Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2019, 10:22   #1
CosmicFool

Freezing Apartment

God the apartments in Ireland are ****. There has to be a better way to heat an apartment than ****ty expensive storage heaters.
Had a look in the attic of out apartment and the insulation is non existent. How did they get a way with it.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 10:24   #2
handlemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicFool View Post
God the apartments in Ireland are ****. There has to be a better way to heat an apartment than ****ty expensive storage heaters.
Had a look in the attic of out apartment and the insulation is non existent. How did they get a way with it.

Who is they ?
19-11-2019, 10:27   #3
is_that_so

Quote:
Do you own or do you rent? If it's renting contact landlord ASAP. Otherwise find someone who'll do it for you. No amount of feeling sorry for yourself will fix it! Good luck.
(5) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 10:28   #4
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlemaster View Post
Who is they ?
The people who built the apartments. The engineer who signed off on it.
19-11-2019, 10:28   #5
blergh

Get some insulation and put it in the attic. Could get solid blocks if you might be removing it later.

Could look at getting infra red heaters too. They heat objects including people instead of air which can be more efficient in some contexts.

Or move to a less sh!t apartment.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 10:30   #6
o1s1n

I haven't switched the storage heaters on in my apartment in years. They're ****e. Keep meaning to remove them.

At the moment I have one of these mounted on the wall in the bedroom;

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/...NEL+HEATER.htm

and one of these in the sitting room

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/...TRIC+STOVE.htm

Has kept us nice and toasty for the last couple of years. Just be mindful using them as they can chew through electricity if you leave them on constantly.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 10:31   #7
JustMe,K

Insulate the attic & replace the radiators with better ones?
19-11-2019, 10:33   #8
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
Do you own or do you rent? If it's renting contact landlord ASAP. Otherwise find someone who'll do it for you. No amount of feeling sorry for yourself will fix it! Good luck.
Renting. I don't feel sorry for myself. I just needed to rant. I've mentioned it to the landlord who says to contact the management company who I know will say it's not their problem. Our lease is for one year and isn't up till next summer. Would one be able to terminate the lease and get deposit back due to the place being absolutely freezing.
(3) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 10:36   #9
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blergh View Post
Get some insulation and put it in the attic. Could get solid blocks if you might be removing it later.

Could look at getting infra red heaters too. They heat objects including people instead of air which can be more efficient in some contexts.

Or move to a less sh!t apartment.
I'm renting the apt. I'll look into those infra red heaters though. Thanks.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 10:37   #10
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
I haven't switched the storage heaters on in my apartment in years. They're ****e. Keep meaning to remove them.

At the moment I have one of these mounted on the wall in the bedroom;

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/...NEL+HEATER.htm

and one of these in the sitting room

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/...TRIC+STOVE.htm

Has kept us nice and toasty for the last couple of years. Just be mindful using them as they can chew through electricity if you leave them on constantly.
Thanks but don't want to be buying those for an apt I rent.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 10:39   #11
is_that_so

Quote:
Renting. I don't feel sorry for myself. I just needed to rant. I've mentioned it to the landlord who says to contact the management company who I know will say it's not their problem. Our lease is for one year and isn't up till next summer. Would one be able to terminate the lease and get deposit back due to the place being absolutely freezing.
It is actually a management company problem because you don't own the attic, nor does the landlord under leasehold, they do and their upkeep is part of their remit. Get the name of someone in the management company and hound them. In the meantime some cheap heaters might be the way to go.
(4) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 10:45   #12
CosmicFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by is_that_so View Post
It is actually a management company problem because you don't own the attic, nor does the landlord under leasehold, they do and their upkeep is part of their remit. Get the name of someone in the management company and hound them. In the meantime some cheap heaters might be the way to go.
Thanks. I'll contact them.
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 10:53   #13
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Thanks. I'll contact them.
Don't waste your time: they aren't going to talk to a tenant.

Instead contact your landlord and ask him/ her to contact them.

Was a BER rating advised when you rented the place?

Personally I've found properly-used storage heaters to be very clost effective, when combined with adequate clothing and a decent duvet. And it's far better than living with the risk of your oil being stolen.
(4) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 10:56   #14

Quote:
A bit disingenuous of the LL to tell his tenant to contact the Management Company. He is a member of the Mgt Company so he is the one who really needs to contact them.

That said, if you can access the roof space yourself, you should consider insulating the attic space yourself; it's not too expensive and you could ask the LL to offset it against your rent. Or ask him to do it.

For me terminating your lease over this issue would be the nuclear option!
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 11:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post

Personally I've found properly-used storage heaters to be very clost effective, when combined with adequate clothing and a decent duvet.

Yep, they're grand. But you'd need a night rate electricity meter to reduce running costs, which, in a rented property might be a problem.

But the first thing to do is to install adequate roof cavity insulation.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion