Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mira Elite QT Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yet another Noisy Mira Elite QT. We've had dozens of these since launch 18 months ago. When will Mira admit there is big problems with this shower?:mad:

Edit: I had a second Mira Elite QT develop a leak at the filter. It might be worth keeping an eye on this part too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yet another Noisy Mira Elite QT. We've had dozens of these since launch 18 months ago. When will Mira admit there is big problems with this shower?:mad:

Edit: I had a second Mira Elite QT develop a leak at the filter. It might be worth keeping an eye on this part too

Hi Sleeper, did you manage to fix the leak at the filter? Have a Mira QT, more or less brand new, in the main bathroom hardly used since it was installed last Oct as we use the ensuite instead.

Hasn't been used since we last had someone stay around two weeks ago so the leak is sort of out of the blue. Came back on Sunday after a weekend away and find the filter dripping at a fairly decent rate, end of the bath soaked plus the floor. Took it out and cleaned it, o-ring looks fine, no dirt on it, minute I put it back in drips like crazy again. Only stops if I leave it out.

Any suggestions? Wish I'd seen this thread before the plumber installed, left it up to him to supply it.

DamoKen wrote: »
    Hi Sleeper, did you manage to fix the leak at the filter? Have a Mira QT, more or less brand new, in the main bathroom hardly used since it was installed last Oct as we use the ensuite instead.

Hasn't been used since we last had someone stay around two weeks ago so the leak is sort of out of the blue. Came back on Sunday after a weekend away and find the filter dripping at a fairly decent rate, end of the bath soaked plus the floor. Took it out and cleaned it, o-ring looks fine, no dirt on it, minute I put it back in drips like crazy again. Only stops if I leave it out.

Any suggestions? Wish I'd seen this thread before the plumber installed, left it up to him to supply it.

It wasn't the filters at all in the end, see the Youtube video below. Also you'll notice the noise out of the motor.
    Mira will repair it under warranty 01 6205657 My real concern is with so many known issues what will Mira do after your 2 year warranty is up? You could have a 25 month old shower with a faulty pump & it will cost you €210/225 to have it repaired. I have some clients on third pump & the shower is not on the market for 2 years yet. I have suggested a six year warranty on this model but as always no response from Mira. We advertise these showers as "seconds" now. Brand new out of the box but sold as seconds. My own personal belief is that the Mira Elite QT should be withdrawn from the market & refunds offered.

Cheers Sleeper, didn't realise the vid was related to the "filter" leak. So the leak is actually internal and just exits via the filter plug. Have the plumber who installed it coming out to take a look this week. I'll ask him re the warranty then.

When you say you sell as "seconds" is that reflected in the price? Might explain why he selected this one :(.

No the price is the same as Mira still charge full price for the shower. By installing these as "seconds" there is little or no comeback for me. I already have first hand experience of mira not covering some things under their warranty. Also if a faulty pump fails in month 25 the client has comeback from whoever supplied the shower (me) under Irish sale of goods act. A warranty is offered on top of your statutory rights not instead of. Their contract is with me & not Mira so I can be sued because of Miras faulty showers. Mira insist they have never heard of the sale of goods act & their customer service tells people that they only have the warranty & if Mira says no then tough.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the clarification, good to know we weren't getting the cheapest option at least. Had a Mira Elite for 8 years in my last place, hard water area so eventually element got clogged up which seems to be quite common with that model. Previous to that though had performed well so was happy enough with a newer model going into our new house.

I'll pass on the replies from this thread to our plumber. At least that way his next customer doesn't end up with the same model.

Cheers

It wasn't the filters at all in the end, see the Youtube video below. Also you'll notice the noise out of the motor.
    Mira will repair it under warranty 01 6205657 My real concern is with so many known issues what will Mira do after your 2 year warranty is up? You could have a 25 month old shower with a faulty pump & it will cost you €210/225 to have it repaired. I have some clients on third pump & the shower is not on the market for 2 years yet. I have suggested a six year warranty on this model but as always no response from Mira. We advertise these showers as "seconds" now. Brand new out of the box but sold as seconds. My own personal belief is that the Mira Elite QT should be withdrawn from the market & refunds offered.

Quick update, plumber never showed, said he was busy on the next call and promised again to call the following week. Since then has just dodged calls and not responded to texts so we've sort of given up on getting him to sort it. Ironically enough out of the many jobs he messed up (costing us a lot) this is probably the only one where it looks like it's not his fault. All we really wanted was the documentation so we could validate the warranty.

So question is how do I get it replaced/repaired under warranty if he never gave us the documentation for it. Is there a serial number inside the casing I can use that would show it's a new installation?

Cheers

DamoKen wrote: »
    Quick update, plumber never showed, said he was busy on the next call and promised again to call the following week. Since then has just dodged calls and not responded to texts so we've sort of given up on getting him to sort it. Ironically enough out of the many jobs he messed up (costing us a lot) this is probably the only one where it looks like it's not his fault. All we really wanted was the documentation so we could validate the warranty.

So question is how do I get it replaced/repaired under warranty if he never gave us the documentation for it. Is there a serial number inside the casing I can use that would show it's a new installation?

Cheers

Phone (01) 620 5657 and they will repair it with or without a receipt

This model is only on the market 18 months or so. All Mira Elite QT showers are still under warranty as they are all under 2 years old.

Phone (01) 620 5657 and they will repair it with or without a receipt

This model is only on the market 18 months or so. All Mira Elite QT showers are still under warranty as they are all under 2 years old.

Perfect, thanks Sleeper

/edit that seemed relatively painless. Gave a call, no problem with a call out to repair under condition it's not mains fed as that's not covered under warranty. Will be getting another call for the call out time. Will update with the final outcome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I only have this shower installed 2 months ago and it's dripping out of the filter now all the time.
    What do I have to do to sort it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Call the shower doctor and they will repair it under the Mira warranty.
    I had the exact same issue repaired 2 days ago. There is a rubber elbow joint that has a plastic clip on it, looks like the clip is far too tight and actually split the rubber elbow joint open.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I only have this shower installed 2 months ago and it's dripping out of the filter now all the time. What do I have to do to sort it??

This is a very common problem with this shower. We've had 2 clients with this issue this week alone and a call from another chap from the west of Ireland with the same problem. The shower doctors must be making a killing repairing this shower under warranty

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I only have this shower installed 2 months ago and it's dripping out of the filter now all the time.
    What do I have to do to sort it??

Hi Ciderman, as the lads above said call Shower Doctors. Just had them out this morning and fixed.

Same problem as described by Goodlad except in this case it wasn't the clip. The guy who repaired it said the moulding was actually wrong so he's replaced the entire rubber housing.

Really sounds like Mira's quality control is non-existent. Never had a problem with Mira up until now but if this is happening after max 10 showers I'm not too optimistic this shower will last for long. Only thing I am sure of is it's replacement won't be Mira.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Bought this model in April 2106, have had the thermostat? repaired 3 times already, shower broke again, Woodies fobbing me off to shower doctor, shower doctor saying its due to hard water... Mira's website says "perfect for those living in hard water areas".. Number of issues here... How or why can Woodies not accept responsibility, my contract is with them, and are Mira guilty of false advertising? To have a shower break every 4 months is surely worthy of a replacement?

empty21 wrote:
    Bought this model in April 2106, have had the thermostat? repaired 3 times already, shower broke again, Woodies fobbing me off to shower doctor, shower doctor saying its due to hard water... Mira's website says "perfect for those living in hard water areas".. Number of issues here... How or why can Woodies not accept responsibility, my contract is with them, and are Mira guilty of false advertising? To have a shower break every 4 months is surely worthy of a replacement?

Hey they also claim on the box 75 percent quieter than any other shower. We know that's not true.

Usually limescale damage isn't covered by the warranty. Having said that Triton will replace one heating can /element in the warranty period even though they do not claim that their shower is perfect for hard water areas.

I think we are limited on what we can say on this forum offering legal advice and such. There is a consumers advice forum on boards and they give great advice. I suggest you post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Just seen another leaking from the elbow / motor one of these. Only installed last May

Mira Elite QT. 10 days out of warranty. A well known fault develops & they wont repair it. The landlord called us in to change it for a Triton T90SR.

I really worry for people when these showers go out of warranty. The original design flaws are still there. I honestly believe they should give a 6 year warranty with this shower to protect the homeowner :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Tbh the warranty is just from the manufacturer which makes getting faults repaired a easier process. But buyers have far longer protection for a repair/replace/refund from the company they purchased the shower from. Although that can be a painful process depending on where someone bought it

goodlad wrote: »
    Tbh the warranty is just from the manufacturer which makes getting faults repaired a easier process. But buyers have far longer protection for a repair/replace/refund from the company they purchased the shower from. Although that can be a painful process depending on where someone bought it

I totally agree. I advised him of this & he may take the original installer to the Small Claims Court yet(who in turn can take his supplier to court) but he still had to pay me to install a new shower while he waits the 6 months for it to get to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shoyne

Hi
    First posting on this topic. Have installed a Mira QT about 9 months ago. Was never very happy with it. Worked fine for a while then stopped about 2weeks ago. Power light on when isolator switch turned on. Then when press the on/off button power indicator light goes off. Have checked the connections and cant find a fault.... power appears to be available at each point both to motor and heater? Any thoughts welcome before I go down the shower doctor route.....(which appears from reading this thread to be painful!))

Thanks

• Advertisement

Shower isn't the issue this time. You don't have 230v going to the shower. Replace the isolation switch.

Phase tester is just telling you that you have less than a volt. Just enough power to turn on the phase tester light but not enough to run the shower

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shoyne

Shower isn't the issue this time. You don't have 230v going to the shower. Replace the isolation switch.

Phase tester is just telling you that you have less than a volt. Just enough power to turn on the phase tester light but not enough to run the shower

Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

With all the issues of the Mira QT, anyone heard of Mira replacing this model with a new one and perhaps a quieter model given the current competition. The 75% quieter marketing line is just a joke at this stage! I currently have a Mira Elite 2 and was tempted to upgrade to the QT as a straight forward upgrade but now I have my doubts after reading this thread. Perhaps I should wait till Mira bring out a newer model? QT has been out a few years now, not sure what their typical product lifecycle is?

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    With all the issues of the Mira QT, anyone heard of Mira replacing this model with a new one and perhaps a quieter model given the current competition. The 75% quieter marketing line is just a joke at this stage! I currently have a Mira Elite 2 and was tempted to upgrade to the QT as a straight forward upgrade but now I have my doubts after reading this thread. Perhaps I should wait till Mira bring out a newer model? QT has been out a few years now, not sure what their typical product lifecycle is?

Your guess is as good as anyone's. All shower manufacturers keep new models secret till the launch. The trade heard about a month before the launch of the Mira Elite QT & the Triton T90SR yet the T90SR was Two years in design.

My concern is that for over 2 years now Mira customer care in Ireland (the shower doctors) & the Mira reps insist that there are no issues with the Mira Elite QT. I Wrote to Mira UK over 12 months ago & they haven't responded to my concerns. I have since sent three emails to Mira, this time through my supplier Heatmerchants. My supplier said they'll have to respond to them. They haven't, again they are waiting a year now.

The first two years of this showers life might have cost Mira a lot in warranty repairs but as the two years end they will recoup this loss on part sales. We have replaced several just out of warranty already with Triton T90SR showers.

I seem to be always bashing Mira here. Mira can make fine products & are famous for the quality of their cartridge showers & I think any plumber would agree with that. My only issues are the quality of the Mira Elite QT & the terrible customer experience that is the shower doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

I have a Mira Elite QT to fit, I was going to take the cold water supply off what used to be the cold water for the bath (which I have removed for a shower) but someone mentioned that the supply needs to come directly from the tank, any advice?

kig wrote:
    I have a Mira Elite QT to fit, I was going to take the cold water supply off what used to be the cold water for the bath (which I have removed for a shower) but someone mentioned that the supply needs to come directly from the tank, any advice?

Best advice I can give is return the Mira Elite QT & get a Triton T90sr. I'm assuming you haven't opened the shower yet as there are fitting instructions inside.

You need a dedicated supply from the attic tank to the shower or risk voiding the warranty & being a Mira Elite QT you will most likely need to use the warranty a few times.

More important than the water supply is the electrics. By law you need to use a Registered Electrical Contractor to do all of the electrical work.

The Mira Elite QT will be Three years this October so I thought I'd give an update. After almost Three years on the market you'd expect all the kinks to be ironed out. You would think wouldn't you?

We still find 10 percent aren't working at all out aren't working as they should be out of the box brand new. We then find yet another 10 percent fail within the warranty period. That's around 20 percent complaint rate where I'd be expecting a half to one percent.

We have seen Mira Elite QT showers being repaired several times (like the one in the video) during the warranty period & when they fail again outside the warranty they are charged 200 for another new motor. Some of these showers are less than three years old & are on their fourth motor.

The shower in the video had already gone through three motors under warranty & they needed a fourth motor outside of the warranty but was told they would have to pay 98 plus vat=120.54 for the motor & 80 labour to install it. Thats over 200 euro. She rang Mira customer care number for Ireland but when asked awkward questions they then say we are the shower doctors. We are an independent company & have nothing to do with Mira. They say this despite on the manual for the Mira Elite QT there number is listed as Mira customer care for Ireland. The poor woman was shuffled between Irish customer care & Mira UK several times before hitting a brick wall. Mira didn't even offer a replacement part for free & charge for fitting. She was offered nothing. Rather than spend 200 on another motor that has an average lifespan in her shower of about nine or ten months she replaced the shower with a Triton T90SR for under 350. She is now a happy lady

The above story is typical story of the Mira Elite QT. We had a motor 10 days out of warranty. Remember we now know that the motor in this shower is a known fault with a high failure rate. 10 Days out of warranty & Mira wanted over 200 to replace the motor. This shower we replaced ourselves so we had to step in where Mira refused. We replaced the motor totally free out of our own pocket.

I am still waiting for Mira to reply to my emails from over 18 months ago about this shower. I'm a member of a closed plumbing group with over 2000 members. It's a group for plumbers & suppliers. Mira has a presence there yet refuse to answer any questions about the many problems that installers from around Ireland are having.

Ive brought up the thread so people looking for a shower knows that nothing has changed since the start of this thread. 18 months ago I sent Mira a link to this thread. The shower still has a massive failure rate. My own experience is still 20 percent complaint rate about this shower. IMO it should have been removed from the market about two years ago when they saw how many failed.

My advice for the foreseeable future is stay away from this particular shower

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

For the record , Just replaced a  16 month old MIRA QT as the motor packed in (witha new QT for ease of installation). Only just saw this forum on motor  problems . (and occasionally i come across the original Elite working fine after 12 + years)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Reading this thread with interest as I'm looking to replace my mother's shower which is currently a Mira Elite ST.

Had assumed that sticking with Mira would be the best option but very much put off the Elite QT based on the experiences here.

Will the Triton T90SR be a viable alternative or will the footprint/piping be significantly different? Can upload pictures of the shower setup if needed.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Will the Triton T90SR be a viable alternative or will the footprint/piping be significantly different? Can upload pictures of the shower setup if needed.

Roughly 95 percent of the time we can swap a mira elite for a triton t90sr. The main obstacle is if the mira isn't tiled behind. As they have different footprint, no tiles behind the shower means a little tiling afterwards or stick with the mira elite qt or triton t900pi. If the shower is tiled behind then the electric supply & the water inlet are in the correct place for the triton t90sr

Advertisement