Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-11-2019, 14:44   #61
SozBbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzotint View Post
Apart from being gouged, it should be required from an environmental point of view. It's a massive waste of energy otherwise.
This is coming down the line for everyone - landlords and owner occupiers of older buildings alike.

I think there will have to be some significant incentives to help pay as a lot of people wouldnt be able to afford it.
Advertisement
20-11-2019, 14:50   #62
cnocbui

Perhaps the government should make the tax on rental income of landlords, inversely proportional to the BER rating. The higher the BER, the lower the tax.
20-11-2019, 15:25   #63
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Perhaps the government should make the tax on rental income of landlords, inversely proportional to the BER rating. The higher the BER, the lower the tax.
Not a chance.
(3) thanks from:
20-11-2019, 15:39   #64
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idbatterim View Post
The previous house I was In and being gouged for , didn’t have any attic insulation. Like this place. It’s taking the absolute piss. At the very least , decent loft insulation should be law. Very quick , cheap , non invasive and effective ...
Which is all expense and hassle to the landlord. If you want them to do it get the government to give tax breaks as the already take 51% on all rental income unless you are a REIT.

You paid the market rate that is not gouging. If it was so cheap and easy to do why didn't you do it?
20-11-2019, 15:57   #65
Idbatterim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
Which is all expense and hassle to the landlord. If you want them to do it get the government to give tax breaks as the already take 51% on all rental income unless you are a REIT.

You paid the market rate that is not gouging. If it was so cheap and easy to do why didn't you do it?
I moved out of the kip! You think buying a few rolls of loft insulation and going up there and cutting them and sticking them down is much effort or money for the landlord or getting it spray foamed? Compared to that kip which is now renting for E2000 a month The greed knows no bounds!

Would you charge market rent to a tenant and not provide even the most basic easy to install insulation?

Literally all my mates just moved back home to save and buy, renting here is comedy! the rents are obscene, the quality of the buildings is a comedy act!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-11-2019, 16:36   #66
kceire

Quote:
I moved out of the kip! You think buying a few rolls of loft insulation and going up there and cutting them and sticking them down is much effort or money for the landlord or getting it spray foamed? Compared to that kip which is now renting for E2000 a month The greed knows no bounds!

Would you charge market rent to a tenant and not provide even the most basic easy to install insulation?

Literally all my mates just moved back home to save and buy, renting here is comedy! the rents are obscene, the quality of the buildings is a comedy act!
And that’s the choice you have.
If enough of the bad stock is left then they will be forced by market conditions to upgrade.

This reminds me of the old public sector V private sector threads on this board over the years. The same thing was said by the PS haters, market force decides the PrvS wages so let market forces decide rent.

There should be tax breaks or grant schemes for landlords to upgrade but there’s not at the moment. If there was some form of grants or tax off sets then I’d guess many would upgrade.
20-11-2019, 16:39   #67
Doop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Palmer View Post
Eh...There are grants!!
https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-ener...lation-grants/

Quote:
Who can apply
All homeowners, including landlords, whose homes were built and occupied before 2006 can apply. Homes built from 2006 onwards should have been constructed to the 2003 Building Regulations and should not need significant upgrades. This is defined as the date your electricity meter was installed.
Quote:
Where exactly are your mates going to buy? seeing as all the buildings are a joke... must all be purchasing abroad...?
20-11-2019, 16:57   #68
Idbatterim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doop View Post
Eh...There are grants!!
https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-ener...lation-grants/

Where exactly are your mates going to buy? seeing as all the buildings are a joke... must all be purchasing abroad...?
most of the apartment buildings are comedy. they are buying houses. Given that its a total free for all here, when it comes to disturbing neighbours with noise or being antisocial etc, as if any of the authorities here will do anything about it. The sound insulation etc with apartments here is a farce, at least if you buy a house, the worst is noise from both sides, in an apartment, it can come from everywhere!

lifts out of action, kids taking the piss in communal areas etc. Many not paying the management fee, the usual!
Thanks from:
20-11-2019, 17:06   #69
Seanachai

Quote:
most of the apartment buildings are comedy. they are buying houses. Given that its a total free for all here, when it comes to disturbing neighbours with noise or being antisocial etc, as if any of the authorities here will do anything about it. The sound insulation etc with apartments here is a farce, at least if you buy a house, the worst is noise from both sides, in an apartment, it can come from everywhere!

lifts out of action, kids taking the piss in communal areas etc. Many not paying the management fee, the usual!
I've been through the wringer with noise issues, I think the culprit could be gone though, she hasn't been heard of for a month now, fingers crossed. My building is old but the landlord pays for the gas heating for the winter, it's cold in the mornings but not too bad in the evenings. I'm amazed at how cold and damp some of my friends modern apartments are though.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-11-2019, 18:32   #70
Idbatterim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanachai View Post
I've been through the wringer with noise issues, I think the culprit could be gone though, she hasn't been heard of for a month now, fingers crossed. My building is old but the landlord pays for the gas heating for the winter, it's cold in the mornings but not too bad in the evenings. I'm amazed at how cold and damp some of my friends modern apartments are though.
in general, you'd be off your rocker to buy an apartment in this country, unless you have no alternative!
Thanks from:
20-11-2019, 18:47   #71
kceire

Newer apartments are not so bad. Especially with the updated sound regulations and sound transmission tests required.
20-11-2019, 18:55   #72
Idbatterim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
Newer apartments are not so bad. Especially with the updated sound regulations and sound transmission tests required.
they have the regulations, but are they still working to self certification?
20-11-2019, 20:54   #73
kceire

Quote:
they have the regulations, but are they still working to self certification?
Kind of.
The developer still engages the professional for design, inspection and certification but they have to apply for a Completion of Compliance on Certificate from Building Control, and in Dublin, every multi unit gets inspected. Part of the CCC process is demonstrating compliance with various requirements and the actual sound test results are requested as part of that.
20-11-2019, 22:26   #74
Deanzoggggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Carbon taxes do that, but with less bureaucracy, which is why the technocrats encourage them.
20-11-2019, 22:32   #75
blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
Are you even remotely aware of how much it would cost to bring a typical D rated dwelling up to a B rating?

You cannot and should not retrospectively apply old regulations to home owners, private or landlords.
I guess I’ll find out as I am now required by law to do just that if I want to extend my house the way I planned before I bought it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ions-1.4031816

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion