Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. I'm here.

Options
  • 19-12-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Fröhliche Weihnachten to the good people of Boards! This message finds me in the Lufthansa lounge in Frankfurt airport, relaxing before my flight back to Dublin, and the home sod. I’d especially like to thank all the posters who sent me personal messages enquiring as to my whereabouts. I’ll admit that I didn’t have a clue who any of you were, but it’s rather touching that you took the time out of your lives to send me your well wishes.

I also received a small number of extremely abusive messages. Water off a duck’s back, I assure you. I’d suggest these posters take some time out to reflect on why they felt the need to do that, and how they can refocus and reshape that anger into doing something more productive. I don’t like to keep repeating the mantra (if you’ll pardon the pun), but meditation is an invaluable tool for dealing with, and understanding, difficult emotions. Those who spent the year arguing endlessly about the same few topics - may I suggest more mistletoe and less whine in 2018?

I’ve had a pretty extraordinary year, even by my lofty standards. I was recently reviewing a 10 year personal action plan I created at the start of the decade, and 2017 was the year when many of the items in that most ambitious of lists came to pass. At the start of the year I posted on this very forum about my interest in blockchain technology. My investments in Bitcoin and Ethereum were a real rollercoaster this year, and my grounding in financial mathematics allowed me to put in place a strategy that balanced prudent profit taking with some sheer ‘what the hell’ trading. I exited the market a number of weeks ago. When you see people giving advice on a site such as this about investing money in it, then you know you’re in the onine equivalent of the Joseph Kennedy shoeshine boy giving him stock tips.

As I said, I remain extremely interested in the technology stack behind the hysteria, so I’ve invested in an extremely promising start-up which is creating a platform using blockchain technology for the trading of smart contracts amongst small-scale renewable energy producers and their customers. Watch this space.

My career in Frankfurt is still flying, and my strong blend of personality, analytical insight, and work ethic resulted in me being head-hunted by a competing firm working at the cutting-edge of European Finance. Empathy is an extremely important skill in the modern work environment, and it’s something I have in abundance. It’s not something you can feign, but it is something you can recognise in yourself and let flourish. Again, see meditation. My move caused some ripples in the area of Finance that I work in, but I haven’t regretted my move for a second.

That said, I’m taking a slightly more unbuttoned approach to my career. I’m still an extremely ambitious and hard-working man, who demands the upmost from both himself and his colleagues; but I’ve certainly improved my ability to switch off when I need to. Like Mo Farah, I decided to move from 5k and 10k racing to half and full marathons. My half marathon times in particular are the envy of colleagues ten years my junior, and I took particular satisfaction in running a yearly PB when beating an extremely arrogant rival from a competing firm. Pilates has been little short of a miracle in helping with a lower back issue which is the bane of the Von Bismarck clan; my golf handicap is a stubborn 6. I’ve also continued to hike and mountain bike.

I’ve always been a voracious - sometimes insatiable - reader, and this year was a treasure trove of interesting finds and revisited gems. I’m not the sort to go into vulgar details about my love life, but suffice to say I’ve little trouble in attracting members of the opposite sex. However I remain betrothed to my rock, The Baroness. We had intended to start a family in 2017, but alas it wasn’t to be.

Finally, I was in Croke Park in that beautiful day in September when Galway finally ended the famine, and won the AI Hurling final. I’ll admit to shedding a tear as the trophy was held aloft. Shame on their insistence on playing Galway Girl during the celebrations – a sour note in an otherwise wonderful day.

Christmas is a time to stop and reflect, and I will be spending it in Ireland with my family. I’ve had my challenges when it comes to my brother over the years, but we’ve reached some sort of entente cordiale. While I won’t be heading along to a house party with him to drink a bottle of Buckfast, and smoke a few ‘J’s’, I have reached a stage where I’m happy to sit down and watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with him. His tipple of choice: strong, cheap Lidl lager; my tipple of choice: a glass of really good Barolo. It takes all sorts to make the world I suppose.

I’ll pretend to enjoy eating the turkey and ham, wear a paper crown, politely decline a slice of Viennetta with dessert, and insist on choosing the cheese board selection. I’ll enjoy every moment, and genuinely appreciate the presents I’m given, even if my brother buys me a Lynx Africa shower set. When I get back to Germany I’ll be taking delivery of a 2018 BMW Alpina B6 xDrive Gran Coupe, so never let it be said that I don’t treat myself.

Happy Christmas folks. Hope it’s a good one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How many millions are you worth now? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Empathy is an extremely important skill in the modern work environment, and it’s something I have in abundance. It’s not something you can feign, but it is something you can recognise in yourself and let flourish.

Empathy is not something I'd of considered you guilty of.

but sure... happy new year I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Oh good.....who are you again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

And they became more German than the Germans themselves. Christ that was boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Christ.

Mas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I am so pleased to see you're back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I am so pleased to see you're back.

Should that have not read....

I am so pleased to see your back!

Should that have not read....

I am so pleased to see your back!

I have no idea, since I'm so pleased to be he's back I don't care about silly grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So, the cops knew that intenal affairs were setting them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Read all that in Christian Bales voice from American Pyscho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

MV5BMzU3NzEwMTMyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjE1MzM5._V1_.jpg

Aongus is my all-time favourite poster.

There are pretenders to the throne (who probably don't realize in what way they are pretenders), but Aongus is a Mamamouchi par excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

Well at least I can empathise with the shedding a tear when Galway hurlers won the A.I. but other than that.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

What's your favourite pop Christmas song?

c_man wrote: »
    What's your favourite pop Christmas song?

You think he lowers himself to 'pop' music?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

A round-robin letter - how twee!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If anybody else is in an airport in Frankfurt keep a look out for a man in a pair of chino's!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

yawn, your attention seeking rubbish posts were boring years ago, give it up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

See
    You
    Next
    Tuesday

• Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

Fröhliche Weihnachten to the good people of Boards! This message finds me in the Lufthansa lounge in Frankfurt airport, relaxing before my flight back to Dublin, and the home sod. I’d especially like to thank all the posters who sent me personal messages enquiring as to my whereabouts. I’ll admit that I didn’t have a clue who any of you were, but it’s rather touching that you took the time out of your lives to send me your well wishes.

I also received a small number of extremely abusive messages. Water off a duck’s back, I assure you. I’d suggest these posters take some time out to reflect on why they felt the need to do that, and how they can refocus and reshape that anger into doing something more productive. I don’t like to keep repeating the mantra (if you’ll pardon the pun), but meditation is an invaluable tool for dealing with, and understanding, difficult emotions. Those who spent the year arguing endlessly about the same few topics - may I suggest more mistletoe and less whine in 2018?

I’ve had a pretty extraordinary year, even by my lofty standards. I was recently reviewing a 10 year personal action plan I created at the start of the decade, and 2017 was the year when many of the items in that most ambitious of lists came to pass. At the start of the year I posted on this very forum about my interest in blockchain technology. My investments in Bitcoin and Ethereum were a real rollercoaster this year, and my grounding in financial mathematics allowed me to put in place a strategy that balanced prudent profit taking with some sheer ‘what the hell’ trading. I exited the market a number of weeks ago. When you see people giving advice on a site such as this about investing money in it, then you know you’re in the onine equivalent of the Joseph Kennedy shoeshine boy giving him stock tips.

As I said, I remain extremely interested in the technology stack behind the hysteria, so I’ve invested in an extremely promising start-up which is creating a platform using blockchain technology for the trading of smart contracts amongst small-scale renewable energy producers and their customers. Watch this space.

My career in Frankfurt is still flying, and my strong blend of personality, analytical insight, and work ethic resulted in me being head-hunted by a competing firm working at the cutting-edge of European Finance. Empathy is an extremely important skill in the modern work environment, and it’s something I have in abundance. It’s not something you can feign, but it is something you can recognise in yourself and let flourish. Again, see meditation. My move caused some ripples in the area of Finance that I work in, but I haven’t regretted my move for a second.

That said, I’m taking a slightly more unbuttoned approach to my career. I’m still an extremely ambitious and hard-working man, who demands the upmost from both himself and his colleagues; but I’ve certainly improved my ability to switch off when I need to. Like Mo Farah, I decided to move from 5k and 10k racing to half and full marathons. My half marathon times in particular are the envy of colleagues ten years my junior, and I took particular satisfaction in running a yearly PB when beating an extremely arrogant rival from a competing firm. Pilates has been little short of a miracle in helping with a lower back issue which is the bane of the Von Bismarck clan; my golf handicap is a stubborn 6. I’ve also continued to hike and mountain bike.

I’ve always been a voracious - sometimes insatiable - reader, and this year was a treasure trove of interesting finds and revisited gems. I’m not the sort to go into vulgar details about my love life, but suffice to say I’ve little trouble in attracting members of the opposite sex. However I remain betrothed to my rock, The Baroness. We had intended to start a family in 2017, but alas it wasn’t to be.

Finally, I was in Croke Park in that beautiful day in September when Galway finally ended the famine, and won the AI Hurling final. I’ll admit to shedding a tear as the trophy was held aloft. Shame on their insistence on playing Galway Girl during the celebrations – a sour note in an otherwise wonderful day.

Christmas is a time to stop and reflect, and I will be spending it in Ireland with my family. I’ve had my challenges when it comes to my brother over the years, but we’ve reached some sort of entente cordiale. While I won’t be heading along to a house party with him to drink a bottle of Buckfast, and smoke a few ‘J’s’, I have reached a stage where I’m happy to sit down and watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with him. His tipple of choice: strong, cheap Lidl lager; my tipple of choice: a glass of really good Barolo. It takes all sorts to make the world I suppose.

I’ll pretend to enjoy eating the turkey and ham, wear a paper crown, politely decline a slice of Viennetta with dessert, and insist on choosing the cheese board selection. I’ll enjoy every moment, and genuinely appreciate the presents I’m given, even if my brother buys me a Lynx Africa shower set. When I get back to Germany I’ll be taking delivery of a 2018 BMW Alpina B6 xDrive Gran Coupe, so never let it be said that I don’t treat myself.

Happy Christmas folks. Hope it’s a good one.

gUTE rEISE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Have to admit, a beautifully crafted post, kinda reminded me of this -

5 tips for writing the perfect Christmas letter

but this is probably the funniest thing I've read all year -

"Aongus wrote:

I could just picture the disgusted reaction :pac:

Happy Christmas Aongus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

DC9xJWQUMAASkB5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Don’t think AvB likes McGregor. Vaguely remember him suggesting that the majority of McGregors fans were fat neckbeards in tap-out tshirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Glad you got over your missus dumping you, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Not up to your usual standard AvB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don’t think AvB likes McGregor. Vaguely remember him suggesting that the majority of McGregors fans were fat neckbeards in tap-out tshirts.

Remember something about that alright.

I think the layabout brother and friends recorded over AvB's Michael Palin 'Pole to Pole' VHS tape with a McGregor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Welcome back Aongus.

What cheeses will you have on the cheese selection? What wines to pair them with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Superb Von Bissy McNissy. 10/10.

Didn't yerself and the missus break up tho? Don't shatter the hearts of a million Irish women...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Oh goody, AH's very own Adrian Mole has returned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I personally demand the utmost.

Good to have you back though! :)

Advertisement