Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2019, 14:17   #16
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
What's this related to? Is it an inherent property of the house such as location or something that can be remediated such as not being clean enough or having a washing machine? If it is the former then it is relevant. If it is the latter then it is irrelevant to my question
OP. You are on an internet board. You will get various answers.
If your responses continue along the line of this then you won’t get many replies.

The official answer lies with the HAP scheme in Limerick.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 15:56   #17
handlemaster

So it seems the OP is asking can you sell your property and then apply for social assistance fr housing.. ?? Interesting , I hope this is not possible but you never know there are alot of people who think they are owed housing in this country.

OP you are coming across as aggressive in your replies., might want to chill before hitting the keyboard

Last edited by handlemaster; 30-11-2019 at 16:12.
(4) thanks from:
30-11-2019, 17:15   #18
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Space View Post
Op lives up to name .
��

Nah, just plenty of people jumping to tell me facts that aren't pertinent to the question. I appreciate the input and all but if it's not relevant to what I am asking they might as well be jumping in and telling me what the capital of Mongolia is.

Maybe you live up to your own name too ;-)

Last edited by Donald Trump; 30-11-2019 at 17:34.
30-11-2019, 17:22   #19
Victor

Oh, if the new owner is directly related to the current owner, there may be an issue in getting a payment.
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 17:29   #20
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
So it seems the OP is asking can you sell your property and then apply for social assistance fr housing.. ?? Interesting , I hope this is not possible but you never know there are alot of people who think they are owed housing in this country.

OP you are coming across as aggressive in your replies., might want to chill before hitting the keyboard
Why do you hope it's not possible? Do you want the person to be thrown out on the street and left to die? Would that get your jollies off for you?

Person A has a mortgage but is in a situation where they will likely be on disability benefit for the rest of their lives. The person has no immediate family to speak of.

Some different scenarios:
1) Person B pays their mortgage for them for the rest of their life
2) Person B buys the house and lets person A live there for the rest of their life for the HAP rent. (There is no equity in the house, at least not when other debts are paid)
3) Person A stops paying mortgage and drags out through the courts until evicted and dragged (or wheeled) out by bailiffs by their hair. Then gets put into either a hospice or some other state provided care

Scenario 1 is neither sustainable long term or realistic. person A and Person B are not related and B has never lived in the house etc.

Strange the amount of sneery people who would seem to prefer scenario 3 so that a person who is already dealing with a lot could have the last of their dignity stripped away.

Mod note
Uncivil words removed.
Please refrain from posting this again.

Last edited by kceire; 30-11-2019 at 17:36.
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 17:36   #21
Limpy

A family in the southwest bout half an estate worth of houses (council houses) and rented them back to the owners. Instead of paying the council they payed the family.

Thats different From what your doing but the owners you buy From would have to explain to the social welfare how they are in a situation to receive HAP.
30-11-2019, 17:36   #22
kceire

Now op, I suggest the following :

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...e_payment.html

http://hap.ie/
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 19:01   #23
handlemaster

Quote:
Why do you hope it's not possible? Do you want the person to be thrown out on the street and left to die? Would that get your jollies off for you?

Person A has a mortgage but is in a situation where they will likely be on disability benefit for the rest of their lives. The person has no immediate family to speak of.

Some different scenarios:
1) Person B pays their mortgage for them for the rest of their life
2) Person B buys the house and lets person A live there for the rest of their life for the HAP rent. (There is no equity in the house, at least not when other debts are paid)
3) Person A stops paying mortgage and drags out through the courts until evicted and dragged (or wheeled) out by bailiffs by their hair. Then gets put into either a hospice or some other state provided care

Scenario 1 is neither sustainable long term or realistic. person A and Person B are not related and B has never lived in the house etc.

Strange the amount of sneery people who would seem to prefer scenario 3 so that a person who is already dealing with a lot could have the last of their dignity stripped away.

Mod note
Uncivil words removed.
Please refrain from posting this again.

Simply by wouldnt everyone do it then. Why pay for mortgage ever again
30-11-2019, 19:07   #24
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
Simply by wouldnt everyone do it then. Why pay for mortgage ever again

Go to bed if you can't understand simple logic and don't have anything constructive to contribute.
Advertisement
30-11-2019, 19:13   #25
Rows Grower

Quote:
Go to bed if you can't understand simple logic and don't have anything constructive to contribute.
Lol.
30-11-2019, 19:45   #26
Saudades

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg633 View Post
one other thing to consider - will the property meet the required standards of the HAP scheme?
Quote:
What's this related to?
I think it means that you probably won't get assistance for more bedrooms then you need.

So a single person / couple without children won't get social housing or HAP for a 2 or more bedroom home, or a single person / couple with one child won't get social housing or HAP for a 3 bedroom home etc.
30-11-2019, 19:52   #27
RobbingBandit

You'll probably have to provide bank statements and undergo means testing in a scenario like this might be worth a chat with local MABS or citizens information office about it.
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 20:04   #28
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudades View Post
I think it means that you probably won't get assistance for more bedrooms then you need.

So a single person / couple without children won't get social housing or HAP for a 2 or more bedroom home, or a single person / couple with one child won't get social housing or HAP for a 3 bedroom home etc.
From what I read this HAP is paid on a per person basis. Therefore the "rent" would not be a market rent for the actual property. That is understood now. However it is better than nothing and I did not see any conditions on what a person could and could not rent. For example, I didn't see anything saying that a single person could not rent a 2 bedroom place. However this was one of the things that I came on here to try to find out.

I gave three scenarios above. The default is that scenario 3 happens. Scenario 2 is more sustainable than scenario 1. Either way, in a few years, the person will likely not own that house still because, through no fault of their own, their income will never reach a level where they can pay the (very reasonable and normal) mortgage (<1k a month). "Downsizing" is not an option either as there is effectively no equity in the house.

Some people appear to think that scenario 3 is the best for society - else there is apparently no reason for anyone to pay a mortgage. I don't know if those people were let fall on their heads as babies too often or if too much ingestion of illegal substances has fried the lonely neurons they might have once had.
30-11-2019, 20:28   #29
The Student

Quote:
From what I read this HAP is paid on a per person basis. Therefore the "rent" would not be a market rent for the actual property. That is understood now. However it is better than nothing and I did not see any conditions on what a person could and could not rent. For example, I didn't see anything saying that a single person could not rent a 2 bedroom place. However this was one of the things that I came on here to try to find out.

I gave three scenarios above. The default is that scenario 3 happens. Scenario 2 is more sustainable than scenario 1. Either way, in a few years, the person will likely not own that house still because, through no fault of their own, their income will never reach a level where they can pay the (very reasonable and normal) mortgage (<1k a month). "Downsizing" is not an option either as there is effectively no equity in the house.

Some people appear to think that scenario 3 is the best for society - else there is apparently no reason for anyone to pay a mortgage. I don't know if those people were let fall on their heads as babies too often or if too much ingestion of illegal substances has fried the lonely neurons they might have once had.
If you rent a property at substantially below market rent (I assume this is a three bed with a single occupant and you are renting at HAP levels then the tenant may have a tax liability for benefit in kind.
Thanks from:
30-11-2019, 20:31   #30
Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Student View Post
If you rent a property at substantially below market rent (I assume this is a three bed with a single occupant and you ate renting at HAP levels then the tenant may have a tax liability for benefit in kind.

Hmmmm. But surely it could be rented as a room then in a three bed where you'd "intend" to rent out the other two beds....but sure just never get around to finding suitable tenants...)
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion