Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hidden Impact: Rugby & Concussion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

zymar wrote: »
    there is definetly more being done which is great but there is always going to be accidental collisions, head on head/neck, knee on head/neck and the clearing out in the ruck is always a big hit.
    why are there not more players wearing scrum caps ? even for protection from ending up with the dreaded cauliflower ears !! ?

Scrum caps don't offer protection against concussion.

The cauliflower ear epidemic however is a very grave situation that's just being swept under the carpet by World Rugby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The cauliflower ear epidemic however is a very grave situation that's just being swept under the carpet by World Rugby.

I was looking at PoC's ears during a presser the other day and I was wondering... can he hear properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Yeah, the more people talk about their own experiences with concussion the more it becomes clear that the 10 minute thing is a load of rubbish. They just wanted to be seen to be doing something.
    It's a difficult one to do anything about because, as pointed out last night, you don't have to get an actual blow to the head to get a concussion. I think that's where the Kinetics of Concussion research Leinster and TCD are doing comes in.

what figure did they put on it last night, i remember they said something about hits in the chest area causing a fairly high percentage of concussions from the head being jerked violently after a heavy hit without any contact to the head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

y club has been on this issue for that last year or so. We've good communication structures with monthly meetings for all coaches and regular speakers at these meetings.
    There is a history of some spinal injuries going back to the 80's so perhaps there is more awareness.
    We have a documented injury policy which has to be recored with the Child welfare officer and my own age group communicates with the GAA coaches to ensure they're aware and vice versa of any knocks.
    Any head knocks during games or training means they're out for the rest of the day and parents are informed and we recommend they get them checked out. We give them the lttle IRFU card for symptoms and follow up with a call in 24hrs.
    i have got it in the ear on three occasions when I've told parents their kid has to take a week or two off as they had knocks before. my own lad has had two concussions both at rugby but neither on a the pitch (he was messing) so 23 days off sport.
    I'm still coaching minis and its not competitive but if someone is prepared to risk a person child or not over a result you really need to question their suitability to be involved in sport at any level.
    Michael aragh Mcauley was the player who was concussed in All Ireland final two years ago. i'd imagine there are more concussions in rugby but hopefully we are addressing it.
    Re tackling i have my doubts whether lowering the level of the tackle will impact ac the head will be hitting hard pointy things like hips and knees at a lower level too.

aimee1 wrote: »
    what figure did they put on it last night, i remember they said something about hits in the chest area causing a fairly high percentage of concussions from the head being jerked violently after a heavy hit without any contact to the head

I can't remember the exact figures but I was watching both of today's matches through very different eyes. The incident in the Canada match where Romania's 15 was yellow carded, for example. The guy didn't hit his head but he fell from about 5 foot in the air and landed with a thud.

• Advertisement

I was looking at PoC's ears during a presser the other day and I was wondering... can he hear properly?

he used to wear a scrumcap earlier in his career too.

shaungil wrote: »
    i have got it in the ear on three occasions when I've told parents their kid has to take a week or two off as they had knocks before. my own lad has had two concussions both at rugby but neither on a the pitch (he was messing) so 23 days off sport.

You should call all the parents in and show them this documentary, even just the section with Ben Robinson's mother. They'll soon stop giving out.

aimee1 wrote: »
    he used to wear a scrumcap earlier in his career too.

I can never understand backs wearing scrum caps. Are you likely to get cauliflower ears from occasionally lying at the bottom of a ruck?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just watched that there, decent watch and interesting to learn a few facts about it. I've had 3 concussions in the past year, two rugby related and one just out of pure stupidity where I hit my head off a wall. Definitely gonna start wrapping my head in bubble wrap.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Just watched that there, decent watch and interesting to learn a few facts about it. I've had 3 concussions in the past year, two rugby related and one just out of pure stupidity where I hit my head off a wall. Definitely gonna start wrapping my head in bubble wrap.

you should just buy the new wales kit ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 zymar

I wasn't implying that the scrum caps offer protection against concussion but sure it must be a help if you are on the receiving end of head strike to facial area. Does the cauliflower deformed ears effect hearing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

y club has been on this issue for that last year or so. We've good communication structures with monthly meetings for all coaches and regular speakers at these meetings.
    There is a history of some spinal injuries going back to the 80's so perhaps there is more awareness.
    We have a documented injury policy which has to be recored with the Child welfare officer and my own age group communicates with the GAA coaches to ensure they're aware and vice versa of any knocks.
    Any head knocks during games or training means they're out for the rest of the day and parents are informed and we recommend they get them checked out. We give them the lttle IRFU card for symptoms and follow up with a call in 24hrs.
    I'm still coaching minis and its not competitive but if someone is prepared to risk a person child or not over a result you really need to question their suitability to be involved in sport at any level.
    Michael aragh Mcauley was the player who was concussed in All Ireland final two years ago. i'd imagine there are more concussions in rugby but hopefully we are addressing it.
    Re tackling i have my doubts whether lowering the level of the tackle will impact ac the head will be hitting hard pointy things like hips and knees at a lower level too.

Well done to you and your club. Unfortunately, because this is mostly volunteers I think there are a few set ups that aren't at your standard. Keep spreading the Gospel.

Where is your club if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

zymar wrote: »
    I wasn't implying that the scrum caps offer protection against concussion but sure it must be a help if you are on the receiving end of head strike to facial area. Does the cauliflower deformed ears effect hearing ?

Cauliflower ears are a direct result of scrummaging. It's endemic amongst locks and front rows. Scrum caps help a bit but aren't fully effective. Cauliflower ears are basically a bruise that separates the cartilage from the rest of the ear and causes it to die. The result is a permanently swollen ear.

As a protection against concussion, the scrum cap is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. It may prevent soft tissue injuries from impacts, but it will not stop the brain from bouncing around the skull or even reduce it. American football helmets don't prevent concussion and they provide far more protection than a scrum cap.

Well done to you and your club. Unfortunately, because this is mostly volunteers I think there are a few set ups that aren't at your standard. Keep spreading the Gospel.

Where is your club if you don't mind me asking?
    Skerries. We also have a coach who is a medical expert and works for World Rugby so he's a brilliant resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Skerries. We also have a coach who is a medical expert and works for World Rugby so he's a brilliant resource.

Mark something or other? One of the best coaches in Dublin.

Mark something or other? One of the best coaches in Dublin.

That's him.

Advertisement