Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2019, 15:02   #31
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idbatterim View Post
What a pisstake. What kind of priCk landlord would knowingly let someone live in their place with no roof insulation?!

Best to get it sprayfoamed. If you did it yourself op, would be few hundred not into thousands , but that’s not the point really ...
Do not do this OP, without the landlords consent and permission from the Management Company.

The property was built in the 90’s. A time when 50mm aero board went under concrete slabs. Now a days it’s 125-150mm.
Regulations change and improve.

The same people giving out about these crap regs are the same people giving out that force new builds to comply with the much higher current regs. Can’t win.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 15:53   #32
blergh

Spray foam never finishes off-gassing. So if you have an attic full of it then it is continuously emitting formaldehyde. formaldehyde is a little denser than air so it falls down into your house.
19-11-2019, 16:13   #33
AlanG

If the BER was advertised on the apartment when you rented then you cant really complain as long as it is genuine. If there was no BER or it was false thn you could probably break your lease with no penalty as it is a legal requirement to advertise a BER. if I were you I would buy a few rolls of rockwool and stick them in the attic.
19-11-2019, 16:44   #34
headtheball14

It's 20 quid a roll in woodies atm. 3 rolls did my attic. You could see if ll will cover or just buy and do it. Or just burn heating all winter .
(3) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 20:26   #35
DoozerT6

I can't see how a tenant would be allowed, or insured!!, to go into the communal attic space and insulate the part of the ceiling over their own apartment. Should anything happen to you it could be a legal mess.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 20:33   #36
blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerT6 View Post
I can't see how a tenant would be allowed, or insured!!, to go into the communal attic space and insulate the part of the ceiling over their own apartment. Should anything happen to you it could be a legal mess.
Don't fall through the ceiling so. Stupid society where nobody wants to do the most mundane tasks without worrying about insurance.

If it's removable then I can't imagine any worse consequence than being told to remove it at some point.

I guess don't do any stupid stuff like leaving big gaps especially over the kitchen or a bathroom, or blocking up all the ventilation.

This is a pointless debate though as it doesn't sound like he's considering this as an option anyway.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 20:37   #37
MicktheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blergh View Post

This is a pointless debate though as it doesn't sound like he's considering this as an option anyway.
That and the fact that lack of insulation might not be the problem.
19-11-2019, 20:52   #38
Spanish Eyes

Buy a halogen heater for 25quid. You will be roasting, and they are relatively inexpensive to run. Add in an oil filled plug in radiator and you will be in your bikini/shorts.

Am waiting for a big job to get the gas boiler moved and upgraded and these two items have saved my life with absolutely NO central heating at the moment! Heated electric blanket finishes it all off beautifully.

They can be moved from room to room. Buy them, keep yourself warm as there is nothing worse than being cold and miserable.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 21:06   #39
antix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
They can be moved from room to room. Buy them, keep yourself warm as there is nothing worse than being cold and miserable.
+1 on this.
I've a blow heater and a halogen heater. By the time i notice I've run out of oil the house has dropped to single digits and these items are a lifesaver. The blowheater on my locker, the halogen heater in the living room. add an electric blanket and you'd swear you were in the bahamas.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 22:17   #40
Lantus

Post up a pic of the attic and the insulation. Try to indicate joist depth.

If it is this then as said a few rolls is cheap as chips and easy to put down. Other culprits are air leakage through doors and windows or external vents. Check all.
19-11-2019, 22:24   #41
Mrs OBumble

OP, we're still waiting to hear what the BER was when you rented the place ....
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 22:30   #42
meijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
OP, we're still waiting to hear what the BER was when you rented the place ....
and that's an excuse for a cold place?

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning...property-meet/

"Adequate heating and ventilation must be provided."
19-11-2019, 22:42   #43
Man Vs ManUre

Long story short I switched provider to Airtricity few years ago, and due to some mixup on my part thinking they were taking electricity and gas, they only took over electricity, and the account closing with BG removed my gas meter from outside and took me off the grid.
Tried to get back on it 2 winters ago, and first step is you have to get RGI certified and then you can get gas meter reinstalled, but RGII fella said he was detecting a leak at the outside meter pipe so couldn’t give the cert, and could be big job to locate the leak. So been using a Dyson heater for past 2 years. So far have avoided an electric meter actual bill and just been paying fixed, so will eventually have huge electricity bill on top of trying to get the heating properly fixed.
Will try another RGII fella and see if he says same.
19-11-2019, 22:51   #44
Enter name here
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijin View Post
and that's an excuse for a cold place?

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning...property-meet/

"Adequate heating and ventilation must be provided."
The OP stated the apartment has storage heating that is adequate under law.

Maybe you could read the whole thread next time before passing an utterly useless statement.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 23:07   #45
meijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter name here View Post
The OP stated the apartment has storage heating that is adequate under law.

Maybe you could read the whole thread next time before passing an utterly useless statement.
I've read the thread. It's not adequate if it's not working or it's still cold. Or he needs to learn how to use the storage heater correctly.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion