Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

FTA69 wrote: »
    Right so because he happens to have a gun in his possession he's obliged to use it? Pretty dodgy logic there mate.
    What in your opinion should the Guard have done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Is this dog in question mute ?? Yeah dogs can be quiet but not so much as a bark IF he's there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

I remember catching a shoplifter (member of the traveller community - naturally) and she screamed the exact same way.

Must be built into their ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

One stupid traveller. Assaulting the truck driver on camera, in front of an armed detective, and then assaulting the detective who has a loaded gun in his hand. Not very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why in the world is a Garda wearing a conventional tie when you have scumbags who would try and pull it in a scuffle? Thought they would have clip on ones.

Because he has a gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What in your opinion should the Guard have done

Probably shouldn't have drawn a gun in the first place over a bit of shouting and scuffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

See when the camera pans out I don’t see any dog? He video doesnt show any dog at any stage. Surely if the German Shepard had have jumped up and caught the guard’s tie then he’d have been visible? As I said, maybe it did happen and the video is just unclear and misleading - a common occurrence.

What would I expect the guard to do if someone did grab him? Whack him in the face with the gun perhaps? Call for help? CS spray him? A scuffle can’t be reason to shoot someone. I remember seeing a brawl outside a pub and guards were getting grabbed and knocked over while trying to break it up, I wouldn’t have thought that them going around shooting people in the legs would have been a proportionate response.

A tie is basically a noose. You can easily be strangled by one.

Once his tie was grabbed he had no real option to pull out anything else so i wouldn't criticise him for firing a shot. Wearing a tie to an altercation that requires a gun, or any threatening situation, is straight up keystone cops stuff though. I assumed An Garda would have the same rules about clip-ons that eg the NYPD have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's the dog thing that's bemusing me more than anything, like how would you even go about making a recording of an armed guard being grabbed by a dog, the dog getting shot and then not have the dog be in the screen once? It's baffling really.

If the guard was grabbed by a German Shepard I wouldn't contest the shooting at all that having been said.

Unlikely that there was any dog... Sure a German Shepherd would be clearly heard snarling when grabbing that guard's tie

Unless these travelers have engineered a stealth dog.. and if so there's a lucrative career in dog training for security services open to them.

They could leave all this type of business behind them..

lawred2 wrote: »
    That camera 'lady' is a fine specimen of humanity..

What's going on there anyway?

Is the driver of the blue van being assaulted in plain view of an armed guard? And the same lad then grabs the tie of the guard? Seems like a bullet in the leg is justified to me really..

What's this about a dog?

There sounds like one shot which killed the dog and the same bullet also injured the fella who was handling the dog.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/351223/breaking-man-shot-in-edgeworthstown.html#.XAV_UcXDsxI.facebook

Poor dog but his death is on his handlers hands, not the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Doesn’t show him shooting a dog it all, just seems that he’s putting one in the fella’s leg for grabbing his tie. The video doesn’t clearly show what happened at all really.

I think the lad who got shot was doing the absolute fool but the idea an armed cop would shoot someone for grabbing his tie is pretty worrying, he had a multitude of options available to him and seemed to jump on the decision to shoot someone pretty quickly. Putting a bullet in a person is a serious thing and in my opinion not an immediate option for general loutishness. That having been said, maybe he did justifiably shoot a dog and the fella took a ricochet. Who knows really?

I’m sure this thread will be full of hearty cheers for a cop shooting a Traveller doing the bollix, but at the end of the day give the state of our police force I wouldn’t be too eager to be lauding them banging people whenever they feel like it. If their reaction to every bit of a scuffle is shooting someone then we’re in for a lot of sh*t in future.
    Why was he wearing a proper tie? Aren’t they meant to wear clip on’s. Can’t imagine health and safety allowing them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Probably shouldn't have drawn a gun in the first place over a bit of shouting and scuffling.

How do you know it hasn't de-escalated from something more to a bit of shouting and scuffling because he has his gun.

The woman is screaming assault after all.

Right so because he happens to have a gun in his possession he's obliged to use it? Pretty dodgy logic there mate.
    That's not what I said. I said once it's drawn and he's grabbed by the tie and is outnumbered and there's a dog and warnings are given. If you have a gun drawn you don't give someone a chance to get it.
    How do I know they're Travellers? The same way I can often tell if a given black person in London is African or Jamaican, by looking at them and listening to them. Am I missing something here like?
    Racist.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Unlikely that there was any dog... Sure a German Shepherd would be clearly heard snarling when grabbing that guard's tie

Unless these travelers have engineered a stealth dog.. and if so there's a lucrative career in dog training for security services open to them.

They could leave all this type of business behind them..

Well in that case the cops are straight up lying about the circumstances in which they shot a fella, which to refer back to my original post, doesn't fill me with confidence about them being allowed to run around the place with guns.

Racist.

What are you even on about lad? This is just dopey sh*t to be honest. If you want to have a discussion about the police and firearms then no problem, if your going to engage in childish nonsense like the above then I couldn't be arsed really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

1383748_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That's not what I said. I said once it's drawn and he's grabbed by the tie and is outnumbered and there's a dog and warnings are given. If you have a gun drawn you don't give someone a chance to get it.

Racist.

Lol. You're a racist now because you can discern a certain accent or dialect.
    It just gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The stupid cow videoing the whole thing managed to keep her composure enough in order to continue videoing it after the shot despite her screaming like some crazed animal.

I know where I would have preferred to see the bullet go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

It would take a split second after his tie being grabbed for the Garda to be on the floor in serious danger, justified in shooting the dog if there was a dog there and was threatening, or even if a person was there and attacking him, he has no other line of defence, if they got his gun or knocked him down his lifes in danger.

I'm a dog person, have a dog and love dogs, but there is a poorly trained german shepherd on my road and runs out infront of cars and chases people that walk past the house, a few weeks ago he chased me passed the house when I was out for my run, he opened his jaws wide and tried to bite me, I kept running and he gave up chasing eventually. On my way back from my run I had to call a family member to collect me as he wouldn't let me passed the house.

A poorly trained dog can be a serious threat, not to be joked about, and it's all the owners fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If there was a dog there just outside of the camera shot, It's the quietest dog in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pure mensa stuff there, boss. Attacking an armed guard. Fair play to the camera woman despite her husband being injured she carried on her camera duties. Dedication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wonder is this all a setup, no sign of any dog. Is the guy in the video even a Garda, or is it one of their mates with a toy gun?

Any road, taking it all at face value, assuming he shot a dog which then ran away, I see no issue here. He's being attacked by what is presumably a large dog, which won't back off, what is he supposed to do?

Ricochet into the leg is incidental, sh1t happens.

I'm guessing the person who put up the video is alleging that there was no dog, that the Garda just shot the man in the leg. However, when the tie is being pulled, the Garda clearly says, "I'll put a bullet in his head, get him to let go of me".

You could claim this is play-acting by the Garda, covering his arse. But the Garda doesn't know the dog isn't on camera. He may not even know there's a camera. So why would he say that?

I'd say more likely this gowl reviewed the video footage and thought, "Jaysus, you can't see the dog, it looks like he just shot a man in the leg. Compo money, ching-ching, here we go.".

Can someone look at the first 10 seconds of the video again and tell me if I’m wrong.

Is the travellers right side hanging a lot lower than his left? If it is, does it look like he’s holding something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Watched it a few times.
    Cant see of hear a dog. Bur

Does the cop say "get it off me or i'll put a bullet in its head"? (At about 31 sec)
    Than bang

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can someone look at the first 10 seconds of the video again and tell me if I’m wrong.

Is the travellers right side hanging a lot lower than his left? If it is, does it look like he’s holding something?
    You're right. He's holding the dog by the collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Obviously the Guards instructions were not being followed, in that case should he have let the ongoing attack on the truck driver continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yet AGAIN, its travellers.

Always effin travellers - if they are not scamming elderly people, they are scamming insurance or thieving from shops or robbing houses left right and centre.

Utter XXXX.

It's only a couple of them doing it all, giving the rest a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

At around 20-23 secs I hear the woman say something like ‘sure I have him on a lead’ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Looks as though the traveller is holding something lower down by his side possibly a dog on a short leash or a collar.

He then says watch him watch him, which is a command I've heard people use befor with dogs.

The Garda in that situation had every right to use excessive force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

gctest50 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/1130/1014383-longford/

Gardaí say a major criminal gang with strong links in the UK was behind the operation of a so-called ‘Chop Shop’ in Co Longford

Dozens of doors and engines for Ford Transit vans were among the items recovered by gardaí.

They wouldn't be crazy enough to send one member of the force to face that lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

ARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH WAAAAAHWAAAAAHWAAAAAHWAAAAAHH ARRRGGGGHHHHH SAFTER SHOOOOTIN ARRRRRRGGGHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAAHWAAAAAAHHHHH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement