Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-11-2019, 18:56   #346
caveat emptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurawindsurfing View Post
I noticed there is an excess of ceiling vents in the rooms. I wonder if anyone can confirm if there is a Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery system in place? I could not see the exchanger anywhere in the house.

Thank you.
Yeah I don't think there is one. Seems like it's common knowledge in the industry. I've posted an article below which is a good read. To summarise there are regs for insulation and air tightness. This creates ventilation issues and can lead to mould. There are no regulations around heat recovery ventilation so holes in the wall are more cost efficient to meet ventilation regs. This is not against regs and as modern houses are more insulated more holes in the wall are required which in turn can lead to higher than expected heating bills.. In a normally heated house this would be an issue but it might be more obvious in houses heated by heat pumps.

If you google new-build-homes-face-emerging-ventilation-crisis there is a good article explaining the ins and outs and various options. Will look at the different options to counteract. Blocking the vents is not a good sustainable solution as will most certainly lead to mould etc.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/magazine...ilation-crisis

Last edited by Graham; 27-11-2019 at 19:53.
Advertisement
22-11-2019, 21:20   #347
aurawindsurfing

I have verified that there is central extraction fan for all the vents in the house. There is no heat exchanger tough.
22-11-2019, 22:43   #348
Bindiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedsRevengeP View Post
We were told to set it at the temp we want, and leave it there. So at the min with colder weather we're leaving it around 22 to 23 generally.

What did they tell you to do?

We were told the same thing and bcoz of cold weather we are also leaving it at 20 or 22. But this meter reading for 11 days is very high. Is it the same case for everyone?

Thanks
25-11-2019, 18:25   #349
caveat emptor

Quote:
I have verified that there is central extraction fan for all the vents in the house. There is no heat exchanger tough.
Thanks Aurawindsurfing,
Is that for the kitchen or the whole house? When we looked at the show house you could see the partially built houses across the street and there is clearly holes in the wall for vents. They are the same house so would assume they are the same holes.

There's various different solutions that can mitigate the heat loss. We are looking into it will post if find anything good.
Thanks.

https://imgur.com/j77jE4i

Last edited by caveat emptor; 25-11-2019 at 19:53. Reason: update link
25-11-2019, 20:52   #350
aurawindsurfing

Yes I was looking at the same, however I probably try it out for some time and see how the house feels. I would say that comparing to my current one it will be like in a sauna ��
Advertisement
26-11-2019, 13:16   #351
Brego888

People need to realise that your meter reading will be slightly higher than what you are used to because your electricity is doing everything. But you now have no gas or oil bill so you should be saving overall.
26-11-2019, 22:03   #352
Dommi1

We are using the box room as a nursary. It is always freezing cold in there. I could feel air from the outside blowing in (felt as though a window was open). I took off the vent cover just to see and it is just a open hole to the outside. Is this how it should be? The room is way too cold to use for a baby. Has anyone found a solution for this?

I have temporeraly blocked it off and immidiately the room was warm.
27-11-2019, 13:26   #353
aurawindsurfing

I would imagine that box room (side room) will be always colder as it has 3 walls and roof so essentially it is like a semi detached house.

I think blocking vents could couse more problems then benefits long term to be honest. I was told that there are different types of passive / active retrofitted vents that we could look at. I did not get the details yet tough.

What people from 1 phase can tell about the warmth of the houses in general? Are you happy? Would you improve/change anything?

Thanks!
28-11-2019, 09:20   #354
TedsRevengeP

Quote:
I would imagine that box room (side room) will be always colder as it has 3 walls and roof so essentially it is like a semi detached house.

I think blocking vents could couse more problems then benefits long term to be honest. I was told that there are different types of passive / active retrofitted vents that we could look at. I did not get the details yet tough.

What people from 1 phase can tell about the warmth of the houses in general? Are you happy? Would you improve/change anything?

Thanks!
We have a baby in our box room. Some nights it seemed cold but we blocked/taped over about two-thirds of the vents (leaving the top 3 or so open) and it has made a huge improvement we think.

Overall the houses are warm enough for us adults for sure. But if you put your hand to a vent in any room you can feel cold air, so if the heating bill comes and its huge, then we'll have to do something.

I think overall though while it's been cold, there's only been a few really freezing nights, and only one morning so far I've had to de frost the ice on the car. That of course could be down to being close to the sea, salt in the air etc., but maybe there are colder nights that'll be a bigger issue.

We generally keep the heating between 22 and 23.5 or so, and adjust around that as we go. We haven't had to have it up to 25. The kicthen is probably the coldest room (mornings especially), due to the huge windows I guess. But it's manageable.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2019, 11:37   #355
EMcKvr

Hi All, thanks for the info regarding the heating system. How are you finding the levels of hot water, what has been the best way to set it up so it's hot in the morning for a shower?

There are heat recovery vents available that will reduce heat loss but they are €300ish each and require power so not really ideal.

We are due to close this week, hopefully they will get the road finished and the estate tidied up in time! Anyone else due to close this week?

Went up to see the house over the weekend, noticed damage to the back door that wasn't picked up on the snag, do you think the builder will repair with no issues?
03-12-2019, 10:55   #356
Laurendon

Any one any more joy with WIFI ? We've heard nothing back from anyone we reached out to !
05-12-2019, 10:31   #357
aurawindsurfing

Found this good read about how we should run our systems: https://passivehouseplus.ie/magazine...rce-heat-pumps

@Laurendon - pm me I'm on site more less every day I can show you my setup.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion