom in some apps.

All FM radio apps need a headset plugged in to work.
    The headset acts as an antenna for the signal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Got the phone at 7 this evening, fully set up now (OCD)... So far so good, user experience is fluid, form factor is better than I expected. Grey colour looks better than expected. User interface is a big step compared to my three year old phone. Notch would be less annoying if they colour coordinated it with the app below (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). Feels very lightweight compared to the M10 (not a positive). Qualcomm quickcharger not working with it. But I do have a spare Anker fast charger that I'll try. FM radio only works with headphones.

... I have activated the black background to hide the notch. I actually liked the idea of the notch, but prefer how it looks with the black bar at the top. Unfortunately it also adds a black bar at the bottom in some apps.
    Tnx 4 the information

• Advertisement

Update. I'm really happy with the phone so far... I won't go into what I like about it, just to say that I am very satisfied with the purchase.

My comments are:
    Speaker placement, it's too easy to cover the speaker with your thumb.
    Screen size is too big... I'd be happy with a 5.5" screen
    It's a bit slippy slidey in your hand... Exaggerated by the size.
    Here's the big issue... My sennheiser headphones dont work very well with it. They work with every other phone I've had, but with this one the volume is too low and more importantly, the microphone quality is ****... It is too low, crackelly, traffic noise is audible above my voice... So I have to unplug my headphones to speak on a call. This is a massive problem for me, and is really activating me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Whats the battery life like compared to the 7 plus Marc?

I have absolutely no reason to upgrade as the 7 plus has been very hassle free... But new phone..

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Whats the battery life like compared to the 7 plus Marc?

I have absolutely no reason to upgrade as the 7 plus has been very hassle free... But new phone..

This is probably where I am most disappointed in the upgrade.

It's a loss of 8% in the overall size from 3,800 to 3,500 but it somehow seems like more in everyday use.

Perhaps I'm just oversensitive to it, as it now shows 23 hours since last charge, with 46% left on the indicator.

But they should have stuck with the same battery, if not bigger, IMO :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's a loss of 8% in the overall size from 3,800 to 3,500 but it somehow seems like more in everyday use.

Perhaps I'm just oversensitive to it, as it now shows 23 hours since last charge, with 46% left on the indicator.

How much screen on time?

I get through about 16 hours and still have 20% (ish battery) left. I consider myself a demanding user, except I don't play games.

Yesterday I had 13h 33minutes screen on time... thats actually quites scary... I still had battery at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That's a pity. It's slightly smaller than the 7 plus, isn't it? Bigger screen but smaller body.

I'm still tempted, mind.

How much screen on time?

Just 3
    That's a pity. It's slightly smaller than the 7 plus, isn't it? Bigger screen but smaller body.

I'm still tempted, mind.

Yeah it's slightly smaller, almost unnoticeable.
    I've had no other issues, and the better processor and bigger, brighter screen is an improvement for sure.

I'm not unhappy with the change, i just might need to charge a bit more often :)

How much screen on time?

Just 3

I'm still tempted, mind.

Yeah it's slightly smaller, almost unnoticeable.
    I've had no other issues, and the better processor and bigger, brighter screen is an improvement for sure.

I'm not unhappy with the change, i just might need to charge a bit more often :)
    Is it much brighter, smallie has 7 plus and personally think it's far too dark

It struck me as being a nice bit brighter when I had the 2 side by side. I checked the brightness settings and they were similar to each other. I'm used to it now and it's still nice and sharp looking :)

It struck me as being a nice bit brighter when I had the 2 side by side. I checked the brightness settings and they were similar to each other. I'm used to it now and it's still nice and sharp looking :)
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ordered one of these today, looking forward to having a fingerprint scanner that actually works again

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ordered one of these today, looking forward to having a fingerprint scanner that actually works again

Where did you purchase from CIAB? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Where did you purchase from CIAB? :)

Went with Eglobal as well, the €70 odd price difference was too great to turn down, particularly as I wasn't in too much of a rush with it.

Anyone who has one of these getting repeat notification?
    The phone beeps again 2 minutes later, if you don't check the initial notification.
    And every 2 minutes after that, until you look at the fooking thing.
    I have had no luck getting to the bottom of it.
    Google suggest a certain setting that doesn't exist on my phone.
    Very annoying :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anyone who has one of these getting repeat notification?
    The phone beeps again 2 minutes later, if you don't check the initial notification.
    And every 2 minutes after that, until you look at the fooking thing.
    I have had no luck getting to the bottom of it.
    Google suggest a certain setting that doesn't exist on my phone.
    Very annoying :(

I've noticed that on my Nokia 7 Plus recently too.

• Advertisement

I've noticed that on my Nokia 7 Plus recently too.

I don't suppose you have found a solution AC? :)

I don't suppose you have found a solution AC? :)

Only started looking since I seen your post and found this.

Settings -> Display -> Advanced -> Ambient Display -> New Notifications

Mine was set to periodically. I've changed it to Once so hopefully that sorts it.

Only started looking since I seen your post and found this.

Settings -> Display -> Advanced -> Ambient Display -> New Notifications

Mine was set to periodically. I've changed it to Once so hopefully that sorts it.

Unfortunately, my new notifications is a toggle, not a menu.
    It can only be set to on or off :(

https://imgur.com/a/Q6mOKAK

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

what software version are you folks on?
    Still stuck on the Jan security update running the 00WW_2_47A_SP01 build. Am wondering if that's the same for anyone else?

Yeah, I'm on the same build!
    Pretty poor show from an Android One device if I'm honest :(

Yeah, I'm on the same build!
    Pretty poor show from an Android One device if I'm honest :(

I have the same ambient notification settings as you. I'd guess AlmightyCushion has a different version to us.
    I got mine from Amazon.co.uk from some 3rd part seller. Pretty sure they sold me a Taiwanese version. From the looks of the thread, you got yours from eglobal? figure we have the same hardware version if so and if that's the case, we appear to be on a really slow update cycle.

I have the same ambient notification settings as you. I'd guess AlmightyCushion has a different version to us.
    I got mine from Amazon.co.uk from some 3rd part seller. Pretty sure they sold me a Taiwanese version. From the looks of the thread, you got yours from eglobal? figure we have the same hardware version if so and if that's the case, we appear to be on a really slow update cycle.

I have the global dual sim version, TA-1119 but the build is WW which means worldwide and the cycles should be close enough in most regions.
    I'm pretty sure AC has a 7plus, not the 8.1 which is why their menu is different :)

What I mean is that I think all 8.1 users are on the same software build right now :(

Yeah I have a Nokia 7 Plus, not an 8.1. I seen marcbrophy's post and I noticed the same thing on my phone. The 8.1 must not have the same option which is a bit shít. My 7 Plus is on the February security update. It's possible it's included in that for all phones and once the 8.1 gets the February security update, the 8.1 will get that option.

Yeah I have a Nokia 7 Plus, not an 8.1. I seen marcbrophy's post and I noticed the same thing on my phone. The 8.1 must not have the same option which is a bit shít. My 7 Plus is on the February security update. It's possible it's included in that for all phones and once the 8.1 gets the February security update, the 8.1 will get that option.

Here's hoping! :D

• Advertisement

Here's hoping! :D

I'd say the news about the 7.1 sending info to some server in China has put the brakes on software updates. I'd say they want to be 100% sure that "bug" doesn't repeat.

Advertisement