Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-11-2019, 13:16   #346
Brego888

People need to realise that your meter reading will be slightly higher than what you are used to because your electricity is doing everything. But you now have no gas or oil bill so you should be saving overall.
Advertisement
26-11-2019, 22:03   #347
Dommi1

We are using the box room as a nursary. It is always freezing cold in there. I could feel air from the outside blowing in (felt as though a window was open). I took off the vent cover just to see and it is just a open hole to the outside. Is this how it should be? The room is way too cold to use for a baby. Has anyone found a solution for this?

I have temporeraly blocked it off and immidiately the room was warm.
27-11-2019, 13:26   #348
aurawindsurfing

I would imagine that box room (side room) will be always colder as it has 3 walls and roof so essentially it is like a semi detached house.

I think blocking vents could couse more problems then benefits long term to be honest. I was told that there are different types of passive / active retrofitted vents that we could look at. I did not get the details yet tough.

What people from 1 phase can tell about the warmth of the houses in general? Are you happy? Would you improve/change anything?

Thanks!
28-11-2019, 09:20   #349
TedsRevengeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurawindsurfing View Post
I would imagine that box room (side room) will be always colder as it has 3 walls and roof so essentially it is like a semi detached house.

I think blocking vents could couse more problems then benefits long term to be honest. I was told that there are different types of passive / active retrofitted vents that we could look at. I did not get the details yet tough.

What people from 1 phase can tell about the warmth of the houses in general? Are you happy? Would you improve/change anything?

Thanks!
We have a baby in our box room. Some nights it seemed cold but we blocked/taped over about two-thirds of the vents (leaving the top 3 or so open) and it has made a huge improvement we think.

Overall the houses are warm enough for us adults for sure. But if you put your hand to a vent in any room you can feel cold air, so if the heating bill comes and its huge, then we'll have to do something.

I think overall though while it's been cold, there's only been a few really freezing nights, and only one morning so far I've had to de frost the ice on the car. That of course could be down to being close to the sea, salt in the air etc., but maybe there are colder nights that'll be a bigger issue.

We generally keep the heating between 22 and 23.5 or so, and adjust around that as we go. We haven't had to have it up to 25. The kicthen is probably the coldest room (mornings especially), due to the huge windows I guess. But it's manageable.
Thanks from:
02-12-2019, 11:37   #350
EMcKvr

Hi All, thanks for the info regarding the heating system. How are you finding the levels of hot water, what has been the best way to set it up so it's hot in the morning for a shower?

There are heat recovery vents available that will reduce heat loss but they are €300ish each and require power so not really ideal.

We are due to close this week, hopefully they will get the road finished and the estate tidied up in time! Anyone else due to close this week?

Went up to see the house over the weekend, noticed damage to the back door that wasn't picked up on the snag, do you think the builder will repair with no issues?
Advertisement
03-12-2019, 10:55   #351
Laurendon

Any one any more joy with WIFI ? We've heard nothing back from anyone we reached out to !
Thanks from:
05-12-2019, 10:31   #352
aurawindsurfing

Found this good read about how we should run our systems: https://passivehouseplus.ie/magazine...rce-heat-pumps

@Laurendon - pm me I'm on site more less every day I can show you my setup.
14-12-2019, 19:14   #353
solvendy

This question has probably been asked multiple times but are all houses broadbandless or is it just a select few? Surely the estates surrounding Knightsgate have internet so the network cable must be there???
16-12-2019, 11:55   #354
OctoberMammy

No one in the estate has broadband because Eir haven't connected the lines and won't give anyone an update on when they plan to do so.

Cllr. Robert O'Donoghue got back to me last week confirming that the motion had (finally) been raised at Fingal Co. Co.'s December meeting. Open Eir advised that "work is ongoing at the site. The sub-duct work is assigned with the cable and splice to follow. Currently Open Eir do not have a forecast date on when the service will be available."

The whole thing is a joke. Three months now of hotspotting off my phone for internet. The Broadband Officer at Fingal Co. Co. is apparently keeping in touch with Open Eir on the matter. I'd urge residents to email him to stress how urgent the matter is (especially for those of us who work at home) and how unacceptable this delay is, and he can in turn put pressure on Eir. His email is digitalfingal@fingal.ie.
Advertisement
16-12-2019, 15:43   #355
Brian201888

Have emailed him there now, hopefully they can try and put some pressure on OpenEir
Thanks from:
30-12-2019, 17:09   #356
403 Forbidden

Hi All! being following this thread as I have intrest in the 4 bed houses that are up for sale...

Can anyone answer the following?

Are any of the rooms cabled for Ethernet?

Waiting for the agengy to open up on Thursday to see when we can visit the showhouse!
30-12-2019, 21:03   #357
tkrysiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider04 View Post
Hi All! being following this thread as I have intrest in the 4 bed houses that are up for sale...

Waiting for the agengy to open up on Thursday to see when we can visit the showhouse!
Sorry, no Ethernet in any rooms. I have looked into it myself and it is not that big of an expense but it can be a bit of a messy job.

Bigger issue is that the estate is not even connected by Eir so we are stuck with mobile internet.

Finally, (just so you know) Rush is a black hole when talking of internet. Pretty much like Skerries, exchanges are old, there is no fiber and SIRO is not available either - even though it is to the South, and it is to the North of us ;-)

tldr: Even if/when we get connected by Eir, we will have the same speeds as mobile internet just with more stability (hopefully)
Unfortunately, a number of us here are working from home and every single one faces the same issue...
30-12-2019, 21:20   #358
adox

How fast do you need? While there is no Siro or true fibre in Rush speeds are fine for the vast majority of people who have it.
30-12-2019, 22:00   #359
aurawindsurfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider04 View Post

Hey @flowrider04

I can confirm that actually 4 beds are wired for ethernet from the main eircom box. When you get to the house you will not see them as they are blanked off.

There is one cable from eircom box to the living room, then one between kitchen and living room and also one between first floor bedroom and living room.

That is it. It is not much but better then nothing.

Hope this helps!

By the way, when do they plan to open showhouse again?

Last edited by aurawindsurfing; 30-12-2019 at 22:04.
31-12-2019, 11:44   #360
403 Forbidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurawindsurfing View Post
Hey @flowrider04

I can confirm that actually 4 beds are wired for ethernet from the main eircom box. When you get to the house you will not see them as they are blanked off.

There is one cable from eircom box to the living room, then one between kitchen and living room and also one between first floor bedroom and living room.

That is it. It is not much but better then nothing.

Hope this helps!

By the way, when do they plan to open showhouse again?
That's great! its a start!

No idea on the showhouse - hoping for Saturday ( will know more on Thursday)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion