Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gbear wrote: »
    The only thing I'd say about "overratedness" is that the Dark Night as a film is probably overrated as a film because of how good Ledger is in it. The bits without him are mostly so-so, and I don't think the ending, after Rachel's death, does it justice.

Exit stage left please, actually could you exit right

Official poster...

YAxEKNa.jpg?1

I like it.

There's also a teaser trailer due in the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, that looked exactly like I hoped it might; a gritty, 70s era thriller; Phillips had said he wanted to make a peak-Scorcese crime epic, and he may just have pulled it off. I'm impressed and this has suddenly shot up the queue of DC/Marvel material I'm looking out for.

And it looks like it might be pulling a reverse 'King of Comedy' with the inclusion of DeNiro...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Trailer doesn't disappoint. A good start.

• Advertisement

We've been burned before but this does look good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wow, that looks so good.

Completely different kind of comicbook movie, definitely for adults I presume as it doesn’t look lollipop marvel light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wow, that looks so good.

Completely different kind of comicbook movie, definitely for adults I presume as it doesn’t look lollipop marvel light.

It also doesn't appear to look angsty-dark either, playing it straight and tragic as opposed to that superficial grimdark you got with Synder's DC films.

For those looking for a more HD version, it's on YouTube now too:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Looks great! Taxi Driver type vibe from it, looking forward to seeing it

pixelburp wrote: »
    It also doesn't appear to look angsty-dark either, playing it straight and tragic as opposed to that superficial grimdark you got with Synder's DC films.

Snyder really is marmite to movie goers. I really enjoyed his DC movies (MOS & BvS) and movies in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brevity

It feels like it’s touching on every type of Joker we’ve seen.

Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

tenor.gif?itemid=7808508

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

When I heard Joaquin Phoenix was attached to this, I kind of felt there must be something about it. Doesn't seem like a role he would take on lightly. The trailer looks very intersting. Serious Taxi Driver vibes. Looks like more of a character study than anything else? I'm interested to see the finished product.

From the mind that bought you...

ROAD TRIP

El Duda wrote: »

ROAD TRIP

Easy tiger 😱 some of his comedies are good

I'm telling myself Christopher Nolan is in the shadows somewhere

I actually love Road Trip tbf :D

Hangover 1 was good

Hangover 2... hmmm

Hangover 3.. dear god no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I wonder are they the steps where parts of the exorcist were shot?looks like it.
    Trailer looks ok.

edit: nope shot in a completely different state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wow, that looked exactly like I hoped it might; a gritty, 70s era thriller; Phillips had said he wanted to make a peak-Scorcese crime epic, and he may just have pulled it off. I'm impressed and this has suddenly shot up the queue of DC/Marvel material I'm looking out for.

And it looks like it might be pulling a reverse 'King of Comedy' with the inclusion of DeNiro...
    could we not just watch a Scorcese film? I ask of Philips

Taxi driver is mentioned on the wiki page

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I am intrigued by this trailer.

I'd have to echo the idea it's got a more Taxi Driver vibe to it. I presume this will get progressively darker as the movie goes on to show how the madness develops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Didn’t hear about this until yesterday. First opinion : it’s been done. Second option after trailer - wow.

ROAD TRIP

When I think of Todd Phillips and that movie I keep seeing him on the coach trying to suck your ones foot!
    peteeeed wrote: »
    Easy tiger 😱 some of his comedies are good

I'm telling myself Christopher Nolan is in the shadows somewhere

Funny thing is that Chris Nolan hadnt done much before Batman. I am hoping Phillips take is as equally surprising.

Watched Nolan's Batman trilogy a few months ago, I am not sure that level of quality will be surpassed for sometime.

could we not just watch a Scorcese film? I ask of Philips

Nothing's stopping you? Plenty of movies - good, great and bad - take inspiration from other sources and it's laudable that at least some 'superhero' films are being allowed the leg room to explore different styles and approaches. Nothing wrong with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Didn't realise the director had such a eclectic back-catalogue.

I love the Hangover II. :P

No reason he can't change his leanings.

ROAD TRIP

Yikes :( Edit: Wait...I got confused with that Euro Trip bullshít. Road Trip...I actually loved that at the time. I haven't seen it in well over 10 years, but it was very popular and of its time, same as the early American Pie movies. While popularity isn't a measure of quality, I wouldn't consider Road Trip a stinker. There's hit and miss moments in that movie and it does what it says on the tin - It is actually a decent road trip comedy. /edit

He directed and co-wrote Old School, one of my favourite comedies.

It is very hard to gauge from Phillips' back-catalogue just how good or bad this movie could be. We could use examples from previous movies to opine that this will be great, and examples to opine that it could be poor.

It's more the involvement of Pheonix which had me optimistic at first, but since then the official promo media is adding to that optimism. This could turn out to be one of the better ones of Phillip's filmography.

Either way, this has my attention and my money next October. I didn't think I'd be saying that about a DC movie for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This first trailer for Joker is excellent. I would love to see more of this in the cinema as more trailers are released. Good move here DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

On second viewing, that music is just perfect in the trailer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yes, yes on loop for a while I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well my expectations have gone from zilch to quite high on the basis of that trailer alone.
    It's like Scorsese meets Terry Gilliam.
    I'm still baffled by DC's insistence on making villain's origin stories before their hero's and the generally disjointed state of the DCEU but this at least looks like a film with the potential to stand on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Genuinely excited for this. The trailer has done exactly what a trailer should do ....... tease.

Really high hopes for this. :)

Advertisement