Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Of course, he's one of the machines. Sure in Mindhunter he behaves like an actual robot. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Toby Onwumere (Van Damn in Season 2 of Sense8) on board:

‘The Matrix 4’: ‘Sense8’ & ‘Empire’ Actor Toby Onwumere Joins Sequel
    https://deadline.com/2019/12/matrix-4-toby-onwumere-warner-bros-sequel-1202805820/

New Dozer maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

As much as there is to look forward to about the Matrix 4, does anybody else feel slightly put off at the thought of going to see it without Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith? Maybe the film will win me over at some stage, but overall it would just feel weird and unusual having a different actor playing such a key role.

https://justviralnews.com/matrix-4-hugo-weaving-not-returning-as-agent-smith/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Read about - apparently Weaving tried (in vain) to make his schedule work but was pre-committed to the existing project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cuchullain99

The Matrix was one of my favourite movies of all time and Matrix 3 was one of my biggest disappointments of all time.. so not holding my breath for the 4th, no matter who's in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's only ever been 1 Matrix movie made, there might be a couple of other movies with a similar name with numbers but they aren't anything to do with the almost perfect movie that was The Matrix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Clareman wrote: »
    There's only ever been 1 Matrix movie made, there might be a couple of other movies with a similar name with numbers but they aren't anything to do with the almost perfect movie that was The Matrix

matrix_revisited.png

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

There can be only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Ignorant+orange+amazing+mole_9fd6e8_7500035.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If they just put the best scenes from the second and third movie they'd have an okay movie, still terrible though in comparison to the first.

I can't believe Hugo can't cancel the play, the money he'd make, who cares about integrity.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the sequels, can't understand the negative reviews on them, but each to their own i guess.

Looking forward to the 4th instalment, pity it took so long to make this, maybe a CGI or machine agent smith (Hugo doing a voice over or something?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gavin1986

I think it’ll be interesting to see. As I heard Matrix 4 will be the kick-starting of a new trilogy. However, it is an ambiguous movie, it could become whether a great beginning or a great failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So Keanu in the beanie hat is a scene in the movie?
    Am telling you, they are rehashing the same as the original. Of sorts.
    Him not realising he is "in the matrix" and having to be pulled out of it. But this time not realising who he was and what he actually did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I just can't get excited for this. Would've preferred a non-Wachowski movie without characters who died in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

So Keanu in the beanie hat is a scene in the movie?
    Am telling you, they are rehashing the same as the original. Of sorts.
    Him not realising he is "in the matrix" and having to be pulled out of it. But this time not realising who he was and what he actually did before.

That happened in the first one; he'd already been the one a couple of times at that stage.

Should just tie it in to the John Wick movies somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I can't even remember what happened by the end of those sequels.

Neo and/or Trinity died?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Goodshape wrote: »

Neo and/or Trinity died?

Trinity died and Neo also died? he did a jesus anyway from memory and the machines took his body.

Come to think of it,since they took his body, it'd be great if he was the "Agent Smith" of the sequel against a new Neo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Neo and/or Trinity died?

What sequels?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Neo and/or Trinity died?

Trinity died reaching the Machine City in the real world. Neo fought Agent Smith but let Smith take over his body, but then the machines unplugged Neo's body, killing all the Agent Smiths in the process and resetting the Matrix back to normal.

More than anything, I'm grateful to the sequels (The Matrix Reloaded in particular) because it led to this:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My guess is that Trinity will be some kind of AI, or lingering imprint of a consciousness on The Matrix. Not like there wasn't always an element of spiritualism in the franchise, wouldn't be a stretch to graduate to actual "digital" ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Maybe the original Matrix contained a sub-Matrix that Neo etc thought was the real world... but they were still in a Matrix.

This movie would be about getting him out of THAT matrix. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Matrix Reloaded was on Now TV last night and good god...

I only caught about 15 mins but managed to see:
    • a really boring scene with a new character who no-one remembers (the actor was in Lost, I think) speaking to his wife. This was about 4-5 mins.
    • Morpheus' terrible speech in Zion
    • THAT rave scene (way longer than you remember it being)
    • some old guy talking to Neo about how it's strange that Zion uses machines. YES it is. In fact, it kinda should'nt have been part of the storyline.

I feel like - as was done with the Terminator movies - you make a sequel that ignores the existence of the other sequels and give that a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I always got the impression The Matrix 1 was crafted with the idea of it being a self-contained story of sorts. The movie ends with Neo calling the machines and saying that he will show people "a world where anything is possible" .... while on screen the machines are trying to run a trace and the system fails. Showing that Neo, as Morpheus said eariler in the movie, has the abilty to re-write the matrix now then neo flies off :pac:

So the movie was about finding the one.
    The one finding and realising his powers.
    Ends with the one saying how things are gonna change then displays his power.

Obviously a sequel could still have been made but what we got did feel a shift in gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Zion rave scene and Tobey Maguire's cocky strut after venom latches on to him in Spiderman 3 are two scenes I have to look away from any time I'm watching the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The Zion rave scene and Tobey Maguire's cocky strut after venom latches on to him in Spiderman 3 are two scenes I have to look away from any time I'm watching the movie.

Pure cringe. Hold the cushion up to your face moment.
    This new film will be even worse than Reloaded and Revisited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

pixelburp wrote: »
    My guess is that Trinity will be some kind of AI, or lingering imprint of a consciousness on The Matrix. Not like there wasn't always an element of spiritualism in the franchise, wouldn't be a stretch to graduate to actual "digital" ghosts.

Iirc the online game was hinting in exactly this direction, but was shut down before paying off on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a common interpretation of the first Matrix movie as being one large metaphor for Coming Out, or Transitioning - a theory that was borne out by both Wachowskis themselves transitioning in real life. It's actually quite blatant and obvious once you take in scenes & dialogue with that point of view. The film is essentially about discovering your true, 'real' self, despite what societal norms try to force on you.

Mind you, that same film also has support and interpretations by gun fetishists, the far right & white supremacist groups, so it's not often those disparate grouping find a common totem. And like a lot of these things it's down to the audience's interpretations (though again, it was born out by the creators' experiences)

Going by the presence of Anne-Moss, there's obviously got to be some kind of twist going on here; can I speak to her character's fate without spoilers? The first film is 20 years old at this stage!

Replying to my own old post :rolleyes: because Lily Wachowski, in an interview yesterday, confirmed this theory: The Matrix was indeed written as a metaphor for coming out and transitioning. Not like the siblings' own story wasn't clue enough on-top of the script's apparent subtext, but it's finally(?) confirmed by one of them. Maybe it's a case of "well, d'uh" but always find it interesting to read of authors' interpretations matching the audiences - Death of the Author n' all that.

Interesting side story to learn that Switch was originally meant to actually be trans - being male in the real world & female in the Matrix - hadn't known that. Aside from being different times, it probably would have made the subtext a little too blunt were it included. One wonders if that theme will persist into the new film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Interesting side story to learn that Switch was originally meant to actually be trans - being male in the real world & female in the Matrix - hadn't known that. Aside from being different times, it probably would have made the subtext a little too blunt were it included. One wonders if that theme will persist into the new film.
    I always got the impression she was meant to look kind of androgynous, so that rings true.

I think the fact that they had to keep the theme subtle was to their advantage. It wound up resonating with more general feelings of alienation and isolation that lots of people feel for many different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This actually got it's release date moved up from April 2022 to December 2021.

Advertisement