Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 Help regimental number

• 12-11-2017 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Trying to get some info on a relative who was injured in WW1
    On the Ancestry website there is a listing for Medal Roll that we suspect to be him
    But it gives 2 service numbers
    Royal Dublin Fusiliers 20367
    And what We think is Royal Irish Regiment 18377

Trouble I am having is that if I put either number into the british army service records it returns multiple entries with the same number
    https://search.findmypast.ie/results/world-records/british-army-service-records?servicenumber=20367

Anyone got any ideas on how to further my search for my family tree
    Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's the person's name? What part of the country was he from?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What's the person's name? What part of the country was he from?
    Thanks for your reply :-)

His Name Is Joseph Falkiner and he grew up in Shankhill co Dublin
    He was listed on the 1911 Census as 13 years and living in Tillytown
    Thank you

Ok, so I see the medal index and corresponding card on Ancestry.

This record on FMP suggests he was in a third regiment.
    There's no service record coming up for him though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank You very much for your help
    I had a look at the link you posted ( Thanks ) which indeed suggests that he was also in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Royal Irish Regiment

I downloaded the image available but alas it was just a copy of the medal roll I had seen on the ancestry .uk site

attached is a copy of same
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8pjcbkhd0rqha7/joseph%20Falkiner.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8pjcbkhd0rqha7/joseph%20Falkiner.jpg?dl=0

Given that there is a service number do you know of any other sites where I might be able to get any more info
    Or is it likely that as there is a relationship to the welsh fusiliers that I could be barking up the wrong tree and may not be the same guy at all

But it is an unusual name and took quite a while to track down

Thanks again for your help
    Very kind of you
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 amecullen

I had a similar situation, a relative of mine started in the Leinster regiment and at some point transferred to the Royal Irish Regiment, with two different service numbers.
    I eventually found him listed in the wrong regiment but with one of his service numbers. It took me a lot of time to work through the various combinations, but I got a great result at the end.
    I found that the service number is not unique, that different regiments used the same numbers, and names and regiments get transcribed incorrectly.
    There are great sites out there to help, I found this one great
    http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/
    And the forum on this one exceptionally helpful
    http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/
    all the best of luck

• Advertisement

amecullen wrote: »
    I had a similar situation, a relative of mine started in the Leinster regiment and at some point transferred to the Royal Irish Regiment, with two different service numbers.
    I eventually found him listed in the wrong regiment but with one of his service numbers. It took me a lot of time to work through the various combinations, but I got a great result at the end.
    I found that the service number is not unique, that different regiments used the same numbers, and names and regiments get transcribed incorrectly.
    There are great sites out there to help, I found this one great
    http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/
    And the forum on this one exceptionally helpful
    http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/
    all the best of luck
    Thank you
    I will have a look at the 2 sites this evening
    Thanks for the pointers:-)

Also remember that a lot of service records were destroyed in the Blitz in the second world war. The medal roll details may end up being all you can find.

Each regiment usually has a historical society or similar museum and it would be worth investigating them. They would certainly be able to tell you the survival rates for their own regiment's service records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hi all

I am looking for my great grandfather who was in WW1, I found records on ancestry but no personal information to prove who he is, I have medical index cards but can't be sure if this is who i am looking for. Ancestry suggested UK government records
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel#what-is-held

you have to pay 30 pound for records but until I get record I won't know if it is him!

Anyone have advice. Thanks.

As far as I know, the MOD won't hold anything more than what's on Ancestry for WWI. They've transferred it all to the National Archives, who partnered with Ancestry to digitise everything.

If the medal index card doesn't prove it is him, then you may be out of luck. Are any medals still held by the wider family? They would have the service number.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi,

None of the family were aware he had a medal, I have service number and regiment etc, but no other details.

• Advertisement

Everyone who served would have earned some class of medal - they weren't just given for bravery. Have a look here:
    http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm

If the service number is the same on the medal card, then it is the same person.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks, when i say i have service number thats the one I found on ancestry, not sure if right person, I will continue searching.

Thanks for your time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you checked Find My Past? Sometimes they have service records that Ancestry don't have.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I had a subscription before and didn't find it helpful, could take out a months sub to see if I can find anything. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Hi flashinthepan,

Hope you're still following this thread...

Josie Faulkner lived next door to my grandmother in New Vale.

He gets a few mentions in the Wicklow People.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭enfield

JDERIC2017 it would be worthwhile to post a name and number and who knows what will turn up?

enfield wrote: »
    JDERIC2017 it would be worthwhile to post a name and number and who knows what will turn up?

He was a gunner number 72161 R.F.A discharged in 1917. Patrick Cooling

HIs Silver War Badge number with date of discharge.
    First name(s) Patrick
    Last name Cooling
    Service number 72161
    Rank Gunner
    Badge number 191645
    Enlistment date 06-Jan-1915
    Discharge date 24-May-1917
    Regiment/unit 1 Depot R.F.A.
    Cause of discharge Sickness 392 (xvi)
    Whether served overseas Yes
    Badge date of issue 05-Jun-1917
    Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920

Attached is another Irish lad named Cooling. I don't know if they are related.

shar01 wrote: »
    Hi flashinthepan,

Hope you're still following this thread...

Josie Faulkner lived next door to my grandmother in New Vale.

He gets a few mentions in the Wicklow People.

Howdy
    Thanks very much for that :-) attached is same incident from Irish Times 1921
    was sentanced to 5 years in the joy but was released early due to formation of the state I think found the prison record as well
    515879.JPG

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement