Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dating with anxious attachment style

• 12-10-2019 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am a 30 year old man and lately I believe that my poor dating record stems from possibly an anxious attachment style.

A poster mentioned attachment styles in another thread I was reading and having researched it, this is definitely the style I have. My parents (separated) have this attachment style too, particularly my father.

I have a good bit going for me, I am not bad-looking, have a good education, look after myself and have a pretty good personality so I can generate a lot of attraction early on but it rarely translates to more than a few dates.

When I start seeing someone, I get infatuated and these ways of thinking is what I want to stop. I constantly check their social media, think about them all the time and get distracted temporarily from other interests in my life. It happens way too easily and usually ends up with me investing into someone a bit earlier than I should.

While the above might sound a bit psycho, i don't mean it to be. I am a popular enough guy and get on with most people. I think it is more that I have an anxious attachment style and this is what I want to change.

Can I change this? How would I go about doing it?

All I really want is to have a normal healthy relationship with companionship and love. Nothing more, nothing else.

Any comments greatly appreciated. Sorry if it appears needy or psycho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Train yourself to practice restraint, don't dive in with both feet immediately. For instance instead of giving in to the impulse to text, check social media etc etc take a walk to the local shops or choose something that occupies your mind.

You don't come across as a psycho by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Train yourself to practice restraint, don't dive in with both feet immediately. For instance instead of giving in to the impulse to text, check social media etc etc take a walk to the local shops or choose something that occupies your mind.

You don't come across as a psycho by the way.

This is good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Im a lot like that too op. It's hard to admit being like that, not that I have told anyone iv ever seen, big no no.

We're hardly the only 2 people like this? For all we know, some people we imagine not to be like this, could be.

I have got better myself in regards to checking social media and thinking about them so much. I know it's not good for me, or the possible relationship that may begin.

I reckon once you become happy and comfortable on your own, you might be for all I know, but I'd imagine it would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi op I can relate and I am a female of similar age and things have gone same way dating wise, nothing ever goes beyond handful of dates. As I have gotten older I have attained greater self discipline and try to get on with other things in life. I deliberately try not to be excited, try to have a rational approach, sometimes even telling myself that this most likely will end like the rest of them. This keeps me grounded and brings me back to reality.
    Of course this approach will take away joy initially but I find it’s the only way how not to get burned quickly. I reckon once you feel things are going well, I mean dating for few months you can slowly start to get excited. I know it’s a very clinical approach but it works for me. Of course you can’t get ‘cured’ of this instantly but helps me a great bit. All about self control😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You sound well put together but your issue seems to be that to some extent you've geared your life towards dating. The way you describe yourself is very telling in that regard, all of your attributes are highly desirable in a partner but in isolation will lead to a level of infatuation from the offset that is hard to dismiss. Dating should be a parallel sideshow to the real thing which is your life, once you have it together and are dating someone casually your real, personal life (and by this I mean hobbies, career, friends, activities etc.) and the person you are dating should start to mould together organically with a natural and healthy upward trajectory. Some people bypass this element by dating someone from their locality, university, working life or social circle - whether or not this is better in the long term I do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you get urges - this is not immediately easy to control.
    you get to choose whether to act on those urges -this you can control.

there is a technique, mindfulness, which you can practise, and will allow you train your mind. by using mindfulness you can prevent giving in to your urges, and i believe with practice you can even train your thoughts so that you don't have the urge in the 1st place.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/How_does_mindfulness_help_control_behavior

https://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Practical-Guide-Finding-Frantic/dp/074995308X

there are many self help books on mindfulness, the one above is IMO a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I’ve spent the better part of the last year working on this, and trying to spread the word as much as possible too because once you learn about it it’s game-changing!

For a start, while well-meaning, ‘distract yourself’ is not good for someone with anxiety. You can go to the shops or walk for days, but when you return from that walk, then you’re right back where you started. You have to learn to separate your anxiety from the problem at hand and deal with it on its own, it’s not something you can outrun. Unless someone is going to die, there are very few problems that can’t wait until you’ve calmed the F down and can deal with it from a position of strength. Mindfulness, in particular the Headspace app, is great for learning how to do this. Learn to do this and you’re 60% of the way there.

The book ‘Attached’ is an amazing book to read for those wanting to learn more. You’ll see your experiences are totally normal and shared by millions, as well as coping mechanisms for dealing with them. People will say ‘change yourself’ as, again, well-meaning but totally ineffective advice. This stuff is embedded in you since childhood, there’s no quick fix because you’ve likely never lived any other way and can’t just restore yourself to factory settings. So instead the solution is to learn more, be conscious of it in your dealings and you can slowly move to a more secure base in time. Most importantly, though, learn to look for people who fulfil your needs and learn what exactly those needs are (for anxious attachment style it’s usually along the lines of reliable, secure, reassuring etc).

If there is a god, one of the cruelest pranks he gave us was making anxious and avoidant people naturally attracted to each other. Learn to spot avoidants (the book is really, really good for this) ahead of time, try identify it even with randomers, and in time you’ll re-train yourself not to be attracted to them because you’ve likely experienced what happens when you are. If you’re brutally honest with yourself and learn as you go, in time your attraction will naturally shift more towards people who can make you happy and away from those who can’t.

It’s a long and not particularly easy road, but one worth walking. For what it’s worth, try not to see previous experience as wasted time to become discouraged by how far you have to come. You’ve almost definitely learned valuable life lessons that’ll help you deal with situations and, when you implement these, these lessons will all ensure your long-term happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Hey OP,

I read your post with interest.

I'm not familar with attachment styles but this sounds like me 10 years ago. However, I wouldn't be so quick to resign yourself to a certain personality type and try to work around it tbh.

For me, I just had to realise that I was over-investing in dates, the more I dates I went on the less this happened. I also took up a fitness hobby which took up way too much of my time and perhaps I transferred my obsessive tendencies in to buying sportsgear and working on nutrition but ultimately it served me well as my approach to dating changed a some point and I'm in a happy, commited long-term relationship now.

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I think this is a lot more common than anyone thinks. It may well be down to an attachment style learned earlier on in life, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to pathologise and set yourself the monumental task of fundamentally changing what you've identified as an embedded personality trait.

I think Lola's advice is pretty solid. Diversify the dating pool and distract yourself with a busy, productive, happy life! I find I'm a lot more prone to over-investing and obsessing over someone when there's not much else happening for me socially and when I'm working from a "scarcity" dating mindset i.e "if it doesn't work with this guy what am I gonna do??"

You need to get out of this "sell" mode you're in and change it to a "buy" mode - as cheesy as that sounds. Why should you hang around waiting for some girl you barely know to give you the nod of approval and decide that she wants to be with you? The mindset should be - you've got lots to offer and does SHE fit the bill, rather than the other way around. It's a lot easier then to take a "let's wait and see" approach when you're dating someone and not see them as the be all and end all. It's a lot easierto do that when you 1. are busy doing things that make you feel good about yourself and 2. feel you have many options.

CBT and Mindfulness can be quite useful too, it's a lot of work though and take a LOT of time and practice to see results and you really need to be fitting them into your everyday life if you want to see results.

If you look up what attachment styles are, actually everyone has one. And, not even that, but I believe it’s more of a spectrum rather than settling comfortably into the convenient 50% secure, 25% avoidant, 25% anxious stat that gets trotted out: so we all have elements of each (is there any one of us that haven’t suffered from overthinking while in a relationship/texting people for example?)

So, while you shouldn’t see it as a flaw so much as just accepting it’s who you are, it’s massively helpful to understand what yours is because it will help you understand what kind of people fulfil your needs. Ignoring it leads to stuff like more anxious prone people being magnetically attracted to avoidant people: a recipe for disaster and heartbreak that people are often incapable of seeing until they learn to identify it.

And saying something is hard work isn’t an excuse to not do something. You know what else is hard work? Living your entire life not fully happy because you don’t understand yourself or what your needs are/how to identify those suited to you. The latter requires less conscious effort but then your happiness is a coin flip. Putting a bit of effort into your mental wellbeing at least assures a decent form of control over your own happiness. It’s a no-brainer tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Hi OP,

There is nothing to change, and nothing that you need to change. You just have some insecure thinking about this, but you don't need to label it - there is nothing to label!

If you are seeing that you invest a LOT into someone new who you like, then you are already streets ahead of someone who does this but doesn't realise it, and who may then scare someone off.

Your happiness / contentment doesn't lie outside you, or in someone else. If you believe that it does, you may get what you're getting, which is insecurity or anxiousness about things going somewhere.

If you get that it doesn't, then you can see that you can just go on dates and enjoy the other person's company, without feeling that pressure.

Then, if it goes somewhere, great. If not, there are lots of other fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You have to learn how to break down your own walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it's hard to make any kind of relationship work unless you view yourself as much of a catch as the other party involved, or at least somewhere in the same ball park!

A lot of this is about accepting things about yourself and identifying early on when those needs are not going to be met. And then doing what it takes to control behaviours that have become excessive and counter-productive for you.

For example, if I’m seeing someone I need to have some form of communication with them every day. I need the reassurance that they are into me and I need to know they are comfortable and not freaked out by emotional intimacy. If they aren’t, I’m gonna be massively triggered and head down the rabbit hole of obsessing and ruminating and feeling insecure and being consumed by the relationship. That probably makes me insecurely attached, but if I’m in the right relationship it’s not going to be activated and my partner is gonna be the type who does these things naturally and comfortably. If I’m left hanging for a few days post-date or ghosted or getting the hot and cold treatment, that’s someone that’s not a fit for me.

I have a full life with hobbies and friends and a really busy career blah blah, and that helps with staying out of the rabbit hole, but ultimately these are just my needs and I’m going to suffer a lot emotionally if someone isn’t on the same page.

Sadly the dating world is dominated by avoidants, (makes sense - securely attached folks tend to be...secured attached to someone) and that can be a nightmare for people like me. The trick is - yes - doing everything you can to have a happy and full life - but manly identifying red flags and setting boundaries when you see them. Game playing, hot and colding, disappearing, generally acting non committal and I’m out.

^^^

Spot on post. OP there’s your answer, just sub in your own needs (which may be quite similar).

Thanks for all of the replies.

A lot of what has been written is making sense. It is entirely within me and I need to recognise signs and cultivate healthy boundaries and habits myself.

My long-term relationships have been remarkably consistent. They all have the following characteristics. Somewhat beautiful women, extremely liberal, into music, come from very middle-class / well-off backgrounds and all have had quite strained relationships with their fathers, whether that was through divorce/separation with their mothers or other issues. They would also be somewhat kinky or liberal regarding sex and drug use(cocaine) too.

I am getting revelations here because the above is quite contrary to what I am. I am a male, average to good-looking, centrist politically, into sports, middle class, I am liberal towards sex but not so with cocaine. I am a 'safe' sort of guy who is straight down the middle, I think.

I find I am drawn to them like a venus flytrap but I wonder what draws them to me? I always felt like I was the 'giver' in the relationships but that is only my feeling, doesn't mean it is right.

Sorry to ramble on. I feel as if I am coming towards a revelation. Hopefully it helps others too

Read that ‘Attached’ book man. It’ll explain literally everything you’re talking about here and is a handy enough read you can fly through too.

OP here,

I read that book. Fascinating and definitely food for thought. I have a lot to work on. I would recommend it to anyone who thinks they might have an anxious attachment style.

While it has helped me a lot, I suppose the next steps are for me to utilise some of the techniques to recognise when someone can't give me the affection I desire or when I start my anxious behaviours.

I wonder if I could ever shut off or at least tone down my anxious attachment thoughts and behaviours. Brain washing maybe!

Interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Can this book be downloaded as a PDF online? I think I really need to read this book but I'm just barely making ends meet at the moment and can't afford it right now.

I checked my local library and they don't have it, so would appreciate if anyone knows if where it can be downloaded online.

Thanks.

I got it on the Kindle store for cheap. Easily worth the money.

Glad to hear you got a lot from it OP! I’m doing therapy for the past few months and it’s helping me both trace back where my attachment style came from, learn to spot signs ahead of time, accept this is who I am and try slowly change the type of person I’m attracted to. It’s fascinating: I can look back on situations I got into and now understand, from stuff that happened early into my life, why I reacted certain ways, why they did and so on.

It’s not an overnight process mind: for me, in the first few months, I found I kept drifting and going for the same type of person that I always had. And now I find I’m just disinterested in dating in general for the time being while I focus on myself (which is healthy). But the thing was that when I’d go for them, I’d catch myself and see through things that I would’ve fallen for before. Now I can spot them coming a mile off and am actively put off by traits I know I would’ve been a sucker for beforehand. So it’s a process but it does work in time if you engage with it.

• Advertisement

Yes that was an excellent book and while short, had a lot of information that was extremely helpful for me.

Interesting aside, I was abroad for a weekend to see some friends and met two women on different nights. The first on night one was sensible, mature, intelligent and shares the same long-term goals as me. My friend told me she is into me and we exchanged contact details. She is lovely but I am finding her a little boring.

On the second night I met a second lady. Exactly my 'type' (dark and womanly-curvy) and while intelligent, could tell there were a few red flags re:some things she was saying (joking she was crazy, joking about her tongue bar), we don't share the same long-term goals but had unbelievably good sex. I am still in touch with her too.

So i have a sensible lady who would be an excellent long-term prospect (if a little boring) and a lady who I had the most funny, entertaining night in years with but would not work out long term.

Guess which one is occupying my thoughts? :(

"Boring" is actually a good thing for someone like you. Because it usually means - they're not in fact boring, they're just not the drama-filled emotional rollercoaster you're looking for. They don't trigger your attachment style and get you going stir-crazy, staring at your phone and thinking about them night and day.

This could be a good test for you. Try to dig deep here and ask yourself, why exactly is she boring? What's boring about this situation, or is it just the relative lack of high and low emotions and adrenaline rush that you're experiencing with this other lady?

If you want something different, you need to analyse your own behaviours and triggers and think a bit more with your head than your heart in these early days of meeting someone new. Otherwise nothing changes.

It’s good that you’re conscious of that, that’s the first step, and that part of the book resonated heavily with me too. But it also explains how it’s not love you’re feeling but your attachment style is ‘activated’, so it feels like love because that’s what you’ve come to know as ‘exciting’. Get your head around the fact that it’s unhealthy and results in you getting hurt and you won’t feel that pull, I speak there from personal experience. Now avoidants strike me as boring and damaged. The alternative is ignoring it and keep pushing until you get very seriously hurt. But really, do you need to putting your hand on a hob to know that it’s bad?

Look you can’t force yourself to be attracted and interested to the ‘boring’ girl, there’s no point and she wouldn’t want that either in the grand scheme. So I’d suggest stop trying to fix it (because guess which attachment style are the fixers? ;)) and just live and commit to it as an ongoing process.

Advertisement