Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Callum Chat/Non Technical Discussion (Including Travel)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Rodar08 wrote: »
    The cynic in you would want a word with himself. What an awful thing to say jeez. I went to work but kept my daughter home from school. We haven’t been hit yet but apparently it’s still on it’s way here. I erred on the side of caution. Every other week as he’s on shifts, my husband gets her up ready and takes her to school. Generalising much???

Over sensitive much???? I referenced my area, and the conditions in my area! I never said it was the same nation wide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Just picked up in the last 30 mins in Dundalk. Not crazy, but still not looking forward to popping out to get my lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wind almost died down completely here in Wexford,heavy rain for the last hour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Bigger winds have passed through the cheeks of my arse!

A1. People get carried away and hype it up to the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely pelting down in Wexford the last hour or two. Rain more of an issue here then the wind. Flooding at the driveway gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The disaster junkies here must be very disappointed with this. A wet and windy day is all it was. People here jizzing themselves and circle jerking about how severe it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

we love hype in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

The disaster junkies here must be very disappointed with this. A wet and windy day is all it was. People here jizzing themselves and circle jerking about how severe it was going to be.

Mod. Can you please remove this pointless comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lads giving out about warning, it totally depends on where you are. Last night this morning was nowhere near Ophelia but power and phone lines were down round here along with trees on some roads. A lot of trees are weakened after previous storms and the drought this year so it won't take much to knock em and generally they do a lot of the damage or disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Mod(s). Can you please get the thread back in line with technical weather discussions. There are numerous people posting bravado comments with no real input and who likely live in regions which were not subject to severe weather. Many seem unable to stop themselves from posting rubbish.

Ye it wasn't windy or windy enough for you where you were, so what!!! It's a warning system, not enforced martial law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Personally, I'm pleased I took precautions with bins, kennels etc in garden and secured them in the shed . I also told my Dad's home help to not come in to us at 8 am this morning. She lives coastally and would have to leave her house at 7 am, when it was still quite wild.

It may be a wet and windy day now. But it was pretty wild overnight. I'd rather have the best information I can get and decide for myself what if any precautions to take. I'm relieved, not disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

no.8 wrote: »
    Mod(s). Can you please get the thread back in line with technical weather discussions. There are numerous people posting bravado comments with no real input and who likely live in regions which were not subject to severe weather. Many seem unable to stop themselves from posting rubbish.

Ye it wasn't windy or windy enough for you where you were, so what!!! It's a warning system, not enforced martial law

er this is the Non Technical Discussion thread

just saying like

it turned out to be a Damp Squid were I am situated - the warnings given out were very Fishy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

er this is the Non Technical Discussion thread

just saying like

In fairness I think that post got moved here along with a few others.

In fairness I think that post got moved here along with a few others.

oh - didnt realise that - where was it moved from , the technical thread was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

oh - didnt realise that - where was it moved from , the technical thread was it?

Yeah, I'm sure I remember reading it in there earlier

Yeah, I'm sure I remember reading it in there earlier

oh right thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Weather Summary for Ballinrobe, South Co Mayo:
    Storm Opehelia - No damage. Did not reach Ballinrobe at all
    Beast From the East - Did not come to Ballinrobe at all
    Storm Ali - Lots of trees down and power cuts.
    Storm Callum - Windy bit nothing out of the ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have never seen anyone using those fekkin trampolines ever.

Jorry Odams has been known to use one naked, but you probably wouldn't want to see that.
    sjb25 wrote: »
    How bout a darker shade of orange almost like red ;)

"The national weather warning has been upgraded from Saffron to Salmon"

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Probably localized flooding in the SE over the next 24hrs. About 30mm expected, and perhaps about 20mm south and east coasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s been fun over here in the “idiot section for people not allowed on the real weather forum myself included” but all good things must come to an end.good times.catch ye all on the next idiot section for the next “storm” so probably couple of days.ha.
    Over and out good buddies

sjb25 wrote: »
    How bout a darker shade of orange almost like red ;)

just wondering how do a dark green weather warning be like? - I think it would look good on a map

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Jorry Odams has been known to use one naked, but you probably wouldn't want to see that.

"The national weather warning has been upgraded from Saffron to Salmon"

"Rains of fish expected."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Flights to Dublin still cancelled. Would this be a capacity issue since it's pretty calm here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Over sensitive much???? I referenced my area, and the conditions in my area! I never said it was the same nation wide!

I was actually referring to your remark about certain mammys wanting a lay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Amprodude wrote: »
    we love hype in Ireland.

I think the hype has become worse since Met Eireann started giving those colour coded warnings.
    Joanna Donnelly is the Queen of those,she almost appears orgasmic when issuing them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Joanna Donnelly is the Queen of those,she almost appears orgasmic when issuing them.

:p

Did not seem to have all these issues pre-JD!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

GGTrek wrote:
    They are probably cash in hand/holding deposit scammers. Quite a few advertising on daft. These are police matters.

I think the hype has become worse since Met Eireann started giving those colour coded warnings. Joanna Donnelly is the Queen of those,she almost appears orgasmic when issuing them.

Storm Callum was a non event in North Dublin. Met Eireann forecasters have become celebrities for simply reading a weather forecast. It seems to me that it's all about them & not the actual weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

TCM wrote: »
    Storm Callum was a non event in North Dublin. Met Eireann forecasters have become celebrities for simply reading a weather forecast. It seems to me that it's all about them & not the actual weather.

They're damned if the do or don't!
    Its not an exact science. They don't control the movement of the weather patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TCM wrote: »
    And what about the rest of the population who aren't in North Dublin?

and while I'm at it, you do realise that most of the forecasters don't just read the forecast, they write it as well?

Advertisement