Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I use caffeine tablets for most of my workouts. I mean one tablet
    Totally peps me up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

If training in the morning before work i always have a monster or some pre workout to get me going. Im too sluggish if i dont and it without a doubt improves the quality of my workout. If training after work i dont generally take anything unless feeling fairly shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Honestly I drank so much coke as a kid caffeine literally has no effect on me. I've had 7 or 8 cups of coffee in one sitting (dutch people drink an enormous amount at lunch) and I felt nothing. I also drink it black and quite strong if that means anything.

Some of the guys I train with bring a can of red bull/energy drink every single session and it baffles me completely. Anything but water just feels a bit mad tbh.

I suppose at a competition people take it for placebo effect mainly, but I do not understand the craze at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you have a lower tolerance for caffeine then it will have some form of impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Signed up for my first comp of the year yesterday, Mullingar Open on the 3rd of June. Have a club comp two weeks after that and then another comp (Leinster Open) on the 29th of July.

Here we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Oh and good luck to everyone else in this thread with there upcoming comps! I may not understand your caffeine habits but fair play!

DylanJM wrote: »
    Oh and good luck to everyone else in this thread with there upcoming comps! I may not understand your caffeine habits but fair play!

Haha, I don't have a habit anyway. I have a go at the Red Bull in the day. It may not do anything...but caffeine is a stimulant so it might.

I don't take pre-workouts etc because I don't see the point in it for training.

Good luck in your comp. Good to see you back on the platform

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

best of luck to all competing !

Just my two cents on the whole Monster / Red Bull / Coffee stuff on the day in question. It is a long day .. be careful of the ups and downs. Do you really need a stimulant for your first lift of the day .. you should be fresh as a daisy, nervous and full of beans to get out there. It would only feel the need for a pick me up before the deadlifts as your energy levels would be at the end of the road by then

whippet wrote: »
    best of luck to all competing !

Just my two cents on the whole Monster / Red Bull / Coffee stuff on the day in question. It is a long day .. be careful of the ups and downs. Do you really need a stimulant for your first lift of the day .. you should be fresh as a daisy, nervous and full of beans to get out there. It would only feel the need for a pick me up before the deadlifts as your energy levels would be at the end of the road by then

I've been thinking about that myself alright. I'd probably sip a bit earlier and then just before deadlifts, inject straight into my balls.

Or something a bit more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

One more day of chicken rice and skinless sweet potatoe. I really want a pizza right about now. Damn I dono how bodybuilders used to do this stuff for months on end. I'm 5 days in and I want some damn variety.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    One more day of chicken rice and skinless sweet potatoe. I really want a pizza right about now. Damn I dono how bodybuilders used to do this stuff for months on end. I'm 5 days in and I want some damn variety.

Did you have to cut a little?

Did you have to cut a little?

Maintenance calories and low residue diet for the week. Just boring food pretty much. Was only about 1kg over.

Maintenance calories and low residue diet for the week. Just boring food pretty much. Was only about 1kg over.

Ah gotcha. Kinda hovering just around the mark all week so I'm the interest of not getting a surprise on the day, the excitement level at meal time hasn't been off the chart either

Ah gotcha. Kinda hovering just around the mark all week so I'm the interest of not getting a surprise on the day, the excitement level at meal time hasn't been off the chart either

The joys of being slightly over your class. I reckon I got maybe a year left in the 83's. Maybe less.

The joys of being slightly over your class. I reckon I got maybe a year left in the 83's. Maybe less.

Either way, the numbers on the board are likely to go up a lot more than your BW!

Actually, how TF did you lift in the 74s in Athlone?

Either way, the numbers on the board are likely to go up a lot more than your BW!

Actually, how TF did you lift in the 74s in Athlone?

Yeah that's the goal I suppose. Sure see how it goes. Gonna do a small cut after this comp for a month or so and go back to bulking mode.

Ahaha yeah that was awful. Weighted in at just under 72kg. My squat actually went up. Deads and bench where down though. Never cutting that low again. Not fun. Gained it all back in 3 or 4 months with a very decent bulk phase. That was pretty fun actually.

Yeah that's the goal I suppose. Sure see how it goes. Gonna do a small cut after this comp for a month or so and go back to bulking mode.

Ahaha yeah that was awful. Weighted in at just under 72kg. My squat actually went up. Deads and bench where down though. Never cutting that low again. Not fun. Gained it all back in 3 or 4 months with a very decent bulk phase. That was pretty fun actually.

Lad i know in the 93s would normally sit at about 83 but he just said he had no interest in going out of his way to stay just under 83 cos he had a better chance of getting bigger numbers being bigger. So he's going in about 85/86.

Jesus though...considering you think you'd struggle to stay in the 83s much longer, to get down to 74s is kind of pretty impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Best of luck everyone! I won't be down myself but it sounds like it's gonna be a great one so I'm kinda devo to be missing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why no skins on the sweet potato?

Is this the missing piece in my cut?
    I'm currently trying to get back down to 73kg (from 77kg). 12 days in and I'm 2kg down. Struggling to progress my lifts at the same time

Mellor wrote: »

Is this the missing piece in my cut?
    I'm currently trying to get back down to 73kg (from 77kg). 12 days in and I'm 2kg down. Struggling to progress my lifts at the same time

I'm guessing its to reduce fibre from the potato and help drop a little weight without having to drop calories.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:

Mellor wrote:
    Is this the missing piece in my cut? I'm currently trying to get back down to 73kg (from 77kg). 12 days in and I'm 2kg down. Struggling to progress my lifts at the same time

I know this one cool trick!

Ha na it's pretty much what Alf said. Less material there to slow down digestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I haven't seen it mentioned before, your man from the Sigma Nutrition podcast has a powerlifting podcast called Sigma Powerlifting. Worth a listen for people in this thread I'd imagine!

Best of luck to everyone competing over the weekend!

Hotel seems to be full of lifters according to reception. A function of having a meet in the middle of nowhere I guess :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The 57kg girls are lifting 120kg. Jaysus lads

Alf casually strolled in and picked up 200kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bluewolf wrote: »
    Alf casually strolled in and picked up 200kg

Keep us informed how things go if you can at all.

I actually left at that stage sorry! I was there for the benching and the first deadlifts and everyone was getting on well so headed off again
    I'm in the second morning flight tomorrow

Twas a horror show for me. Well, squat and bench were. Deadlift actually went alright.

Blacktie put up some BIG numbers.

Enjoyed the non-lifting part of it...the watching and the camaraderie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Enjoying the thread. I've a couple of questions RE cutting weight.

Firstly, why do it? If you regularly weigh 90kg, why try and lift at 85 or less? Is it purely to compete against similar opposition or, to try and give an advantage against others? From afar, it doesn't make sense if doing it for yourself.

Is there an optimal amount i.e. 10% cut? You want to cut to a certain category but also perform at your best level.

What's the process? Beginning from a week out with a tough pre 24 hr? How do you focus on refuel then?

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    Enjoying the thread. I've a couple of questions RE cutting weight.

Firstly, why do it? If you regularly weigh 90kg, why try and lift at 85 or less? Is it purely to compete against similar opposition or, to try and give an advantage against others? From afar, it doesn't make sense if doing it for yourself.

Is there an optimal amount i.e. 10% cut? You want to cut to a certain category but also perform at your best level.

What's the process? Beginning from a week out with a tough pre 24 hr? How do you focus on refuel then?

For the most part, a cut only makes any sense if you're going to be more competitive at the lower weight class and it's where your performance will be optimal.

For the majority it doesn't really matter. What matters is being able to lift the biggest total at whatever weight you perform best at

Advertisement