Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2019, 11:16   #16
Doop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicFool View Post
The people who built the apartments. The engineer who signed off on it.
Whats the age of the block? It was most likely built to the regs at the time, also again depending on the age of the block it was most likely a case of 'self certification'. I would hazard a guess your laying blame in the wrong places.

The by far easiest thing to do is just put down additional insulation in the attic yourself, You wont get anywhere with the mgmt company, nor the landlord by the sounds of it.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 11:20   #17
SozBbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
It is actually a management company problem because you don't own the attic, nor does the landlord under leasehold, they do and their upkeep is part of their remit. Get the name of someone in the management company and hound them. In the meantime some cheap heaters might be the way to go.
With respect, an OMC won't take instruction from a tenant. They'd need to hear it via the landlord. Your LL probably knows this and is just fobbing you off.

The OMC will only act if a significant proportion of their members (the owners) ask for something. Then if the spend is outside their budget they would probably only seek to include it in next years budget if the members voted on the matter at the AGM.

If you want to stay long term, possibly the best thing to do is try to make friends with owner occupier neighbours and plant the seed about better insulation reducing everyones bills. Get the item on the OMCs agenda.
Nothing will happen quickly, thats for sure.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 13:10   #18
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by SozBbz View Post
With respect, an OMC won't take instruction from a tenant. They'd need to hear it via the landlord. Your LL probably knows this and is just fobbing you off.

The OMC will only act if a significant proportion of their members (the owners) ask for something. Then if the spend is outside their budget they would probably only seek to include it in next years budget if the members voted on the matter at the AGM.

If you want to stay long term, possibly the best thing to do is try to make friends with owner occupier neighbours and plant the seed about better insulation reducing everyones bills. Get the item on the OMCs agenda.
Nothing will happen quickly, thats for sure.
They are responsible for it, whether they fob it off on someone else or use some nonsense about cost. We have dealt with this without drama. I guess we just run a good ship!
19-11-2019, 13:22   #19
CosmicFool

I don't see why I should have to fork out money for a place I'm only renting. I'm not paying to have the attic insulated. I will contact the landlord and management company and see what they'll do. I'm not going chasing them either. If they won't do anything then I'll be moving to probably a slightly better insulated apt.
(3) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 13:29   #20
washman3

Quote:
God the apartments in Ireland are ****. There has to be a better way to heat an apartment than ****ty expensive storage heaters.
Had a look in the attic of out apartment and the insulation is non existent. How did they get a way with it.

They gave a brown envelope to the local councillor or TD or both who in turn ensured that a blind eye was turned to the ****e standard the apartments were built thus maximising profit for their Galway Tent buddies.
Simple really.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 13:32   #21
blergh

Quote:
I don't see why I should have to fork out money for a place I'm only renting. I'm not paying to have the attic insulated. I will contact the landlord and management company and see what they'll do. I'm not going chasing them either. If they won't do anything then I'll be moving to probably a slightly better insulated apt.
You're shelling out to heat your poorly insulated apartment right now though.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 13:36   #22
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blergh View Post
You're shelling out to heat your poorly insulated apartment right now though.
So I should just suck it up then and pay out thousands for insulation for the landlord?
19-11-2019, 13:40   #23
Idbatterim

What a pisstake. What kind of priCk landlord would knowingly let someone live in their place with no roof insulation?!

Best to get it sprayfoamed. If you did it yourself op, would be few hundred not into thousands , but that’s not the point really ...
19-11-2019, 13:53   #24

Quote:
Your call. I genuinely couldn't give a damn what you do. Although I'll call around and help you pack, if you like.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 14:08   #25
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 171170 View Post
Your call. I genuinely couldn't give a damn what you do. Although I'll call around and help you pack, if you like.
I just don't understand people like you.
19-11-2019, 14:11   #26
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doop View Post
Whats the age of the block? It was most likely built to the regs at the time, also again depending on the age of the block it was most likely a case of 'self certification'. I would hazard a guess your laying blame in the wrong places.

The by far easiest thing to do is just put down additional insulation in the attic yourself, You wont get anywhere with the mgmt company, nor the landlord by the sounds of it.
I'm not sure but I reckon the 90s. The apt is in serious need of renovating but it was cheaper than other apt around the place and very close to work so didn't really mind. I'm now understanding why it was cheaper than other places. Lesson learned I guess.
19-11-2019, 14:17   #27
blergh

Quote:
So I should just suck it up then and pay out thousands for insulation for the landlord?
I'd avoid spending thousands on it personally.

There really should be a regulation on having minimum standards of insulation on rental properties. They've decided I have to bring my house up to b2 if I extend by 33% or more. Rents are crazy these days so you should expect some reasonable basic standards.
19-11-2019, 14:24   #28
SozBbz

Quote:
I'm not sure but I reckon the 90s. The apt is in serious need of renovating but it was cheaper than other apt around the place and very close to work so didn't really mind. I'm now understanding why it was cheaper than other places. Lesson learned I guess.
Heres your answer.

Property only has to conform to the standard at time of its construction and insulation wasnt such a hot topic back in the 90's.

The LL has probably priced in high heating costs. You could pay more elsewhere and have lower bills but its probably net the same.

Talk to your LL and see if you can terminate early without penalty if you want to move. In the current market conditions they might let you or only charge a small penalty. Negotiate.

By no means should you make changes (even if they'd actually be improvements) to a rented property. Its not yours to touch, and its probably not the LL's either. Roof space tends to be the charge of the OMC and considered a common area. Interfere with that at your peril.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 14:38   #29
Doop

Quote:
Well its a work around really and the only way it will ever get done... at any sort of reasonable time frame..at cost of couple of hundred for comfort ..I know what i'd be doing..

Anyway you've answered yourself a few times on the thread... if you aren't happy.. move...
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 14:58   #30
antix80

Quote:
God the apartments in Ireland are ****. There has to be a better way to heat an apartment than ****ty expensive storage heaters.
Had a look in the attic of out apartment and the insulation is non existent. How did they get a way with it.
Does the storage heater heat your apartment when it's on, or do you refuse to turn it on because it's too expensive?

I'd say move out and find a better built apartment.

I know each apartment is meant to be self-contained, but in the past I lived in a top floor of an apartment building and the heat from the apartments below and to the sides kept me nice and toasty.
If your neighbours leave the heat off to save money, heat will be escaping from your apartment from all directions.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion