Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I've to make such a big decision really soon.I don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight. I don't know what to do.

actually the more i think about it, the more I'm thinking what's actually bothering me is what someone else is going to say/think when I ask for help. It's not a nice position to be in. But it shouldn't put me off making this decision. its probably better for me to go through with it, and this is the main thing putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 echos

I have only read thru 1st few pages of this thread. Bascially i do not suffer from depression but do from anxiety, like when i am in a meeting, in the car in traffic etc. heavy breathing comes on etc. i can explain more, can someone relate to this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I've to make such a big decision really soon.I don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight. I don't know what to do.

actually the more i think about it, the more I'm thinking what's actually bothering me is what someone else is going to say/think when I ask for help. It's not a nice position to be in. But it shouldn't put me off making this decision. its probably better for me to go through with it, and this is the main thing putting me off.

Go for it. Good luck. Things are rarely as bad as you expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

i made the decision to move to dublin, was going to go up tomorrow to look at apartments. but now my mood has been thrown.

I hate this. i hate being so easily depressed. I want to stop feeling so bad over everything.

I need friends, to make things ok, but everything is standing in the way. it's never going to happen. i'll probably kill myself before i get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys just found this thread, such a good idea.

I was just wondering, does anyone ese here get SAD?

ANyone dreading winter??
    Feel like im waiting guessing and judging the moment when everything will start to fall apart again... living on borrowed time....

NOt really sure if I should flee the country for warmer climes or hang on in there!!!

Anyone else having the same worries??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

moonsnail wrote: »
    Hey guys just found this thread, such a good idea.

I was just wondering, does anyone ese here get SAD?

ANyone dreading winter??
    Feel like im waiting guessing and judging the moment when everything will start to fall apart again... living on borrowed time....

NOt really sure if I should flee the country for warmer climes or hang on in there!!!

Anyone else having the same worries??

do you have the option to flee to sunnier climbs? if so then hit the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Moonsnail, if a holiday isn't an option, have you tried a SAD lamp? I have heard they do work for some ppl.

Having a definite 'dip' :(. Sleep is worse than ever, usually fall asleep around 4/5 and up at 8/9. Things with college are finally getting sorted, but still feeling negative about it.

And everything else in my life is going pretty ...well not going.:(
    And my therapist is suggesting we wind down.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey guys.
    Thanks for replies.
    Mickman - well i do have the option of leaving..
    by halloween i will have saved up enough, and thats usually when it really kicks in.

the thing is i would feel so guilty about leaving -
    my parents really hepled me in the last year with my unemployment,
    and now that I have only recently got a job in august, it seems like an awfully foolish thing to do, throwing away this job
    when it took me so long to find it.
    ( But then I may have to leave anyway if I get really bad.)

When I began, I was part-time, with the option of a few weeks hols in winter,
    so I thought perhaps I could manage with that.
    I have since gone full time, and there would be no one to cover for a few weeks hols,
    so its all or nothing really.
    They asked me when I started if I was going traveling in the next year or so,
    I said no, so I would really be letting them down.

Also both my parents have SAD a bit - I would fel guilty abandoning them at the worst time of year as my sisters already gone
    and sometimes I'm the only one who's here with them ( complicated - odd working hours for them both.)

I've been researching the lamp idea, but there is so many different opinions on
    whether they work and so many different prices, Im afraid of spending a large chunk of my 'escape' money
    on it, with no effect.

Anyone here had a good experience of them?

As superficial as it sounds, I'm very terrified of the weight gain, I have issues with things like that anyway
    so its very stressful.

Delicate Dlite - sorry to hear about your sleeping - I know how stressful sleeping issues can be.

I hope it improves for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

And my therapist is suggesting we wind down.

As a therapist myself the big thing here would be to speak to them if your unhappy about. I not saying you are doing this but often people think we are mind readers, it's your therapy, your time for you every week. Sometimes thing can't be changed, but if you are ever not happy with something in your therapy, speak to your therapist about it. Anyway best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've managed to get myself out of bed to go and meet some friends.

An insignificant achievement for most people, but I'm pretty proud!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Fair play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

An insignificant achievement for most people

Yes but most people don't deal with what you deal with, and those of us who do know that on bad days buying a pint of milk can be way more social interaction than you want to handle. You did good, girl. You deserve to be proud of yourself.

Now to do it again tommorrow :o

Now to do it again tommorrow :o

I know the feeling.

Today I went to the gym for the first time in over a week, I put it off for a while due to being anxious going there. I finally made it back today. Just need to be brave again tomorrow.

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I know the feeling.

Today I went to the gym for the first time in over a week, I put it off for a while due to being anxious going there. I finally made it back today. Just need to be brave again tomorrow.

I got out of bed today, I'll go to the gym tommorrow. One step at a time!

One step at a time!

I wouldn't have it any other way :)

I didn't make it to the gym today, but I did make it to the chemist to pick up my meds. Priorities! Then I had gotten wet from the rain and of course had to go back to bed, any excuse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭candlemouse

his whole life (in the mid 30's now) and who most of all has consistently and definitely refused to help themselves or allow others to help despite been offered the best of it.

A few years ago I said to a therapist that I sensed the flame of the candle inside me (guess you could call it my soul / sanity / life) had long past full flame. Well years later and the last dim light been provided by the wick is just waiting on a light draft or blow to put it out.

I'm an individual who has never learned how to laugh or communicate. I'm a sensitive person but hard necked enough to have made it this far. I've very vivid dreams and if I only took the time to write them down and read them back to myself I'd be the better for it.

I'm the man who has built up a system he never took the time to understand or question and who views starting again akin to going back to junior infants (and I know people say one small step at a time). I'm someone who walks down the street and while you never can tell what others are thinking, when I see people chatting, laughing, slagging each other I say to myself, I wonder if they know how fortunate they really are.

When people and support organization say speak to a friend, professional, etc well I never had a friend and I refuse to act on sound advice.

Medication has its place however I've no plans to ever go back on it.

Regards,

oh by they way I'm familiar with inherited depression and that's probably very true in my case. Despite having learned a lot I've not and don't do anything about it. I know how to take the small steps and know what its like to fall and how much more difficult it becomes to get up and start again often years later.
    I should have fine collection of gold medals for beating myself up. I understand that could / should = won't.
    I come from poverty, have a challenging job (but feel it may not be me), a mortgage and a car. I can be courageous enough to ask a question (often knowing that I'm gonna be stumped by the answer) but always come away asking and understanding why I'm stumped.
    To me a friend is someone who you can build up a interaction with either on 1 or many things. I understand the importance of keeping yourself active and having a routine. I understand that to a great many people going to 'mass' is a way of simply getting to visibly see others once a week.
    I view the world as a place of great opportunity.
    I know the importance of mediating 1st hand
    I know mom's and dad's can have different parenting styles and the confusion that can cause
    I'm a father who can only relate to his children by trying to speak their language but not knowing how to help them grow.
    Do I allow myself take time out ? no
    Do I look after myself ? no
    I've high blood pressure brought on mainly though years of my sub conscious trying to make sense of my life when I'm asleep - well its probably screaming at me what I need really need to be doing.
    I live alone in a city
    I can be extremely cold to others
    I can spot the small and big wonders of nature, give them a glancing thought and only remember them when I'm beating myself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

oh by they way I'm familiar with inherited depression and that's probably very true in my case. Despite having learned a lot I've not and don't do anything about it. I know how to take the small steps and know what its like to fall and how much more difficult it becomes to get up and start again often years later.
    I should have fine collection of gold medals for beating myself up. I understand that could / should = won't.
    I come from poverty, have a challenging job (but feel it may not be me), a mortgage and a car. I can be courageous enough to ask a question (often knowing that I'm gonna be stumped by the answer) but always come away asking and understanding why I'm stumped.
    To me a friend is someone who you can build up a interaction with either on 1 or many things. I understand the importance of keeping yourself active and having a routine. I understand that to a great many people going to 'mass' is a way of simply getting to visibly see others once a week.
    I view the world as a place of great opportunity.
    I know the importance of mediating 1st hand
    I know mom's and dad's can have different parenting styles and the confusion that can cause
    I'm a father who can only relate to his children by trying to speak their language but not knowing how to help them grow.
    Do I allow myself take time out ? no
    Do I look after myself ? no
    I've high blood pressure brought on mainly though years of my sub conscious trying to make sense of my life when I'm asleep - well its probably screaming at me what I need really need to be doing.
    I live alone in a city
    I can be extremely cold to others
    I can spot the small and big wonders of nature, give them a glancing thought and only remember them when I'm beating myself up.

You got help at one stage i assume? (the medication)
    You had a live- You have a kid.
    You can drive.
    You have your own house.
    That's initially 4 things i notice that i'm envious of you for and things i may never be able to do.

• Advertisement

In relation to myself, does anyone else feel that they were born with hypersensitive emotions? Setbacks and failures that other people seem to shrug off easily, I take very much to heart. I'm my own worst enemy, I beat myself up for everything.

I wonder if those of us who are prone to depression feel everything a bit more.

Thanks Phi3
    Unfortunately due to a real lack of self worth, self esteem and self respect I choose to not look at the 'positives'.

Thanks Phi3
    Unfortunately due to a real lack of self worth, self esteem and self respect I choose to not look at the 'positives'.

Is it that you 'choose' not to, or you simply can't? Most people with depression can't appreciate the good aspects of their lives.

Would you not try talking to someone and/or medication another time? Surely it's worth a try?

i-digress wrote: »
    In relation to myself, does anyone else feel that they were born with hypersensitive emotions? Setbacks and failures that other people seem to shrug off easily, I take very much to heart. I'm my own worst enemy, I beat myself up for everything.

I totally feel like this! I' love to be one of those people who just breeze through life if you get me. For example in my job. It gets stressful and annoying for everyone, but I'm the only one who has breakdowns because of it.

If I'm really honest its both compounded by years of conditioning myself to be 'happy living in my little world of sh*t. So no exactly motivated to change even with a thumping heart, the fitness machines screaming High Heart Rate.

If I'm really honest its both compounded by years of conditioning myself to be 'happy living in my little world of sh*t. So no exactly motivated to change even with a thumping heart, the fitness machines screaming High Heart Rate.

If you're that unhappy, surely something needs to change though.

I totally feel like this! I' love to be one of those people who just breeze through life if you get me. For example in my job. It gets stressful and annoying for everyone, but I'm the only one who has breakdowns because of it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I take everything to heart and let it fester until I have very little self-worth. I'm trying to toughen up, but it's an uphill battle.

For example in my job. It gets stressful and annoying for everyone, but I'm the only one who has breakdowns because of it.
    i-digress wrote: »

I'm the very same but with added paranoia and endless worrying.

There's that word change. Is it possible ? sure. Do people do it all the time ? sure. Do they fail and get up and try again ? sure. When I think of change I begin wonder were to start. Extremely difficult when you become overwhelmed with the amount of things. I give after compiling a list and thinking is there a deeper mean to the items on the list, is there a more fundamental thing here that needs to be addressed - at this point I banish the idea. Couple that with the fact that it has to be a permanent change and 'not going there'.
    You might ask what does this person need. well parenting for 1, however since that's not going to happen, a little support. Support in the sense of been able to simply speak to another person or persons and having the discipline to keep sentences short so the other person can take in what was said, reply and feel they are been listened to.
    I'm ok at doing this but the moment we part I'm back to old me. Don't get me wrong I known what its like to reflect later on on the conversation and how much can be learned from simply doing that but I won't allow myself to do it. When you allow something (old habits, etc) or the slight thing (a knock back, etc) to the mix and never gonna happen.
    All of the above is why I don't go out, why my work colleagues can't understand my work habits, why my relationships fail. back to baby steps I here you say and your right - but feck all that. I choose (somethings knowingly sometimes not to dig in and be extremely cruel to myself for example for years I've been telling myself while driving my children back to their mums that this is the last time I will see you, this is how you might remember me. When one of them tells me your the best daddy ever I choose to say to myself yeah but you would get over me.

Well looking at this post you'd say he's a moaner big time and you would be right. Instead I choose not to do my moaning out loud anymore instead I pretend to listen but very often get caught out by a silent stare to not getting invited back, etc - I'm thinking of work here but its the same outside.
    Change - anybody got any lol. To pass the evenings I buy booze (binge drinker), or spend my money wastefully. thus when summer, xmas, etc comes up I cannot afford it. I've thought about how a girlfriend might keep me in check, however one has to get that far! I have on a number of occasion and I just ended up coming home from her's more and more often and squandering anyway. Anyway a girlfriend is not the resolution here.
    I acknowledge that I'm full of contradictions, etc and that I could have content living standard if only I copped on.
    Women (silence from the forest gump movie when he's giving his war time speech and the mic goes dead) and that's all I got to say about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

sam34 wrote: »
    i'm not remotely offended or undermined
    i ususally stay out of threads liek these, except to moderate them, but when i see misinformation i feel it is my duty to correct it, thats all.
    you will find plenty of psychiatrists who will say seroxat is addictive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/2321545.stm

"Dr David Healy, an expert on Seroxat, said: "If they aren't the right drug for you they can cause a range of problems, they can make you suicidal, they can throw you into a state of mental turmoil and even if they are the right drugs for you, in some instances they can leave you hooked."

anti depresssant discontinuation syndrome is drug company spin,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome#History scroll to history
    "anywhere from 20 percent to 80 percent (depending on the drug) suffered what was being called antidepressant withdrawal (but which, after the symposium, was renamed “discontinuation syndrome"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement