Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Venom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Venom was probably my favourite comic book character as a kid but I was already probably not going to see it because I dislike Tom Hardy with his blue steel and unintelligible speech in films. With them reviews I'm happy to give this a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason, the visuals, colouring and picture reminds me of The Dark Tower, It smacks of something out of the 90s. kinda like a 90s jeans commercial. It was the same with The Equalizer 2, which I thought was done intentionally because that was the time period when the OG show was set. I just looked at the trailer for MRCs Mortal Engines, and again this wired 90s colour effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's what a lot of reviews are saying. It looks like a movie that came out in the 90s/00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Spoilery review year... and yep, I've lost total interest...

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20181003-film-review-venom

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Spoilery review year... and yep, I've lost total interest...

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20181003-film-review-venom

Sounds like a right pile of sh*te.

I was optimistic enough with it but I think I'll give that a skip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Just saw it

Ok film but not enough Venom in it for my liking. The end credit scene is crucial and certain sites are really spoiling it so beware

Tom Hardy was decent in it

A good bit of 'Women power' in it which we will see more of in next few superhero movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Don't know anything about Venom but like the majority of the MCU movies. Like Tom Hardy too, so I reckon I'll have a pretty open mind with this one and have zero expectations.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It was an ok movie on average, some good bits and a few meh-to-bad things.

The good: the early Venom/Brock action scenes were strong; for the most part the inner dialogue was done well and had a few very funny gags (which didn't feel out of place, always nice); it didn't overstay its welcome in terms of running time (Marvel's tendency toward a 2.5 hour running time can G right TFO as far as I'm concerned).

The not-so-good: the story is barely even there, most likely due to post production shenanigans; the villain of the piece is a cardboard Fake Elon Musk whose motives aren't explained in any depth, and the same is true of his crap henchman; there's too much time spent on the dull relationship between Eddie and Annie, and the narrative feels very fractured, not as bad as Suicide Squad but monkeyed around with in a similar way.

I didn't stick around for the post credits scene because ain't nobody got time for that nonsense :p

I reckon that a pretty good 10-15 minute short (like the Punisher "Dirty Laundry" short from a few years back) from this, but as a feature film it's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I really enjoyed it, I expected little which helped. Went with a friend who is an Uber comicbook fan (he understood the after credits reference) and he loved it.

I am not sure what all the hate is for , this was a bit of fun. Some people take this too seriously.

I would give it a solid 8/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Just saw it

Ok film but not enough Venom in it for my liking. The end credit scene is crucial and certain sites are really spoiling it so beware

Tom Hardy was decent in it

A good bit of 'Women power' in it which we will see more of in next few superhero movies

From reading around, the post credits scene was
    Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kasady teasing Carnage for a sequel

Fun bait for big Venom/symbiote fans though that might be, it's anything but crucial to my mind :) (But then, I loathe the constant hype train that surrounds superhero films so YMMV)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I actually watched the three episode venom arc from the 90's animated Spider-Man series last night. It was pretty enjoyable. That show moves at a lightning pace.

Those 90s superhero animated shows were really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it last night, hated it.

Hardy was shite in it and that's from someone who usually likes him in stuff. But it was just a terrible performance, almost nothing he said came across as his character being genuine and his accent grated.

As for the film itself, it just irritated me. So much of how the action is laid out results in you seeing much of what's coming next from a mile off. Went to the toilet at one point and that was the highlight for the two hours for me. Not in the auditorium, but it would have been fitting if I had. Woeful crap.

One of the most annoying things is that at the screening I was at, people seemed to really enjoy it. Breaking their holes laughing at the most cringe worthy scenes. If they were children I'd understand but adults doubled up laughing at this junk makes me fear for humanity.

At one point some dried ice emitted from below the screen (was at the 4DX screening) and I briefly thought Cineworld was on fire and we were all about to die.

No such luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

One of the most annoying things is that at the screening I was at, people seemed to really enjoy it. Breaking their holes laughing at the most cringe worthy scenes. If they were children I'd understand but adults doubled up laughing at this junk makes me fear for humanity.

Hold on - so one of your biggest issues with it was that people found stuff funny that you didn't? Why does that pi$$ you off so much? Fair enough you didn't like it - does that mean everybody needs to feel the same as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Largely I enjoyed it, but like others found it fairly rushed. Does anyone else think it might have suited better as a Defenders-style short series? Might have given it a chance to flesh the arc out a bit more, find out more about
    the other symbiotes
    , where they're from, what they can do, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

sonic85 wrote: »
    Why does that pi$$ you off so much?

Cause it means studios will keep making muck like this.

If I had my way everyone in attendance would be banned from ever going to the cinema again.

If I had my way everyone in attendance would be banned from ever going to the cinema again.

Ehn, we've all got different ideas of what films are muck. Getting annoyed at other people for having the temerity to not share your taste in films is a guaranteed way to spend a lot of time annoyed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Saw it today and thought it was an ok movie, but could have been better. I feel like it would have been a better movie if it was part of the MCU and had Kevin Feige as producer. I just don't have any faith in any company other than Disney to make marvel comic book movies. They could tie it in with Spider-Man that way.

Also, I noticed that the astronaut who brought the symbiote to earth and crashed landed had the last name Jameson. He was most likely J. Jonah Jameson's son, who is the editor in chief of the Daily Bugle where Peter Parker works. In the comics, his son is an astronaut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I just want Tom Hardy to get a role where he gets to have a normal voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The absolutely ****in stink of pretentious notions off your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Drumpot wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, I expected little which helped. Went with a friend who is an Uber comicbook fan (he understood the after credits reference) and he loved it.

I am not sure what all the hate is for , this was a bit of fun. Some people take this too seriously.

I would give it a solid 8/10.

sweet jesus we're all bollixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. Venom is my favourite marvel film but had low expectations because Sony but I was pleasantly surprised. Hardy's accent was annoying and there was some weak writing for the main characters but I really liked the convo's between Eddie and venom. Even though I'm more a fan of the serious/angry attitude, the humour was needed in this film I thought. I gave a few chuckles but some people thought it was hilarious.

Absolute highlight for me was the post credits scene.
    Woody could be to Kasady what Robert Downey Jr is to iron man. I hope they get the sequel made just to see Carnage in full effect.

I think Sony could pull off a Spidey in the next film like Batman cameo'd in the suicide squad. Definitely not the tom Holland version, a mid 20's seasoned Spidey could work but not sure if Sony would even have the right to do that. I'd love to see the 3 come up against each other.

Got a cool venom comic as well from Odeon which was a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Seen it tonight and had very low expectations because I thought the trailer was trash.

But it's not terrible. It's alright. 6/10. There was potential for a better film in there and it kinda feels like this should be a draft before they finalised the script.

The main story is there and is fine but the comedy is weak as and there was a good few scenes where they could have played it alot better.

The cgi end fight is all over the place but that's pretty standard at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I actually really enjoyed it was something completely different from the likes of the avengers. Wouldn't know a lot about venom but I've a 9 year old Marvel fanatic who was filling me in beforehand. During the film I was kinda thinking oh s**t is this suitable for him as parts of it we're a bit graphic but he really enjoyed it too. Not exactly Oscar worthy but a bit of enjoyable fun ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I just want Tom Hardy to get a role where he gets to have a normal voice.
    Seriously, the speech thing. Apologies for harping on about this but I can't understand half of what he's saying in films. What was Mad Max all about? Or his role in Lawless? It doesn't add to any mystique, it's just annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Agreed on the accents he sometimes undertakes but I actually liked what he did in Mad Max. Kind of suited the character that he could barely conjure the will to get thee words out.

See, I read these kinds of comments about Hardy and they mystify me. The only role Hardy's had where I had any issue understanding him was Bane - everything else seems fine to me, even his "welshman with a cold" accent in Locke wasn't an issue.

His accent in Venom wobbled a bit, but I can't think of any point where I didn't understand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thought his accent was perfectly fine in Venom can't get how people are making out he's mumbling at all , Mad Max I get but not this .

The one bit where he mumbled he was just after getting the symbiote and his body was having a hard time dealing with it , If you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Went to this with the lowest of the low expectations.
    And I actually enjoyed it more then I thought it was. I sat there thinking why all the absolute hate.
    Would I tell people not to see this no, not at all. Good Friday night switch off your brains comic book movie.

I’ve seen a lot worse comic book movies produced over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Really enjoyed it. Well worth going to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm glad that some comic book films don't have the Marvel/'Feige' gloss and template to them. I'm not saying it was a wonderful film but it was fine and enjoyable, and different from the MCU. I personally find Spider-Man a dull character in the MCU so I'm glad he was able to be kept out of this and let different type of roles play out rather than just hero-villain.

I find Hardy's voice fine for the most part, the only film that it's cropped up was The Revenant, some scenes his accent was a little gruff to hear certain words.

Advertisement