Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

A fit & firing Earls starts @ 11 for Ireland almost every time.

Is he firing though?

.ak wrote: »
    Is he firing though?

Dunno yet. He looked good v Sale. Not finished proving himself though. That's why I think he'll play Friday.

If he doesn't do great, Zebo starts @ 11 for Ireland, also in good form (and had a good game when the match was competitive @15) but Zebo doesn't seem to quite be at "Top Earls" level of ability yet, and so loses out to him if Earls can prove fitness and no rust.

Dunno yet. He looked good v Sale. Not finished proving himself though. That's why I think he'll play Friday.

If he doesn't do great, Zebo starts @ 11 for Ireland, also in good form (and had a good game when the match was competitive @15) but Zebo doesn't seem to quite be at "Top Earls" level of ability yet, and so loses out to him if Earls can prove fitness and no rust.

Absolutely, that was my original point - if he plays well in the wolfhounds, great. But if he doesn't have a stellar performance I can see him struggling to get into the 23, despite us all knowing he has a far higher ceiling then some of the current options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

A fit & firing Earls starts @ 11 for Ireland almost every time.

See, the problem here is that Earls has never been fit under Joe.

He was an automatic pick under Kidney but we just don't know how the current coach regards him. Personally, I think he has the attributes that Joe likes in terms of work rate etc, and obviously he's a great attacker, but it's a stretch to say that if he's fit, he starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Not sure why people think Earls will be near the match day team. I have a feeling he could be sent back to Munster....I see all of the following ahead of him in the picking.

Everyone seems to forget before injury McFadden was one of Joe's favorites for the wing. With it looking like Bowe is nailed on for one wing then I can see Kearney/Zebo/McFadden all ahead of Earls.

Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)
    Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

i think earls needs to complete a few 80 minutes for munster to get into the national XV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sh3m

Yeah but look at it this way. Schmidt didn't feature Zebo for the first raft of games under his remit despite him being fit. There was a whole ****storm over that, but the reality is he asked him to do something and to go away and improve it. He came back, did what the coach asked him, and now what, the coach drops him at the first opportunity? Look, I think Earls is a far, far better winger than Zebo but I don't think Earls has been back long enough and playing enough for Schmidt to warrant dropping Zebo without causing a rift there.

But maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not so sure Zebo changed what needed changing to make him a starting option though in relation to other options he was previously overlooked for. He became a possible international starter because of injury.

That's not to say he hasn't improved and doesn't deserve it or isn't good enough but if Earls (Who you say is a far far better winger) is fit and training well I don't see any reason why Joe would start Zebo over him just because he'd improved from where he previously was while still not really being as good as other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

See, the problem here is that Earls has never been fit under Joe.

He was an automatic pick under Kidney but we just don't know how the current coach regards him. Personally, I think he has the attributes that Joe likes in terms of work rate etc, and obviously he's a great attacker, but it's a stretch to say that if he's fit, he starts.

To be fair, I think what Emmet meant is that if he was fit he has the quality to be a sure-thing, rather than making a comment on what he think Joe will do.

I'd completely agree there, I really hope we get to see it during this championship.

.ak, not quoting your post out of laziness, but I don't want anyone retained on loyalty or as a reward for anything. We should be selecting the XV that gives us the best chance to beat our opposition every week. Joe has never had trouble being ruthless in the past, and explaining himself, and it would probably be better for Zebo if he said "we are going with Keith because he gives us X, Y and Z against Team A, we think you offer us 1, 2 and 3, but this week, as you know, we're looking for X, Y and Z." That sort of environment is better for everyone, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. Earls is a far more balanced player than Zebo I reckon, and Joe seems to like that. His injury might delay his return to the match-day squad, but that's about it. For me all fit and firing I'd go with:

09. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Earls
    12. Henshaw
    13. Fitz
    14. Bowe
    15. R Kearney

21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. Payne

Zebo, Dave & Ferg miss out because we have quality wing cover in Fitzy and Payne can over centre & full-back better than any other option.

Was half wondering whether the 'Joe Schmidt curve ball' will be Fitz at 12 and Henshaw at 13? Despite all the injuries, Fitz has that bit more experience overall than Henshaw, including at 12 - didn't he play there before for Leinster and/or Ireland a few times? He has familiarty playing outside Madigan recently, albeit at 12/13 and not 10/12. And it leaves Henshaw where he played most recently for Ireland. Either way, agreed with most posters that it would be a lovely midfield combo to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Was half wondering whether the 'Joe Schmidt curve ball' will be Fitz at 12 and Henshaw at 13? Despite all the injuries, Fitz has that bit more experience overall than Henshaw, including at 12 - didn't he play there before for Leinster and/or Ireland a few times? He has familiarty playing outside Madigan recently, albeit at 12/13 and not 10/12. And it leaves Henshaw where he played most recently for Ireland. Either way, agreed with most posters that it would be a lovely midfield combo to see.

Can't fault the logic there I suppose. I'm not sure I mind which way around they play, I just think it's the form midfield at the moment. That said it doesnt mean they'll get selected.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its whats seen behind closed doors in training sessions that will determine if earls gets a team spot or not.
    while what earls did against sale wont do him any harm, i cant see there being any brownie points in it for him.

• Advertisement

956334.jpg

Encouraging?

Seanie didn't ease up on the gym work while he was off anyway.

956325.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

956334.jpg

Encouraging?

show me a picture of him being tackled and I will be happy.

show me a picture of him being tackled and I will be happy.

Sadistic.

Seanie didn't ease up on the gym work while he was off anyway.

956325.jpg

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

RTE: Conor Murray and Eoin Reddan set to be fit for start of Six Nations. Sean O'Brien trained fully today, likely to play vs England Saxons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Spud83 wrote: »
    RTE: Conor Murray and Eoin Reddan set to be fit for start of Six Nations. Sean O'Brien trained fully today, likely to play vs England Saxons.

Too much good news, I'm suspicious.

Eoin McKeon was training today too, wasn't in in the initial squad.

Interesting, DK is with the Irish camp... Would've assumed he'd be released for Leinster to look after. Maybe the injury isn't as bad as feared?

INPHO_00888015.jpg

Also ER is in full training kit here, including compression leggings so one would assume he's doing some sort of leg work, also encouraging.

INPHO_00887971.jpg

Actually that's a great pic that shows rugby is still for people of different shapes and sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

What's the word on Healy? Likely to feature v Saxons? Even from the bench?

• Advertisement

What's the word on Healy? Likely to feature v Saxons? Even from the bench?

Looks like he trained today, but no pics of contact etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

tumblr_myqkpil2tv1syv0zno1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Seanie looks like he packed on even more muscle than he had be before. Jaysus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

INPHO_00887971.jpg

Actually that's a great pic that shows rugby is still for people of different shapes and sizes.

None of them are fat... :(

Teferi wrote: »
    Seanie looks like he packed on even more muscle than he had be before. Jaysus.

Indeed. He was listed at 18st but I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 20 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Indeed. He was listed at 18st but I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 20 there.

I remember seeing that picture of him doing a lap of Aviva before Leinster's captains run and thought he had wintered too well and looked prime ready for a move to the front-row. One month later and :eek:

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also ER is in full training kit here, including compression leggings so one would assume he's doing some sort of leg work, also encouraging.
    Or else he's just wearing tights cause it's cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is it Christmas again?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sean O'Brien's been at the spuds...

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    I remember seeing that picture of him doing a lap of Aviva before Leinster's captains run and thought he had wintered too well and looked prime ready for a move to the front-row. One month later and :eek:

Dirty bulking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement