Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2019, 21:08   #1
Paddy223

Griffiths valuation book

A relation of mine has a Griffiths valuation book from 1857, it's in middling shape considering its age. Does anyone know would it be worth much money?
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 23:51   #2
pinkypinky

They come up every now and then at auctions. Couple of hundred quid depending on whether it's an area people might be interested in. It's all online now so not a huge draw.
02-03-2019, 09:46   #3
Paddy223

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
They come up every now and then at auctions. Couple of hundred quid depending on whether it's an area people might be interested in. It's all online now so not a huge draw.
Cheers I take it they were probably worth a lot more before being posted online?
02-03-2019, 21:35   #4
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy223 View Post
Cheers I take it they were probably worth a lot more before being posted online?
Don't know, but that would stand to reason. Not quite sure why anyone would bid for it, tbh.

A family member of mine had a few ledgers from an ancestor who worked in a Dublin medical school back when bodies were being robbed from graves. It documented the admission of lots of bodies to various Dublin medical schools from private citizens during the early 1800s, including the price paid per corpse across the various anatomy departments. But when she went to auction these ledgers , the (quite well known) auctioneer advised her that they were not of much interest.

That was about 15 years ago, and when she died, we couldn't find the old anatomy ledgers. I assume she just binned them after she was told they were financially worthless, which was a crazy thing to do. Hopefully they might still turn up.

I guess the take-home is that not everything which is historically interesting is worth much money. But they're still worth keeping.

Last edited by A Tyrant Named Miltiades!; 02-03-2019 at 21:54.
Thanks from:
02-03-2019, 22:23   #5
Hermy

A real shame that too often the financial worth is often the factor that decides somethings fate.
Advertisement
02-03-2019, 22:28   #6
Paddy223

Yeah my relation has it as a keep sake, something that is passed down through family but of course I was curious as to whether it carries much value or not.
02-03-2019, 22:39   #7
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy223 View Post
Yeah my relation has it as a keep sake, something that is passed down through family but of course I was curious as to whether it carries much value or not.
can you describe the record, is it one volume; handwritten or printed?
03-03-2019, 10:28   #8
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Don't know, but that would stand to reason. Not quite sure why anyone would bid for it, tbh.
Actually, I think there's a lot of value in seeing a trade directory intact. There's a lot more to them than lists of names and seeing the context is worth it.
03-03-2019, 20:32   #9
Paddy223

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
can you describe the record, is it one volume; handwritten or printed?
One book on our local area and it is all printed

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion