Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap or less rip off pints

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

It's much cheaper generally to skip over the river and have a pint northside, couple of nice pubs around the Capel/Jervis/Liffey area. I'd recommend The Gin palace, TP smiths, the boars head etc... Plenty of other nice spots too, wander around and you. Another favourite of mine is The Oval. All the ones that I mentioned are more or less 5 min walk from Temple Bar, just across the bridge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

TP Smith's is a rip off hole with weird staff

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Jack Nealon's on Capel Street is a lovely boozer and €4.50 for Guinness. Can't go wrong with that.

Lord Edward too is under a fiver. Might be €4.70ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I got a pint of lager (Coors) for a fiver in Stoutman's pub in James Street recently. Nice pub with a good local feel near Guinness Brewery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Birneybau wrote: »
    Classic case of getting what you pay for.

Tuborg is as good a beer as any of the other fizzy yellow lagers sold in an average pub.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

TP Smith's is a rip off hole with weird staff

Very much agree. I'm 99% sure I was served watered vodka in there a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Tuborg is as good a beer as any of the other fizzy yellow lagers sold in an average pub.
    It's weird how someone at Diageo just decided that Carlsberg would be the premium one and Tuborg would be the cheapie. That distinction doesn't exist in Denmark, or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

humberklog wrote: »
    Jack Nealon's on Capel Street is a lovely boozer and €4.50 for Guinness. Can't go wrong with that.

I think Lord Edwards was €4.80 for Guinness until about 5 months ago, then the price went up again to €5. Sub €5 pints are becoming a very rare beast in town !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I think we have a winner people.

http://sublounge.ie/special-offers

O'Reillys on Luke Street near Tara Street has pints for €3.60 they say on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,382 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

imme wrote: »

O'Reillys on Luke Street near Tara Street has pints for €3.60 they say on their website.

A pitcher of JD and coke for 13e... unlucky for some!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

BK92 wrote: »
    humberklog wrote: »

I think Lord Edwards was €4.80 for Guinness until about 5 months ago, then the price went up again to €5. Sub €5 pints are becoming a very rare beast in town !

And Jack Nealon's is 100% not €4:50, I was charged over a fiver in there recently enough

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

And Jack Nealon's is 100% not €4:50, I was charged over a fiver in there recently enough

I was last there in mid December and it 100% was. May have gone up but that'd be quite the jump. Yikes!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The entity occupying Nealons building now is not what anyone who used to drink where would recognise as Nealons either. More than half of the, eh, 'feeling' is probably the best term for it, of a pub is the staff and far less of is the physical environment. Can have a lovely Victorian bar but with staff that don't even know where the taps are (as they currently have) and you may as well be drinking in the Airport.

L1011 wrote: »
    The entity occupying Nealons building now is not what anyone who used to drink where would recognise as Nealons either. More than half of the, eh, 'feeling' is probably the best term for it, of a pub is the staff and far less of is the physical environment. Can have a lovely Victorian bar but with staff that don't even know where the taps are (as they currently have) and you may as well be drinking in the Airport.

The little mouthy fella sacked thankfully. I believe he robbed a sh!tload of money

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The little mouthy fella sacked thankfully. I believe he robbed a sh!tload of money

All of the pre-changeover staff are gone. There was one less than friendly one prior to the changeover which may be who you are referring to but the rest are a loss.

L1011 wrote: »

All of the pre-changeover staff are gone. There was one less than friendly one prior to the changeover which may be who you are referring to but the rest are a loss.

No, this guy was post-changeover. And there was another one serving us last year that was drinker than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does Jack Nealons still get the overflow from Panti Bar? Last time I was in there a few years back it felt like a full on gay bar which I presume was cause Panti Bar is often jammed tight and cant let anymore in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Head to phibsboro..sub €5 Guinness in the hut..gravediggers and hedigans..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

In the drunken fish in the ifsc -

3.90 fosters
    4.80 guinness
    4.90 heineken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

Zipppy wrote: »
    Head to phibsboro..sub €5 Guinness in the hut..gravediggers and hedigans..

Keep meaning to go there for the aul its haunted thing to see

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does Jack Nealons still get the overflow from Panti Bar? Last time I was in there a few years back it felt like a full on gay bar which I presume was cause Panti Bar is often jammed tight and cant let anymore in

To some extent; Pantibar is opening a second pub on Great Strand Street which may just leave Nealons with the bears like it used to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats interesting about Panti-Bar expanding. No surprise as it is always packed anytime I pass by.

Not sure if mentioned but Fitzgeralds at O'Connell Bridge/Aston Quay have pints for 4.50. Can't remember what beer it was but its on their blackboard outside. Haven't been in there in at least 10 years, did it ever get a renovation? Doesn't look like it from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

The price has been going up over the years, I don't think they're that price anymore. They went up to €3.80 at some point, then €4, think they're at about €4.50 now. The €3.60 days were great while they lasted though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

grimm2005 wrote: »
    The price has been going up over the years, I don't think they're that price anymore. They went up to €3.80 at some point, then €4, think they're at about €4.50 now. The €3.60 days were great while they lasted though!

They should update their website

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pantibar on weeknights do draught pints for €4.90. That’s pretty darn good!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Get Real

As said I'd be unsure if they're updated. I do remember in 2012/13 they did 2quid large bottles of Kopparberg. Pity I didn't drink cider!

Some pints were in the 2.50 range and maybe 3quid Heineken. The recession was bad for many things, but not for the cut throat deals to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Muahahaha wrote: »

Nealons definitely does on Friday or Saturday nights ( I was there this past Friday and it does become a de-facto gay bar from about 9pm both nights but is never in your face gay - ie Lady Gaga or Kylie isn't blaring from the speakers) but the occasional time I've gone there during the week or early evenings during the weekend and it just comes across like any other straight bar. I've never encountered any poor service there, either pre or post ownership takeover.

A packed Pantibar is one reason but some punters want to be able to hear themselves talk and that can't happen after 9pm in Pantibar when the music is blaring.

Advertisement