Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2015, 12:12   #16
pinkypinky

I was given a different name: Carmel Kitching.

I contacted her 2 weeks ago by email and have no response whatsoever.
Advertisement
21-09-2015, 10:53   #17
pinkypinky

Further update: I had a call this morning, not from Carmel Kitching, asking for some more details to aid them in searching for the records...husband and all children's names, which I provided. She said she would send a letter acknowledging receipt of my request today and then it would take approximately 4 weeks to conduct a search of the records, and they would report back.
(2) thanks from:
21-10-2015, 11:10   #18
pinkypinky

Further update: spoke to case officer this morning. They sent by registered post yesterday 36 pages of my great-grandmother's file!
I'm ridiculously excited.
21-10-2015, 15:19   #19
shanew

I was able to access records for my gtgt-grand mother a good while ago while they were still at St. Brendan's / Granegorman - about a paragraph of information... Envious about your 36 pages ... some of the more recent records have photos
21-10-2015, 15:40   #20
pinkypinky

I've been to the sorting office and collected the file.
Bowled over!
There is a photograph of her, description, etc.
Lots of medical stuff.
Letters from her children, etc.

One of the best things: list of people who were allowed visit, all identified by family relationship. This has yielded the married name of 3 sisters, so I'm looking at adding about 12 new people to the family tree once I confirm some marriage certs.
Advertisement
21-10-2015, 17:14   #21
herself_there

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I've been to the sorting office and collected the file.
Bowled over!
There is a photograph of her, description, etc.
Lots of medical stuff.
Letters from her children, etc.

One of the best things: list of people who were allowed visit, all identified by family relationship. This has yielded the married name of 3 sisters, so I'm looking at adding about 12 new people to the family tree once I confirm some marriage certs.

Wow!! Congratulations on getting the file. That's a hell of a collection! Hopefully it answers some of the questions you had.

Makes me want to start the process of trying to get my relatives file now.

Thanks for the update.
12-11-2015, 20:19   #22
Cailleachdubh

Great to here is is finally a bit of movement on these records (albeit slow). I have also tried to find out about access in the last year, after I found out my great-grandfather died there. Like most of you, I've had no luck so far. I sent off another few emails yesterdaym, then found this thread afterwards.

I'm studing psychiatry at the moment and have a few assignments to do. I'd love to incorporate what I find out into one of them, but pressure's on - I finish psych placement in 5 weeks. Very jealous of the 36 page report!!

When should I expect a reply from the NAI? I didn't email a specific person, just the mail@... address.

Last edited by Cailleachdubh; 12-11-2015 at 20:43.
12-11-2015, 23:23   #23
pinkypinky

Mine was 5 weeks from sending them the documentation. If you just mailed the main address, there might be a time lag in them getting to reply.
Thanks from:
25-02-2016, 19:41   #24
Cailleachdubh

15 weeks from my original email to Carmel Kitching and 7 weeks since I emailed all the records and still no reply regarding my request for information on the records!!
Advertisement
25-02-2016, 19:43   #25
pinkypinky

I followed up around the same timeframe and they had had a problem with their franking machine (and were apparently incapable of buying stamps) but I got it the following day. Did you get an official acknowledgement by post?
25-02-2016, 19:55   #26
Cailleachdubh

No, I didn't get any reply of any kind PinkyPinky, other than someone in the National Archives saying I should get on to Carmel K. But haven't heard a thing from her yet. Time for a follow-up email alright, but I'm not confident I'll get a reply from them this time either! I'm just very impatient
29-03-2016, 21:22   #27
-Leelo-

Sorry to drag an old thread up but I am currently compiling the info required by the HSE to get my great great grandfathers Richmond Asylum records, just wondering do they actually need all the info they ask for, and if I provide most of it but not all, will they still allow me access to them?

The following is what I can't provide
An exact date of birth, just an approximate year of birth
How many siblings and their names
Exact date of admission
Parents names

I'm hoping when I get a copy of his marriage certificate that it will give me some more info or leads to work off, but don't know how I'd be expected to know an exact date of admission??
30-03-2016, 11:10   #28
pinkypinky

I think give them everything you have, including documented proof of your connection and approximate dates.
They will realise that part of the reason to access these records are to find out information. Since it's a gg grandfather, data protection won't apply: he's definitely dead.
31-03-2016, 21:02   #29
Cailleachdubh

Is there anyone else worth contacting apart from Carmel Kitching? I still haven't received an answer from them 5 months later, after sending all the records I have. Very disappointed as we are having a family reunion soon and these records would be a great source of conversation for the day.
31-03-2016, 22:15   #30
pinkypinky

Well, my experience worked out well, so I don't know what else to suggest. If you never got an initial confirmation letter, then I'd try again from the starting point with all the info. As I said above, mine took about 6 weeks total.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion