Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The whole point of this thread iis about using yiur own router connected to the epc ...so i dont see where this thing abiut using multiple public ip's comes in...yiu will still only be using one.
    It came about because if you forget to disable the wireless on the bridged router, then any clients that, accidentally or otherwise, connect to it will get public IP's and not be protected by any firewall or NAT functionality, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Alun wrote: »
    It came about because if you forget to disable the wireless on the bridged router, then any clients that, accidentally or otherwise, connect to it will get public IP's and not be protected by any firewall or NAT functionality, that's all.

ah yes , I was under the impression that If you put it into bridge mode that the wireless would automatically be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Thanks DECEiFER works great :)

Thank you so much DECEiFER..

Well done, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cmd105

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to setup a bridge connection between my 2 routers and share the internet connection but i'm getting a few problems along the way.

My Routers:
    CISCO EPC3925
    Netgear DGN3300V2

I done the steps described by DECEiFER and everything went fine.
    Switched to bridge mode , rebooted and next time i try to log in i get this:
    epc3925bridge5.png

I'm guessin that part is fine..

On my NetGear router i switched all the boxes to dynamic (pic below) pretty much so it can get the config from the CISCO router and to get internet connection on my NetGear since it is a N Router and much better than the Cisco one.
    i2ixqw.png

I have both routers connected by an ethernet cable on the port1 in them both.

The problem is that i'm getting no connection to the internet, if i try to repair the connection gives me an error that could not establish a connection with the DNS.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

cmd105 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm trying to setup a bridge connection between my 2 routers and share the internet connection but i'm getting a few problems along the way.

My Routers:
    CISCO EPC3925
    Netgear DGN3300V2

I done the steps described by DECEiFER and everything went fine.
    Switched to bridge mode , rebooted and next time i try to log in i get this:
    epc3925bridge5.png

I'm guessin that part is fine..

On my NetGear router i switched all the boxes to dynamic (pic below) pretty much so it can get the config from the CISCO router and to get internet connection on my NetGear since it is a N Router and much better than the Cisco one.
    i2ixqw.png

I have both routers connected by an ethernet cable on the port1 in them both.

The problem is that i'm getting no connection to the internet, if i try to repair the connection gives me an error that could not establish a connection with the DNS.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Cheers
    That's an ADSL modem/router you got there. It probably won't work, sadly. :(

So, I think you'll need a proper standalone router for this to work for you. Until then you're most-likely stuck with the EPC3925 in Router mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cmd105

damn..is there any way i could make it work?
    I have my netgear connected to a media center with some movies and stuff, but everytime i need to access the media center need to connect to the wireless of the netgear, and when i want internet need to connect to cisco..:S

To be honest with you, I'm not sure if there is a way to make it work on that particular model (I know my older DG843GT isn't able for it and some other Netgear models of that era that I had previously come across). So, I'm guessing it's a no (and I do stress the word guess), but if you want to be sure, I'd ask over on the Netgear support forum about your model specifically, or look into custom firmware to see if it unhides the existing functionality (if it exists).

If all that fails, then you'll have to splash out on a cable router (WNDR models in the same High Performance category as yours) and I think the WNDR3800 would be the best for all your needs. You can go for a cheaper model by all means, like the WNDR3400, which is more equivalent to your DGN3300v2 - but both are N600 routers while yours is a N300.

That's all the best advice I can give you. I wish it could be better news as the DGN3300v2 isn't a bad piece of equipment it seems like a waste now that you're using cable broadband instead of ADSL.

Hi all, just to let you know, Cabaal has done the edits I've asked for in the first post. The topic title has been tweaked slightly (for the better, I hope!) and the first post has been amended to remove all references to the phone service not working that were left behind in the last edit by accident and I have also included a new step in the guide - to disable all routing functions, with examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

DECEiFER, I was wondering if you could help me out seeing how great you have been for others in this thread, fair play to you.

I tried to set this up earlier but ended up having no internet access, similar to the Netgear poster above, it's my router isn't it?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Belkin-N-Wireless-ADSL-Modem-Router-stand-bundle-F5D8636-New-/120994470341?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item1c2bd519c5#ht_2758wt_906

That's what I'm working with. No use?

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    DECEiFER, I was wondering if you could help me out seeing how great you have been for others in this thread, fair play to you.

I tried to set this up earlier but ended up having no internet access, similar to the Netgear poster above, it's my router isn't it?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Belkin-N-Wireless-ADSL-Modem-Router-stand-bundle-F5D8636-New-/120994470341?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item1c2bd519c5#ht_2758wt_906

That's what I'm working with. No use?
    Hi Mikey,

It may be your router because it's an ADSL modem/router combo and only some manufacturers and models allow it to double-up as a standalone device. Most rely on the ADSL connectivity to get Internet access and won't get the WAN IP from any other modem or router. If you're sure that it isn't going to work, then what I've said is most likely going to be the issue.

In that case, I would definitely consider looking at some of the recommendations above, the WNDR3800 being a brilliant device at a reasonable enough price.

EDIT: Just to add, if €90-€120 is a bit much to spend, there are still very good cheaper alternatives from Netgear and other manufacturers. If you need recommendations, just reply back and ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

question for you all... i changed my 2 modems to run on bridged mode, and all was well for a while, but for the last few days i have been noticing speed issues... I am now wondering if its the briding mode, or my router... So, anyone noticing any issues?

Thanks.

None at all for me and I've been bridging for nearly 3 weeks straight.

Why don't you ping your router and your EPC (192.168.100.1) to see if you're getting the normal low latencies you're supposed to get? Anything above 2ms via wireless, I'd consider to be a problem. If you're wired to your router, 1ms should be the max, but again, 2ms is not going to have a noticeable detriment (it would need to be a bit higher than that for sure).

Have you tried doing a cold restart/reboot of both devices?

If nothing comes from those tests, you should go back to Router mode and DMZ your router's assigned IP in the EPC, just to test it out and see what's what?

Thanks DECEiFER. I will try it out and see whats going on.

Right DECEiFER I have another few questions for you.

I've never edited the html code of a website before. The simple instructions of "Copy and paste the code and apply the changes" go completely over my head. So I copy the new code, that's not a problem, and I'm in Opera so I hit CTRL + SHIFT + I and I can view the source code, what now? I can delete the existing html, but I don't know how to do anything else like where to paste the new code in or how to apply the changes when I do.

Sorry for the noobishness of my questions, just don't know what else to do really. Can't go on with this wifi range as it is, it's so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Got this done in 5 mins cheers DECEiFER. Airport Express now powering my home network :)

@Mikeyt When you remove the old code, scroll down to the bottom of the pastebin link click inside the raw data textfield, select all and copy.

From there you just paste into the field where you deleted the old code and click apply changes

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Right DECEiFER I have another few questions for you.

I've never edited the html code of a website before. The simple instructions of "Copy and paste the code and apply the changes" go completely over my head. So I copy the new code, that's not a problem, and I'm in Opera so I hit CTRL + SHIFT + I and I can view the source code, what now? I can delete the existing html, but I don't know how to do anything else like where to paste the new code in or how to apply the changes when I do.

Sorry for the noobishness of my questions, just don't know what else to do really. Can't go on with this wifi range as it is, it's so poor.
    No worries, you're half-way there but instead of Ctrl-Shift-I, hit Ctrl-U instead. Delete the HTML code from the Source from there and then you paste the new code into the same space (Ctrl-V or right-click > Paste), followed by hitting the Apply Changes button at the top of the window. Once done, the go back to the Management page tab and you should notice the change, being that a Working Mode drop-down box is added to the options on the page. Then select Bridged Only and hit the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page. The router should then reboot automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Wow I just found this thread - so it's now finally possible to use your own router with UPC :D

I'm currently using the awful 2425 on the 25mbit plan, never upgraded because I wanted to reserve the right to cancel at any time :) But I need full bridge mode for a VPN router soon. I was thinking of moving to Vodafone ADSL but their upstream is only 1 mbit (obviously, as it's ADSL).

Is there a way to make sure to get the 3925? Like getting the 150mbit plan or something, or is there a chance to get the Thompson even then? I don't want to upgrade and then get the thompson router and then get stuck on another contract for the year. I'd prefer the 100mbit plan anyway, the upstream is the same either way.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Just a quick question , What is the advantage of this compared to me just connecting my Play Max Wireless Router and using it's wireless ?

Wow I just found this thread - so it's now finally possible to use your own router with UPC :D

I'm currently using the awful 2425 on the 25mbit plan, never upgraded because I wanted to reserve the right to cancel at any time :) But I need full bridge mode for a VPN router soon. I was thinking of moving to Vodafone ADSL but their upstream is only 1 mbit (obviously, as it's ADSL).

Is there a way to make sure to get the 3925? Like getting the 150mbit plan or something, or is there a chance to get the Thompson even then? I don't want to upgrade and then get the thompson router and then get stuck on another contract for the year. I'd prefer the 100mbit plan anyway, the upstream is the same either way.
    Tell them your EPC2425 is practically non-functional in terms of the WiFi (say its range goes down to 1 bar and you're getting sloppy speeds of 4Mb or something if you move more than 2 meters away from the device), or make something else up, whatever it takes to get them to swap it out for you. You can bridge the EPC2425 at the cost of losing your phone service, unless they've upgraded the firmware to exclude the option? But the EPC3925 doesn't have any downsides that I've noticed and I've been bridged for nearly 3 weeks straight with a phone connected for over 2 of those weeks (prior to bridging I didn't even own a cordless phone).

While the Thompson can apparently be bridged by UPC via TFTP, it also breaks the phone service (so I hear). I think the using EPC3925 with a decent cable router is your best bet. But if they're not buying your story and won't swap it out, then maybe an upgrade will be necessary, but only go down that route if all else fails (if you're not satisfied with the answer you get from the first agent, you should call back and try again).

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote: »
    Just a quick question , What is the advantage of this compared to me just connecting my Play Max Wireless Router and using it's wireless ?
    Connecting it and DMZ'ing the IP in the EPC3925? The overall noticeable advantage is practically non-existent for regular use. The advantage mainly is taking the EPC3925's router completely out of the equation, rather than just letting traffic through it with DMZ, and that you'll only have one NAT hop before entering or leaving your LAN. Again, the difference will not yield a major performance increase (at least for me, when I used to DMZ my router, my performance pretty much the same as it is now; no complaints - I just like the idea of being able to change my IP address at will, which only bridging the EPC will enable you to do and the nerd inside me strives for the best possible connection, even if the difference isn't entirely noticeable to the naked eye for regular Internet usage).

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Connecting it and DMZ'ing the IP in the EPC3925? The overall noticeable advantage is practically non-existent for regular use. The advantage mainly is taking the EPC3925's router completely out of the equation, rather than just letting traffic through it with DMZ, and that you'll only have one NAT hop before entering or leaving your LAN. Again, the difference will not yield a major performance increase (at least for me, when I used to DMZ my router, my performance pretty much the same as it is now; no complaints - I just like the idea of being able to change my IP address at will, which only bridging the EPC will enable you to do and the nerd inside me strives for the best possible connection, even if the difference isn't entirely noticeable to the naked eye for regular Internet usage).

Thanks for that !

sharkman wrote: »
    Thanks for that !
    No problem. Just keep in mind that the EPC's router is a load of crap and its WiFi is sub-par. Even if you're using the DMZ method, it would be wise to disable the EPC's DHCP server and Wireless and have all your computers and devices go through your standalone router, if you're not already doing it like that.

If you're looking for an opinion, however, I do recommend bridging the router over the DMZ faux bridge method, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it myself - at worst you'll gain no advantage. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

DECEiFER wrote: »
    While the Thompson can apparently be bridged by UPC via TFTP, it also breaks the phone service (so I hear). I think the using EPC3925 with a decent cable router is your best bet. But if they're not buying your story and won't swap it out, then maybe an upgrade will be necessary, but only go down that route if all else fails (if you're not satisfied with the answer you get from the first agent, you should call back and try again).

Thanks, I could try that.. But I understood the EPC2425's bridge mode isn't a full bridge mode anyway, only DMZ (which won't do for an L2TP vpn server because it uses GRE instead of TCP/UDP over IP). Besides that, the thing seems to spontaneously reset itself to factory defaults every 2 weeks or so, so I've given up on even changing my wifi password to an actually secure one every time it happens. They wouldn't replace a 2425 for a 3925 would they? I'd guess they have plenty of the 2425's lying around and it's fast enough for my plan.

Your solution (and kudos for finding it!!) sounds pretty ideal for my situation. I would actually consider upgrading (I'd love to have the 100/10 plan anyway). But I'd have to be sure I'd get the right modem. I suppose I could ask their sales people but a colleage tried that once to get the old scientific atlanta and it took him about 20 calls to get what was promised to him.

I was indeed going to use a very good cable router (of > 200 euro), I always use the Draytek Vigor ones because they work so well with the VPN features on my phone and laptop. And they offer a bandwidth counter over SNMP which I always use to keep my bandwidth usage in check.

Thanks, I could try that.. But I understood the EPC2425's bridge mode isn't a full bridge mode anyway, only DMZ (which won't do for an L2TP vpn server because it uses GRE instead of TCP/UDP over IP). Besides that, the thing seems to spontaneously reset itself to factory defaults every 2 weeks or so, so I've given up on even changing my wifi password to an actually secure one every time it happens. They wouldn't replace a 2425 for a 3925 would they? I'd guess they have plenty of the 2425's lying around and it's fast enough for my plan.
    Well there you go, you've genuinely got a faulty device! It's always worth a try, several posters in various UPC-related topics on the forum recently have had their faulty devices swapped out, even for reasons like poor WiFi speeds.
    Your solution (and kudos for finding it!!) sounds pretty ideal for my situation. I would actually consider upgrading (I'd love to have the 100/10 plan anyway). But I'd have to be sure I'd get the right modem. I suppose I could ask their sales people but a colleage tried that once to get the old scientific atlanta and it took him about 20 calls to get what was promised to him.
    The Thompson and EPC3925 devices are both EuroDOCSIS 3.0 devices. Your EPC2425 is a DOCSIS 2.0 device, which wouldn't be any good above 25Mb/s (hell, my parents' modem is the Scientific Atlanta, which is also DOCSIS 2.0 and they don't even get the full 25Mb/s that they're supposed to be getting).

However, I thought the EPC2425 could actually be switched to true bridge mode? Again, maybe this was in the past prior to a firmware update? If so, it's possible that the EPC2425 could be tweaked in a similar manner to the EPC3925, only the web interfaces for both models are quite different and the HTML code/POST data could be different enough that even the code snippet I've provided would be completely irrelevant. If I had a EPC2425, I'd be able to look into it, but sadly I don't.
    I was indeed going to use a very good cable router (of > 200 euro), I always use the Draytek Vigor ones because they work so well with the VPN features on my phone and laptop. And they offer a bandwidth counter over SNMP which I always use to keep my bandwidth usage in check.
    Excellent choice and since you're going above and beyond regular Internet usage with using a VPN and SNMP, bridge mode will definitely work to your advantage.

thanks DECEiFER. I have found out it was my firewall at fault here... fixed it and all seems good now!

Thanks again!

lotas wrote: »
    thanks DECEiFER. I have found out it was my firewall at fault here... fixed it and all seems good now!

Thanks again!
    Excellent. Glad it's all working for you again.

Well...

I'm sorted! :D

Yeah turns out I was just viewing the source code info with rather than editing it, tried it the correct way and got it to change no bother. I spent about 45 mins then trying to get into the router home page of my Belkin router and couldn't figure out why I couldn't, until I remembered I had already configured it for bridging a few days ago when I tried ED E's guide... So I just connected them up, restarted everything and boom! It's all working fine.

Now I have gone from the absolutely hopeless range of the EPC3925 not getting access to anything more than 10 yards away to having my old Belkin router providing signal everywhere, even the garden.
    tumblr_m36mlktSrL1ru7ftzo1_400.gif

Can't thank you enough DECEiFER for all the help.

Ok, another problem. Things aren't as rosey as when I went to bed last night. It seems adding a number of devices to the network has meant a my laptop, which I set the network up on, can't obtain an IP address. Neither could my PS3 or my Xbox when I tried them. At any given time I could need my laptop, the brother's laptop, my father's laptop and maybe a console or smart phone connected, has disabling the DCHP made this impossible? Is there any way to get them all online?

• Advertisement

Whoa now, wait one second! You disabled DHCP in the EPC3925, right? You don't disable DHCP in the router you're bridging with the EPC3925. You will definitely need it for connecting devices up, unless you manually configure a static IP for each device inside its OS! So you've bridged the EPC3925 with another router, making the EPC3925 nothing more than a modem. Your router will need to take over all routing that the EPC3925 did in the past from DHCP to all your port forwards (if any) / UPnP, etc.

Advertisement