Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get published

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Hi all, a great but very long read.
    I've been working on some stories for small children that will need to be illustrated. All I've read suggest that the publisher will find the illustrator not the author. The wording is short and simple and the story does greatly depend on the illustrations (think Roses Walk) as does the placement of the text on the page within the illustration. So if I go ahead with them and submit to a publisher how much detail do I need to give about what the illustration should be. I've made a mock up of a book laying out how the pages should be but don't imagine this is what should be submitted...any ideas, thanks.

Edited to add: What is the percentage breakdown between author and illustrator. The illustration is hugely important but the idea is mine.
    Secondly, someone here was self publishing an illustrated book, did you go ahead and how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I am Sryan Bruen and I am a songwriter / poet / writer. I write songs, short stories, poems and scripts for my upcoming sitcom Celebrity Life.

I have wrote way too many songs to list :D so here are just some examples of titles of my songs (my best songs in my opinion)

- Infinity
    - Never Give Up
    - Time Goes By
    - My Heart is in You
    - Lose You
    - Feel the Love (I wrote the music, lyrics are taken from an old song - but I have given credit for them)
    - A Ghrá
    - Madrid
    - The Leaving Song
    - Leave the Stage

I have not wrote as many poems and all my poems' titles are:

- Teacher's Pet
    - Cá nDeachaigh Tú? (Where Did You Go?)
    - Cancer is a B****
    - One Christmas
    - Rain Over Me
    - Heal Brother
    - Snow (I am currently working on but I have writers block)
    - Rhythmic Love (I have thrown aside in the bin :()

Short stories I have wrote:

- Graveyard of Terror
    - A Friend Like Him
    - A House in the Woods
    - Robáil Banc (Bank Robbery)
    - Bhí an tÁdh Liom (The Luck Was With Me)
    - Sryan Bruen summary (A brief story / summary about my life)

So far I have wrote ONE full episode for Celebrity Life

- Where It All Begins

I am working on the second episode with 2 pages of script so far

- Vincent Strikes

^ these are the titles of the episodes

The only reason I am so far behind ever since I started writing Celebrity Life back in August 2014 is because I am the only writer currently.

Out of all these creative works though, I really want my poetry published but I can't find anywhere where I can publish my poems (I am 15 btw).

See my 'Snow' poem so far and please give me feedback

Rising up from slumbers ready to tolerate life's dilemmas
    Recalling back when I was just a kid, I was fearless
    Hiking through the snow on glacial pavements
    Participating with other youth and the childhood amazement

Watching the sky powder all Winter long over us
    People with the flu and others saying what's the fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

United Agents (UK) have an "open house" during August for any one looking for an agent.
    You need to submit the first 3 chapters of your WIP and a brief synopsis.
    Deadlines vary depending on genre.

Aug 8th: Crime/Thrillers
    Aug 15th: Com fiction
    Aug 22nd: Lit fiction

unitedagentsDOTcoDOTuk/open-house
    (sorry- I can't post links ATM)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

Did anyone apply for this?
    Apparently it'll be 4-6 weeks before they get back to applicants (rather than 2 weeks as stated on their website) due to the amount of submissions.

DavidKeane wrote: »
    United Agents (UK) have an "open house" during August for any one looking for an agent.
    You need to submit the first 3 chapters of your WIP and a brief synopsis.
    Deadlines vary depending on genre.

Aug 8th: Crime/Thrillers
    Aug 15th: Com fiction
    Aug 22nd: Lit fiction

unitedagents.co.uk/open-house

• Registered Users Posts: 24 strawberry1

Hi,
    Im looking on advice for an agent or how to publish- I have written and illustrated several young children's books. I am unsure where to go from here, I have heard finding an agent could be an idea, but I only have come across UK based agencies. Any one recommend any? Are they pricey, and is it worth it? Thanks :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hi,
    Im looking on advice for an agent or how to publish- I have written and illustrated several young children's books. I am unsure where to go from here, I have heard finding an agent could be an idea, but I only have come across UK based agencies. Any one recommend any? Are they pricey, and is it worth it? Thanks :-)

You will find that most publishers / agents won't take on a pre-illustrated book. Publishers have their own pool of illustrators.

You'll also find that there are feck all agents in Ireland at all, and (I think) none that represent children's literature.

If you're looking for an agent for picture books, London is where you need to set your sights. Darley Anderson is the one that comes immediately to mind. Looking at their submission page, they do take pre-illustrated submissions.

http://www.darleyandersonchildrens.com/submissions

• Registered Users Posts: 24 strawberry1

Thank you for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

Is this thread still open?
    Anyone have info on 121 Publishers, Manchester, nothing online about them except their own website.
    Any info appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MissTheDome

owla wrote: »
    Is this thread still open?
    Anyone have info on 121 Publishers, Manchester, nothing online about them except their own website.
    Any info appreciated

Is it possible it is i2i Publishers?

I couldn't find 121...

If it is actually i2i then i think you should consider things carefully.

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?297502-i2i-Publishing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭owla

Yes it is i2i
    yes it looks like a money making project. They were gushing about my book when I cant get one agent to take it on....
    I think if I get my book professionally edited however I might go the self publish route but maybe with some company I can get more info on.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If you feel that your first 3 to 4 chapters might not be riveting but that once you hit chapters 7,8,9 it takes off are you betteroff submitting the first 9 chapters to an agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

If you feel that your first 3 to 4 chapters might not be riveting but that once you hit chapters 7,8,9 it takes off are you betteroff submitting the first 9 chapters to an agent?

You might be better working on making those first few chapters riveting. Maybe move the better chapters to the start and cut the first ones altogether.
    Attention spans are short and getting shorter. Unless you have an established fan base willing to plod through 50 pages in the expectation of a pay off, the chances are an agent won’t read that far either.
    Many classic books take hundreds of pages to get going, and some of them never do, but they were written when readers had lots of time and very little choice. Today it is the opposite. Look at any current high selling books. The first page and first chapter are always strong. Often they go downhill after that but you keep reading because you know the author can write. If you don’t know that by the end of chapter one there is a world of other books out there waiting to be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

Most places have guidelines. Typical the first 5 chapters or the first 50 pages - whichever you hit first. So chances are unless you are aiming at people who want the whole manuscript you won't get to send in that many chapters.

Might be better to rework the earlier chapters if you feel they are not as gripping as you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

If your gut feeling is that the first few chapters are less than brilliant, then you're probably not ready to submit. Rip those first few chapters apart and rebalance them, or see what happens when you cut them out altogether. Make sure your agent is grabbed from page one.
    Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Moonbeams8

What an interesting thread to dip in and out of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys, sorry if this is off topic. I'm a masters level student writing a dissertation. It's a business related paper. I'm looking for a reliable proofreader. I'm a little nervous about hiring someone online. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Hi guys, sorry if this is off topic. I'm a masters level student writing a dissertation. It's a business related paper. I'm looking for a reliable proofreader. I'm a little nervous about hiring someone online. Thanks in advance.
    Ask your teacher/professor to recommend a reader or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

km85264 wrote: »
    Ask your teacher/professor.

You know that is not possible, so I'm presume you don't approve. No need to be abrupt about it now is there.

You know that is not possible, so I'm presume you don't approve. No need to be abrupt about it now is there.

Why is it not possible? It's okay to get a proofreader. They don't write your paper for you.

km was giving the advice I would give too.

A proofreader for creative writing won't be the same as one for an academic paper. Your lecturer should be able to put you on to someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement