Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Can't motivate myself at all today to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crunchyogurt

Have had high anxiety for the last few days. Been feeling sick and havent really slept much. I dont like where this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mood dropped like a stone today. Low, anxious, thinking about death and suicide. Etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

nesf wrote: »
    ...thinking about death and suicide.

Would you call yourself suicidal though? Not picking a fight with you or anything like that, just that I'm constantly thinking of all that but I wouldn't call myself suicidal - I'm not in danger of acting on those thoughts.

jammstarr wrote: »
    Would you call yourself suicidal though? Not picking a fight with you or anything like that, just that I'm constantly thinking of all that but I wouldn't call myself suicidal - I'm not in danger of acting on those thoughts.

Nah, I'd call myself suicidal when plans start popping into my head and I start refining them. When it's just like this and my mind keeps straying towards those thoughts I just call it "thinking about suicide and death."

I'm not worried about it.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's certainly not great for the mood. Glad to hear you're not thinking of acting on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Yeah I try to focus on the kids and my wife but when things are bad I have trouble appreciating them.

See that's it. That seems like an unachievable goal to me. That what's makes me so sad aswell is: will I ever have a normal relationship.

I've had one boyfriend for two years, but it was really because I was working away from home at the time and I kept him away from my home life (my family has a lot of problems aswell) that I managed to be in a relationship with him.

I cant see anyone really loving me for who I am :( who would want to take all this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Nah, I'd call myself suicidal when plans start popping into my head and I start refining them. When it's just like this and my mind keeps straying towards those thoughts I just call it "thinking about suicide and death."

I'm not worried about it.

I'd find the same thing, thoughts coming up now and then, which aren't too bad but it's when thoughts turn into definite plans. There's a massive difference but it's great when you can recognise that difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

See that's it. That seems like an unachievable goal to me. That what's makes me so sad aswell is: will I ever have a normal relationship.

I've had one boyfriend for two years, but it was really because I was working away from home at the time and I kept him away from my home life (my family has a lot of problems aswell) that I managed to be in a relationship with him.

I cant see anyone really loving me for who I am :( who would want to take all this on?

This.

As much as i battle on sometimes, i'm lonely. I do have some good friends but i'm paranoid so find myself suspicious of them at times. Makes maintaining the friendship difficult. I used to compartmentalise things, but it's too tiring now.

@Midlandsmissus, thing is this is how i feel when i'm tired of things, mostly though i find i can have quite a bit of faith in the future with the right help, hope you can at least sometimes see things that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

My mind is racing a mile a minute, cant concentrate on anything yet im bored and want to do something, cant even watch tv properly...aaaaarrrgggghhhhhh

• Advertisement

talullah wrote: »
    My mind is racing a mile a minute, cant concentrate on anything yet im bored and want to do something, cant even watch tv properly...aaaaarrrgggghhhhhh

I hate nights like that.

That's me. I can't meet let alone keep anyone. I've been called toxic before. No one wants to be around someone like that :(

That's me. I can't meet let alone keep anyone. I've been called toxic before. No one wants to be around someone like that :(

I thought the same, then I met my wife to be.

Just goes to show that this might not be terminal :o

Loneliness, anxiety and a myriad of other issues can just make everything seem unattainable at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You'd think that, but my girlfriend somehow loves me. And me her, neither of us are infallible.

And did you tell her what you were going through from the beginning?

Yes. I was always very open about it because I didn't want to be with someone who wouldn't deal with it.

Not to be deceitful but wouldn't that scare people away? Yeah if things were getting serious of course tell then. To queer the deal so to speak.

Not to be deceitful but wouldn't that scare people away? Yeah if things were getting serious of course tell then. To queer the deal so to speak.

If they're scared away do you really want to be with them?

My wife's attitude was: Once I was getting help, doing what I was advised to do and taking my meds then she was happy to be with me. What she wouldn't have put up with was if I was refusing to get treatment etc.

I met my girlfriend through a self harm group. Which we both stopped going to it cos it was rubbish. So :p

• Advertisement

That's a fair point actually. What I'm getting at is that most people wouldn't be as understand as your wife - they'd drop you as soon as they found out.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    I met my girlfriend through a self harm group. Which we both stopped going to it cos it was rubbish. So :p

Is it wrong that I'd actually like to meet someone who's experienced depression herself? Like she'd totally understand as opposed to just paying lip service.

I don't think its wrong to want that. I think if I had a girlfriend who wasn't... like me, we wouldn't have been together nearly 5 years. She and I totally... understand it. So we know how to support each other. And she is the reason, I will never kill myself. Not ever. Cos I love her so much,

My wife's attitude was: Once I was getting help, doing what I was advised to do and taking my meds then she was happy to be with me. What she wouldn't have put up with was if I was refusing to get treatment etc.

Yeah you're right there. I think it's a worry that a lot of depressed people have that the minute we tell some-one they'll run for the hills. But maybe they won't...

Would you date someone who was depressed Midlandsmissus?

Gah, been cooking all day to keep my mind from being idle to keep bad thoughts away and to practice mindfulness (i.e. living in the moment not in my head). So, um it's 1am and I'm cooking tomorrow's dinner...

At least it's bean based so it'll benefit from a day resting in the fridge.

Would you date someone who was depressed Midlandsmissus?

Yeah I would. :) If you loved some-one you wouldn't mind. Cool to think of it that way, thanks.

If you loved some-one you wouldn't mind.

That's true I suppose.

Another long night with no sleep. Bleh. Mood improved some bit though thankfully. Still low and thinking about self harm and such but able to resist the urges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Gah, been cooking all day to keep my mind from being idle to keep bad thoughts away and to practice mindfulness (i.e. living in the moment not in my head). So, um it's 1am and I'm cooking tomorrow's dinner...

At least it's bean based so it'll benefit from a day resting in the fridge.
    First night in a a while I haven't slept, really hope it's not going to turn into a regular thing. That sounds awful Neaf, up that late cooking, at least though you're doing something positive with your time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Yeah you're right there. I think it's a worry that a lot of depressed people have that the minute we tell some-one they'll run for the hills. But maybe they won't...

My last ex said he didn't have a problem with it. I was honest with him about it from the start and he acted like he was fine with it all, and that he'd be there for me if I needed it, blah blah blah......Then, after one single incident of me not having a good night, he decides to dump me a few days before my birthday. "I don't love you anymore 'cause you're too negative" was the response I got. Charming. :rolleyes: The breakup itself didn't really hurt (tbh, I never really loved him the same way he loved me, even though I was beginning to feel it just as it suddenly ended) but the timing was a massive kick in the teeth. The year before, I had got dumped the night before my birthday, and I shared this with him because I trusted him. He swore he'd never do anything like that. Lying ****er. :rolleyes: The thing that pissed me off most was that he didn't even give me my birthday present; after we broke up, he returned it to the shop rather than letting me have it. I mean what kind of cheap asshole does that?
    jammstarr wrote:
    Is it wrong that I'd actually like to meet someone who's experienced depression herself? Like she'd totally understand as opposed to just paying lip service

It's not wrong at all, it's totally understandable. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that you still won't get hurt. You might imagine it to be easier being with someone who's also depressed, it's not always the case unfortunately.

My first ex (the one who dumped me the night before my birthday and who, unlike the second ex, I happened to be head over heels in love with) had his own issues with depression. Throughout our relationship, he was doing worse than I was so I tried my best to be there for him as much as I could, even though we lived fairly far apart. When the tide turned, and he began to feel better while I began to feel worse, he dumped me because he thought we were too "emotionally dependent." So basically it was fine for him to turn to me every time he was having trouble, but when I needed the same in return it was suddenly out of line! (There was the whole distance thing too, which was a perfectly valid reason for ending a relationship. But the "emotionally dependent" part stuck in my mind; it made me feel guilty just for trying my best to be supportive.)

Anyway, the result of all this lovelife disaster has left me afraid to even go out with anyone anymore. I don't want to be the person who keeps getting dumped for things that are out of my control. And I don't enjoy my birthday anymore either; two years in a row is just hell. :( I guess 'cause I'm still only 22 it's too early for me to be worrying about being alone. But I just can't trust anyone now.

I know this isn't PI, but the above experiences have really hindered me in trying to get over being depressed. I was sick recently and allowed my mind to wander while I was feeling down. Dwelling too much on the past always makes me feel so empty and lonely, so I try not to do it too much. But when I'm sick, and my body feels crap, my mind insists on feeling the same. It sucks so much. :(

I'm sorry for this mini-essay; wrote a similar piece in AH last night 'cause I felt so crap about myself. Worse than I've felt for a few months. Overall, 2012 has been pretty good to me so far. I shouldn't be feeling so down right now. I mean, I woke this morning in great form for some inexplicable reason! But as the day went on, that quickly wore down and now I'm left feeling closer to how I was last night.

Again, sorry for talking so much. I'll shut up now. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement