Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

poem about nuclear warning

• 14-08-2019 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I don't have a title for this but I wrote it when I was about 15, I think, so '75, '76. I'd just watched a programme on tv about what to do if a nuclear bomb went off.

There's no need to worry
    strange dream that it seems
    that the Russians or anyone
    will blow us up in smithereens
    'cos the big boys and generals
    in their bunkers below
    will send out instructions
    via the radio
    to families and friends
    who wait for the call
    whilst Mama watches cups
    least they wobble and fall
    and look, Papa is choking,
    and no-one knows why -
    we're under a table
    we're too safe to die.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Good, especially for a fifteen year-old. I would tweak line four's 'will blow us up in smithereens' cause it doesn't flow and change 'or anyone' to someone specific, 'or yanks' perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Thanks. I wrote the original version when I was 15 or 16 but I have changed a few lines since then. I only remembered about it the other day after that explosion in Russia. The "or anyone" always bothered me. Even at the time. I just couldn't think of anything else.

Does

"that the Russians will blow us
    all up in smithereens"

come across any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Yeah, it does. I'd opt for just 'into smithereens' off the top of my head. I'd probably cut it into four four-line verses too but it's your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

This reads better all right. Thanks for the suggestions.

There's no need to worry
    strange dream that it seems
    that the Russians will blow us
    into smithereens

'cos the big boys and generals
    in their bunkers below
    will send out instructions
    via the radio

to families and friends
    who wait for the call
    whilst Mama watches cups
    least they wobble and fall