Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

• 03-10-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ireland-v-Italy.jpg

Live on TV3 HD, UTV, STV and all ITV regions in HD. Live radio on RTE Radio 1 and BBC Radio 5 Live. Live web stream on www.tv3.ie and www.itv.com, Live app on 3 Player and ITV player; Geo Locking may be in place.

Preview. The board of the IRFU couldn't have asked for a better or luckier RWC than that of 2015. A soft group draw, a team who have been in devastating form in test matches, competition for places in almost every position within the squad and, best of all, most of our rival teams are floundering. So far so good for the Ireland team and with a severely underachieving Italian team opposing us on Sunday, you'd reasonably expect a safe 4 or even five points to see us through to the quarter final against one or either team from the other soft group of the tourney.

With that in mind lets have a look at how it could fall apart for us, as has been the case for everybody else in the competition.

The teams.
    CQTlkwuUcAEeh7_.jpg:large

CQTc_RJWUAAIM4D.jpg:large

A largely expected starting 15 was announced today; Zebo's call up into full back in lieu of injured Kearney R is deserved after his excellent attacking against Romania while RWC debutant Robert Henshaw's return to the centre beside Keith Earls being the two notable if expected changes. Ian Henderson's fine form sees him retain his place over Devin Toner but we can expect the Leinster lock to make an impact when he comes on. Otherwise the bench is made up of forwards who could start and backs who should start, depending on who's asking whom.
    Keith-Earls-of-Ireland-di-007.jpg

Italy on the other hand have had their team selection made easier through a dearth of form, team spirit and potency in attack. Injured captain Sergio Parisse is called up after a week of medical treatment. While his return is a massive boost for Azzurri, front row stalwarts Leonardo Ghiraldini and Castrogiavanni don't feature in the 23 due to injuries; one wonders if the latter will ever see RWC action again. Behind the pack a conservative if solid five eights line failed to shine against Canada; surely they can't be as poor this week opposition not withstanding.

The Action. Italy has relied on 3 main weapons. Grinding down their opposition pack in the tight set piece, exploiting weaknesses on the day and old fashioned bullying and dirt-birding. This worked fine in 2003 when Clohessy or Jason Leonard would swing digs back at you and give the game to you or when Arwel Thomas or ROG were relatively light if savvy playmakers but today's game has moved on.
    [IMG]http://cdn.onrugby.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/AA2Y1286-┬®sebastiano-pessina.jpg[/IMG]

Players are bigger and fitter and smarter, set piece options are so numerous that it's nigh impossible to call bluff on them while the advent of TMO has worked wonders in cleaning up on foul play. Add to this that Italy needs a few modern backs and it's clear where their problems lay. Italy rugby is still stuck in 2003 test rugby and Ireland knows this well.

Low number ruck ball, wide flat runs, switches to the full back line runners and plenty of long kicks into space to turn them out will be the order of the day. McClean is an excellent full back but his mobility will be tested as will his field and return game. Most of this isn't pretty to watch (Unless you watch England play.) but it works and it will tire the opposition out in time.

The Verdict.. Ireland's games versus Canada and Romania were more like additional warm up games than actuate tests and were treated as such by management. While it has allowed for many on field combinations to be tried, it's also means that the team remains untested to a higher level since March.

On the other hand Italy have had such a test and have played poorly. Morale was clearly poor in the early season and Brunel has lost the plot at this late stage in his reign as head coach. Canada were no doubted hyped up last week to give it a lash but Italy were more lazy than poor and were saved by the good scrummaging of Castrogiavanni late on. Certainly they are due a big game one of the days and while they'll make us work I just don't think that this weekend is when they'll find the big game.

I'm going with a 39-20 win to Ireland, Zebo to put the shudders up his detractors and O'Leary to score the winning penalty :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we're going to beat Italy by more than we beat Canada or Romania by.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we're going to beat Italy by more than we beat Canada or Romania by.

No chance problem beat them in the last 15 mins. 21-17

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

PTH2009 wrote: »

Ah great, we always do particularly well when you give a negative prediction!

The bookies reckon we'll win by 21 points. I think that sounds about right, I think it'll be a 20-30 point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Ireland by 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Ireland by 38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

From the talk out of camp I reckon we'll see a fairly expansive approach to this. We seem to be targeting 5 points from it and I'd be fairly confident we can do that. This Italian side are very poor and if we maintain our composure I can see us winning well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Great write up, puts mine to shame :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Great write up, puts mine to shame :pac:

Ah shush you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

20 point victory,, Italy will go at it in the first half and then crumble in the second

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Ireland will win, but I don't think we'll see the full box of tricks until we meet France. We may not need it if France play like they did yesterday but it may not be enough if France play like they sometimes do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Realistically if we don't win this with relative ease you'd question how much further we can go. Last World Cup it took a long time to grind them down. 6 nations game we played a limited enough game mainly due to Keatley starting at out half and being instructed to keep it simple and kick for territory. Again it may take time but even with Parisse back to lift the Italians, there is only so much he can do and he can't be anything near match fit for 80 minutes. Italy are definitely at one of their lower ebbs. The Scotland victory in the 6 nations masked a team in a bad place.

I'm hoping for as close to a tension free Sunday evening as possible with bigger tests ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

If we get 5 points a draw should do us against France.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The bookies have us at 1/20 draw 40/1 Italy win 12/1. We will beat them, by how many is the only question. It would be great to go through this game with no injuries and as minimal physical exertion as possible... The first real test will be v France.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Great write up, but Id be seriously disappointed if we let Italy get 20 in. I'll go for Ireland 31-10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great preview! I just want a great day out in Stratford, five points, and no injuries.......not much to ask!

People being very kind to Italy.

I'd be disappointed if they get more than 10, would like to see them kept to 3 or 6.

I think we're good for 26 points or more. If Italy capitulate late on could be humbling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

People being very kind to Italy.

I'd be disappointed if they get more than 10, would like to see them kept to 3 or 6.

I think we're good for 26 points or more. If Italy capitulate late on could be humbling.

To score 3 or 6 would involve them being able to kick at goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Glad to see Dave playing, think he'll make some serious yardage against then and hopefully free space for Earls to work his attacking magic.
    Can't see this being a close game, think from 30 mins on we'll just ease clear and should get a bp easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

I've said it all week. I've bet Ireland at -19 and again at -21.5. I can't see anything bar an emphatic Ireland win. We have 15 guys on the field capable of tearing a poor Italy apart and replacements off the bench capable of just the same. Our win against Canada on week 1 looks even more impressive not given how well Canada have performed since and our 2nd string (if Ireland have such a thing at the moment, Schmidt really has a squad rather than a team playing for him) never really had to get out of 3rd gear against a determined Romania. Expect Ireland to ramp it up from there and put Italy to the sword. Only issue for Ireland is to avoid injuries. Have beaten Italy by 31 points on average in recent times (baring 2013) and this Italy is a side in decline. With a huge Irish crowd behind them I see Ireland winning by 30+. My prediction Ireland 47 - 9 Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Realistically if we don't win this with relative ease you'd question how much further we can go. Last World Cup it took a long time to grind them down. 6 nations game we played a limited enough game mainly due to Keatley starting at out half and being instructed to keep it simple and kick for territory. Again it may take time but even with Parisse back to lift the Italians, there is only so much he can do and he can't be anything near match fit for 80 minutes. Italy are definitely at one of their lower ebbs. The Scotland victory in the 6 nations masked a team in a bad place.

I'm hoping for as close to a tension free Sunday evening as possible with bigger tests ahead.

I think we tried to do similar to last year, wear them down over 60 minutes and strike for a few tries in the last 20. But the weather turned and the squad wasn't as strong as last year so we didn't do as much damage in the end as we had hoped. We've a stronger team for tomorrow so we should be looking to get a real result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

PTH2009 wrote: »

The ever dependable doomsdayer!!!! Nice to see you again. Like irishbucsfan says; it's like a good omen for us when you predict dark days!

30+ points we beat them by.

The only part of the OP's post I disagree with is that this Italy team are due a good performance at some stage.
    I do not believe there is any semblance of a good performance in this Italian side under this coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A win with no injuries will do nicely, ideally a bonus point just in case we draw with France. However I think if Italy put 20 points up on us, Joe will go nuts and it would be a very bad sign of things to come, 28-10 to us I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This is an Italian team missing 4 or 5 players an unfit Parisse. We should be winning by 25+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Bridge93 wrote: »
    This is an Italian team missing 4 or 5 players an unfit Parisse. We should be winning by 25+

the last 20 minutes could be scrappy if we have the TBP secured and have shut italy out.

Sexton, Best, Murray, POC, Heaslip off [by choice] as early as possible would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm not so confident. I hope the guys aren't targeting a BP win.... Forcing your game, that's exactly how you make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

.ak wrote: »
    I'm not so confident. I hope the guys aren't targeting a BP win.... Forcing your game, that's exactly how you make mistakes.

Yeah I'd say that's highly unlikely under Joe. If any player was asked about a bonus point win I guarantee they'd shoot down the idea immediately and bang on about victory being the only goal etc.
    We are streets better than this Italian team even on their best day.
    If I was betting (I'm not) I'd have a sizeable double on Ireland-19 & Australia to beat England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Just win the game!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

We need to be realistic here. I'm all for not getting ahead of ourselves etc but...

We should HOCKEY this Italy team. Anything less than a 20 point margin will be a failure.

The other likely contenders for the RWC would put 50 points on them, we should be aiming to do likewise if we want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I would like:

1. The win
    2. No injuries
    3. Bonus point

in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

We don't need a bp win. Assuming we win, then we will have a better points difference and more tries scored that France. So basically, just win and we have the advantage if the French game ends in a draw (unless the French score 4 tries...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement