Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm quite bullish at this stage.

I think we'll win by 25 points, something along the lines of 41-17 or some such scorelime.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A margin of 30ish plus is very achievable. I'm not a fan of Keith Earls being moved to 13 given he's been on fire on the wing but I think he does offer more in attack than Payne. I think Sexton will give Earls a lot of line break opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

I think Earls should stay on the wing as well, he's so impressive there.

By the by, big performance now required from SOB, who might be under a little pressure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Smashing write up Losty. Our world cup starts here. Above all else I hope to god we come through this without any serious injuries. We've been lucky so far but that luck can only last so long. Ireland by at least 2 tries

Hippo wrote: »
    By the by, big performance now required from SOB, who might be under a little pressure now.

Go on...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

SOB? Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Koobcam wrote: »
    We don't need a bp win. Assuming we win, then we will have a better points difference and more tries scored that France. So basically, just win and we have the advantage if the French game ends in a draw (unless the French score 4 tries...)

Not sure if it matters massively if we face NZ in quarters. A loss against French and history against NZ would have the Irish team massively fired up against a NZ team that is not infallible. The Pumas in some ways could be a trickier tie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bilston wrote: »
    I'm quite bullish at this stage.

I think we'll win by 25 points, something along the lines of 41-17 or some such scorelime.

That's 24 points... :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Not sure if it matters massively if we face NZ in quarters. A loss against French and history against NZ would have the Irish team massively fired up against a NZ team that is not infallible. The Pumas in some ways could be a trickier tie.

I'm feeling this way too, I have a feeling we're stronger than ever to take NZ on, but I feel that Argentina are actually a stride ahead of us. Looking at NZ last night, I'd take them over Argentina if we were to play tomorrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think I'd read too much into New Zealand's performances so far. Their best performance was against Argentina, the best team they had to play in their pool, and they've maybe struggled to get a decent performance against two much weaker sides, which can happen sometimes.

• Advertisement

aimee1 wrote: »
    SOB? Why?

I think Chris Henry is pushing him very close now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

We need to be realistic here. I'm all for not getting ahead of ourselves etc but...

We should HOCKEY this Italy team. Anything less than a 20 point margin will be a failure.

The other likely contenders for the RWC would put 50 points on them, we should be aiming to do likewise if we want to be taken seriously.

New Zealand couldnt even put 50 on Georgia yesterday, England couldnt get close to that against Fiji. Im all for high standards and expectations but I dont think a score like "35-10" for example would reflect particularly badly on us at this stage, or suggest we arent contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

He's not.

I'm a huge fan of Henry but he's not pushing SOB...not remotely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

+21 the handicap- I can't see that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

Italy have been muck so far and i do not see them raise their game by much.

Ireland to be dominant, bonus point and 25 points or more ahead. 41-12.

mfceiling wrote: »
    He's not.

I'm a huge fan of Henry but he's not pushing SOB...not remotely true.

With respect, I think it is remotely true. I wouldn't have believed it a couple of months ago, but SOB has been comparatively quiet and Henry has looked really lively. At his best SOB is undroppable, but I don't think he's quite there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

With respect, I think it is remotely true. I wouldn't have believed it a couple of months ago, but SOB has been comparatively quiet and Henry has looked really lively. At his best SOB is undroppable, but I don't think he's quite there atm.

What's this based on, the Canada match? He was very good against the scots in the warmups (not that I'd put much store by the warmups). I really rate Henry but O'Brien has a lot of credit in the bank. I think it would take probably a season of averageness from SOB for Joe to consider dropping him, not a game, and certainly not a game against Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The difference between a middling sob and an on form Henry is huge, sob may not be at his best but he's still carrying over the gain line at will and still destroying rucks for fun.

As much as I like Henry, if anything it's his jersey that's under pressure. Murphy has been very good and adapts very well to any role Schmidt gives him. Henry had a stormer against Romania so he's safe, but I couldn't help notice how much Murphy changed his natural game for that fixture was really effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Alright.
    Today is here at last.
    Let's go show the world what a true top 4 team looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Excitement starting to build..... Unfortunately, Im stuck building a dolls house for my daughter's 2nd class project :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Excitement starting to build..... Unfortunately, Im stuck building a dolls house for my daughter's 2nd class project :(

Don't mind that write a note :)

feel confident about today. Think we will see a good performance, a step up in intensity and reckon we will get the TBP and win by 20-25 point margin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CQeQncJWwAAJ6yg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm confident here, think we'll win well. Its a good chance to show we mean business if we can beat Italy easily by 20-30, which I see us doing. I know that sounds arrogant but Italy have been cack so far.

I'm confident here, think we'll win well. Its a good chance to show we mean business if we can beat Italy easily by 20-30, which I see us doing. I know that sounds arrogant but Italy have been cack so far.

i think parisse back actually helps us too. Certainly wont lack for focus anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

aimee1 wrote: »
    i think parisse back actually helps us too. Certainly wont lack for focus anyway

He only started training Tuesday, looks like he's playing out of desperation more than anything. Its a morale booster for Italy but I doubt we'll see a 100% fit Parisse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sjb25 wrote: »
    Don't mind that write a note :)

Feck that, get the dog to eat whatevers currently building and send that in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hour and a half build up on TV3? OTT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes, they've done it for every Irish game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They do it ever Ireland game.

God forbid we get to a semi final, they'll probably start the buildup at 8am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement