Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

a tired old question

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I thought you were one of the people who recommended to go with Marathon Plus about two years ago?.
    i suspect not, i've never ridden a bike with them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Never on a Dublin Bike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have conti 4 seasons on the "good" bike for the winter.

On the winter/ commuter I'm using, and am impressed by so far, Vittoria Randonnuer Pro II.

Previously I've used marathon plus on the commuter. There's a knack to getting them on, but it's the awful ride quality that would have me only put them on if it was only for commuting. They suck the fun out if weekend rides.

i go to the tyre place with the car - what tyres do i want?
    maybe i jinxed myself, but i just had to go to the car tyre place to get a puncture repaired. yer man told me i need to replace the tyres, which i knew - i was half expecting to suck it up and just buy new tyres if there were any further complications.

i would be tempted to ask 'any chance on throwing in two GP5000s cheap with two contiecos', but i suspect they'd look at me as if i had two heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

+1 for Conti 4 Seasons - use them year round and very few punctures that weren't down to me being lazy/pushing it - though I did get a slice from something that needed a boot recently. I used to have a set of Armadillos and while I'd say they were bulletproof, I wasn't a fan of the ride quality - found them very sluggish compared to the 4 Seasons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd been wondering who I sold them too. MY pair have had 1 puncture and that was due to a massive shard of shard of glass. They've done 3-4 years and probably only about half way done, but for the big huge nick in the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No bother, thought it was you.

I have Gator skins on my road bike, and the Marathon's on my commuter and wouldn't use anything else for commuting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had a set of Durano Plus and must have just been unlucky as I got several punctures with them. Didn't see any obvious cuts or glass, must have been a tiny cut pinching the tube or something.

Switched back to the Marathon Plus but now I'm tempted to change to the Durano Plus again, a 370g weight saving would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

The main problem with them is that when you get one part on, another comes off but it's easily done if you use cable ties. After you get each section on the rim, secure to to the wheel with the cable tie. When all of the tyre is on, cut the ties.

(I fully realise that it's completely different at the side of the road but hopefully they won't puncture. They are easier to work with when they get a bit of use.)
    -1 to Schwalbe Marathon plus. :D

They weren't too bad i suppose, i took your advice, getting the last bit on was the devil alright. Once the tyres were held in place with the ties it was less hard.

They have a nice reflective trim on them. Noticed it this morning on the commute in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I had a set of Durano Plus and must have just been unlucky as I got several punctures with them. Didn't see any obvious cuts or glass, must have been a tiny cut pinching the tube or something.

Switched back to the Marathon Plus but now I'm tempted to change to the Durano Plus again, a 370g weight saving would be nice.

I had the same issue with them, tried once, never again, loads of punctures, and shredded in a few weeks of commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

anyone using tubeless? any recommendations for a cost effective tyre

28 to 33mm

i vote that this should become the new standardised testing method for bicycle tyre toughness.

https://twitter.com/DonkeySanctuary/status/1097436231091261442

probably need to swap the tyres on my genesis out soon
    the proof was in the pudding today, got a slow puncture in ardcath taking a different route to normal (to avoid that bastard dog just north of the town); but what was interesting to see was that despite there still being a little wear left according to the wear indicators, it was nigh on impossible to tell exactly where the puncture was, as the air escaping was leaking out from the tyre in about six different places. obviously there's enough cracks and nicks in the tyre carcass that there's more than one escape point for the air, so that's that set of tyres binned now.
    thankfully i got myself sorted for replacement tyres courtesy of cram a week or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had the same issue with them, tried once, never again, loads of punctures, and shredded in a few weeks of commuting.

I'm not being smart but are you sure it was Durano+ rather than standard Durano's? It's just that I've been using them for commuting for approx. 4 years now (25k kms+) and find them bulletproof!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm not being smart but are you sure it was Durano+ rather than standard Durano's? It's just that I've been using them for commuting for approx. 4 years now (25k kms+) and find them bulletproof!

I don't think they were Durano at all, I was talking about the Schwalbe One clinchers, sorry for the confusion. I have had Duranos before but remember nothing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

CramCycle wrote:
    I don't think they were Durano at all, I was talking about the Schwalbe One clinchers, sorry for the confusion.

I tried the Schwalbe One's too .... lasted one spin!!

Advertisement