Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

• 27-07-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Don't see a thread (delete or merge if there is one)

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

How will The Rise of Skywalker do at the box office? 72 votes

Surprise hit higher gross than The Last Jedi
    0%
    Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    41%
    astrofoolStarkGristlyEndFractureFGRMickerooDadeschrisladFuzzy_DunlopmikhailGreyfoxxtal191DvBwilfordSK1979irishashDeeper Bluepasta-solofryupbennyl10 30 votes
    Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    31%
    Goodshapedavr[Deleted User]spacecoyotePaddy@CIRLRed5Kirbysandleman1979Hande hoche!robfowler78nthclarerecyclopsLionbackeralchemist33blue noteAndy Gravityelfy4evalapua20grainBrock TurnpikeGladcon 23 votes
    Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    26%
    VenomSlydiceTheboinkmasterSkerriesPWEIziedthmathiehomerun_homerhorgan_pChris_HeilongMr FreezeMuppet Manbucketybuck1800_LadladladBojillCinemaGuy45[Deleted User]MOR316Dublingowl 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

All about dat Lando

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are full of it. This is basically CGI Leia confirmed. The only other unseen footage of Leia from TFA that I'm aware of is Maz handing Luke's lightsaber to Leia. Even if they take the close-ups from that scene and that's the only scene she appears in, there will still be some serious CGI involved. Of course, they'll just lie and claim it was all from this mysterious unseen footage.

Abrams is going to screw this up. What was so hard about *scrolling text* "Star Wars: Episode 9..... General Leia has died...."?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the use of the term "CGI character" is loaded; to me that'd imply something like Tarkin - or indeed the younger Leia in Rogue One - a fully digital actor, whereas I'd say they're going to reuse actual footage, embellished with CGI (maybe overdubbing ala Forest Gump) which could look just as bad.

Agree on the missed opportunity to just open with a punchy "General Leia has died..." they're gilding the lily here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The shround of the thread discontent has fallen.

Begun the Episode IX discussion has!

:D

ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6aD-m7Cw84

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Slydice wrote: »
    The shround of the thread discontent has fallen.

Begun the Episode IX discussion has!

:D

ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6aD-m7Cw84

I predict there will be plenty of respectful conversations with people calmly discussing the direction Disney are taking the franchise....

Vjf0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    I thought that Leia wouldn't be shown, out of respect to Carrie Fisher's family and her memory

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

branie2 wrote: »
    I thought that Leia wouldn't be shown, out of respect to Carrie Fisher's family and her memory

Kennedy was quite definitive about that, but I guess JJ felt otherwise.

It seems there was probably more unreleased TFA deleted scenes featuring Leia than I thought. In addition to Maz giving her the lightsaber, there was also a brief conversation between Leia and Rey at the end and possibly a speech after Starkiller's destruction. Quite a lot for them to work with, but it will obviously involve a lot of CGI augmentation. Hopefully it won't be awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My first thought reading the announcement:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It worked in the Sopranos, can hardly notice it :D

^ That's even worse than I remember it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was absolutely baffled when I watched that back in the day, it was super shoddy even at the time.

It’s like those ****ty social media videos when a photo of someone’s face is put on a different video clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Personally, I don't think Leia dying off screen and announcing it in the scroll meets the satisfactory threshold, she's too central a character to be treated that way. Presumably they will put in a minimal number of Leia scenes in order to tie off her story in whatever they regard as appropriate.

I would say its a comparable scenario to that faced by Ridley Scott when Oliver Reed snuffed it half way through filming Gladiator. Reuse of already shot scenes, overdubbing and stand-ins got them out of that fix without going full cgi (which would not have been up to the job anyway in 2000). Yes, you can see the joins. You always will no matter how clever the tricks uses - you know the actor is dead. Scott, by necessity, used the Reed character as little as possible in the remaining scenes. Hopefully, JJ will take the same attitude - though I am not sure if less-is-more is his or Disney's mantra.

I am far more concerned about how JJ is going to resurrect a coherent storyline following Last Jedi. But, hey, Lando is back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Holy god who made that Sopranos CGI and thought "yup, good enough!" Love the way the lightning kept changing from what I presume was the various footage used.

Gladiator worked because Reed was alive for most of the film. By the time his character dies you don't care whether it looks right or not. It's like the xenomorph suddenly turning into a very obvious man in a suit at the end of Alien. It's dead at that point and the movie is over so you don't care. I also think they get away with CGI Leia in Rogue One for this reason. But with Episode 9, everyone knows Fisher didn't live to shoot any scenes for the film and will be looking for the seams. If they are smart they'll get around this by only having her in the end of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I suspect it'll be fine tbh. They've probably got a little bit more of a budget to work with than The Sopranos had 10+ years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I don't think I can form an opinion about the Fisher footage until I see it in the film. But for it to work within the film, they need to either based the plot around some of her existing dialog or for that dialog to be some vague general stuff about the force, dark / light, etc...

Everyone can agree that Leia dying offscreen is not ideal but nothing is ideal about this situation. But everyone knows what happened so nobody would argue with a title crawl explanation or mentioned in dialog as the film makers were backed into a corner. However, existing footage incorporated badly could be risky.

Without knowing what that unseen footage is, my best guess is that she boards a ship and that ship will be attacked and destroyed by the first order prompting the rest of the plot. If that attack is a sudden and swift one, they don't even need a shot of Leia in the ship. Just the ship taking off and then exploding.

We'll see.

If they are going to bring her back using CGI and deleted scenes, I certainly hope it isn't just to kill her off.

The post-Starkiller speech (if it exists) and her conversation with Rey could be used at the start of the film, while the footage of Maz handing her the lightsaber could be used very effectively at the end of the film. There's also the short deleted scenes from the Blu-ray, which she's quite good in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Goodshape wrote: »
    I suspect it'll be fine tbh. They've probably got a little bit more of a budget to work with than The Sopranos had 10+ years ago.

Like they did with Rogue One?! Looked atrocious TBH so I wouldn't assume it'll be OK.

The fact that they want to include her in the film as well as Lando isn't a good sign at all TBH :mad:

Has there yet been a single example of this sort of recycled footage, or fully CGI character, that has worked? They nearly always come across as false and as Sad Professor mentioned, the fact we know Fisher sadly passed before production began we're all going to be subconsciously looking for the cracks the moment Leia walks on screen.

It just feels like inviting more backlash and pedantry from what's already the most toxic fan community on the internet as it is.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Has there yet been a single example of this sort of recycled footage, or fully CGI character, that has worked? They nearly always come across as false and as Sad Professor mentioned, the fact we know Fisher sadly passed before production began we're all going to be subconsciously looking for the cracks the moment Leia walks on screen.

It just feels like inviting more backlash and pedantry from what's already the most toxic fan community on the internet as it is.

It's just a stupid thing to do and smacks of pure arrogance. It's a situation that's impossible to win.

She'd dead, just leave her out of the film, note she dies in opening crawl and maybe even kick off the film with her funeral and move on. There are many ways you could do it effectively without her actually appearing on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

pixelburp wrote: »
    Has there yet been a single example of this sort of recycled footage.

Brandon Lee in The Crow is the one that immediately jumps out, but difference being he had already shot 70% of the script before he was killed. The CGI and recycled footage used was to fill in the blanks not construct entirely new scenes such as was hilarious displayed by resurrecting Tony Soprano's mother for one final scene.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine did a pretty good job of creating new(ish) scenes with old footage in Trials and Tribble-ations from 1996 – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trials_and_Tribble-ations

The scenes weren't drastically different but it was 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

When everyone knows this was to be Leia's movie, then if they have enough material to give her a proper send off, then fair enough. After over 40 years as one of the main characters, a sudden off screen exit would be more jarring. You can only presume they've already shown the family how they will do it and have got their blessing.

PS, I read somewhere, all the main actors had their faces scanned in 3D for future use, so maybe there'll be a combination of real and cgi footage.

Wedwood wrote: »
    got their blessing.

raining-cash1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't really have a problem with CGI Leah. Keep her screen time to a minimum, and only have here in the forefront of a few scenes. As said above, neither solution is ideal, but her character is pretty important to the series, so killing her off off screen wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Does anyone feel like that Lando is being shoehorned into the film due to the success of Lando in Solo ?

Kiith wrote: »
    so killing her off off screen wouldn't work.

Why not?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Does anyone feel like that Lando is being shoehorned into the film due to the success of Lando in Solo ?

What success? The lando I knew was a man's man. The one Howard directed was feminazis' man, designed by a committee of females who shop exclusively at 'women and women first'.

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »

whatever the reason it's a really bad idea.

Advertisement