Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Kayak. Sit-On-Top?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I want to get into kayaking. I was out on a sit-on-top kayak at the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I was looking at buying one like this. I'll mostly be paddling on the canals and maybe a few lakes, and the sea every now and again. I won't be going near rivers or playing water polo so I think this boat will be suitable. Am I right or am I better off going for a normal kayak? I've never used a spray-deck before so I'd rather use the sit-on-top kayak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

If your only going to be on flat water a sit-on-top would be fine. just be weary cause the sea isn't always flat and even if it is currents and such can still be far stronger than you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Storm99

I recently bought a sit on top and it's great, but I cant find a club that does lake paddling and sea surfing for it near dublin/kildare area, if anyone knows of one that will take a begginer, please let me know !!!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Hi,

Just new to the forum, so just saw your posting.

I started kayaking this year also. I used a sit-on before and found it fine for flat water canals & lakes (but only on a calm day and only for gentle paddling!) When it's chucking it down or you're going for it through choppy water I'd rather be in a proper sit-in boat with a spraydeck, you'd be amazed how much water you stir up while paddling and the deck keeps you dry.
    I bought a sit-in boat (second hand) earlier this year. Have used it up and down the canals all summer. had it on Lough Ennell outside Mullingar on a couple of windy days as well, you'd be glad of the spray deck then!!
    Also for balance:- when the waters a bit choppy, it's better to be sat in the boat with your legs jammed hard in as this keeps the boat stable and straight (leg straps are good!).

Hope this helps! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

I'm going to buy a sit-on one this Autum/Winter for me and my son, he will be 2.5 yrs next summer. Any advice re.makes/models?? (Calm sea & Lakes)

Thanks in advance..:)

Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

Presume you're looking for a 2 seater so?
    Can highly recommend the Malibu 2 although it's a bit cumbersome for one person to lift on their own, can't see the 2½ year old helping you to throw it on the roofrack? Handy if you have another adult with you too. A friend of mine had one, it was huge, but extremely stable and buoyant. We used it on a flatwater section of the Boyne, Broadmeadows estuary and on the sea between Malahide and Portmarnock. A smaller more lightweight tandem that I believe is quiet good, is the Emotion Tandemonium, similar in character, stable and excellent tracking or the Co-motion, lighter and more maneuverable, easy and fun to surf.

(For a single seater kayak, the Frenzy is deadly, or the Emotion Charger.)

I was thinking of starting a club for sit on tops, as there are none anywhere in the country. It would be great to meet with other like minded individuals to get out for a lazy Sunday afternoon paddle. The problem is that the Irish Canoe Union don't recognise sit ons as proper canoes, they're not allowed to enter the Liffey descent or any other comps, which is fair enough really - I think those that buy a sit on, just want a leisurely paddle anyway and nothing too serious.

Personally I started out on a sit on 3 years ago, moved onto a Canadian canoe, then a sit in touring kayak and now have a playboat for serious surfin etc. However, I was always the most comfortable back in the sit on and I think that's what I'lll eventually return to - when I have a few pennies again! The most important thing, as already stated, is join a club, learn how to read a river etc. - Jaysis, I did some really stupid things on the water before I learned and realized the risk I put myself at. All in all, it's a great way to get out in the fresh air, get some sort of exercise, meet new people and have a bit o' craic!

• Advertisement

Hi Lank,
    If you set up a sit on top club can you let me know !!! my email is info@stormmotorcycles.com

Thanks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Hi all,
    I too am close to buying a sit on top. I have been looking at the Perception Scooter which seems to be a bit of an all rounder. Its purely for fun and nothing too serious. I'm into sea kayaking for the serious stuff.

Anyway I was hoping to use the SOT mainly in the surf. Anybody got any experiences of surfing the SOT's?

Also would any of you guys know decent places to paddle safely on a SOT in the Kildare/Laois area.

I have a fair idea of good coastal locations but I'm a dud for rivers and lakes.

Hi Setanta,
    I bought the Perception Scooter. it's a great boat. I am also stuck for a club and places to go. If you want to try it out before you buy your own, just give me a shout and you can have a go on mine. I am in Kildare region also and your more than welcome to have a go on my kayak before you buy your own !, it would be handy to have someone else to go paddling with in absence of a sit on top club !!!

my mail is info@stormmotorcycles.com

cheers

All systems go!!
    We are going for our first group paddle, this Saturday, 18th Oct 2008.

We have 4 sit ons and a canadian, and myself in a sit in kayak confirmed. I also have a sit in freestyle kayak and a sit on to spare (Emotion Charger).
    If you would like more information, then please send me a message with your email address and I'll forward the details onto you.

Sounds Good!! I've a sit-in 10.5' Dagger which I use for the sea & inland lakes - ANY ROOM FOR ME????

If so I'll send you me e-mail address

Cheers

• Advertisement

Steve.N wrote: »
    ANY ROOM FOR ME????
    Sounds like a Blackwater, a red one?
    Certainly welcome along. There is one other in the group with same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the drift

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I want to get into kayaking. I was out on a sit-on-top kayak at the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I was looking at buying one like this. I'll mostly be paddling on the canals and maybe a few lakes, and the sea every now and again. I won't be going near rivers or playing water polo so I think this boat will be suitable. Am I right or am I better off going for a normal kayak? I've never used a spray-deck before so I'd rather use the sit-on-top kayak.

I think you should go wwith what your comfortable with if you're just looking for a little gentle paddling, nothing too challenging. I prefer a spray deck and pedal operated rudder myself, even for calm lakes, but would feel a little hemmed in at my level (I've still to master an Eskimo roll) on a choppy sea . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

has this club taken off??
    where is the best place to pick up a good second-hand kayak?

conno16 wrote: »

We've demoted ourselves to a Group, rather than a club. the intricacies of officially setting up a club are too cumbersome for (this) one person to manage; volunteers, as always, are in short supply. So we are a group of 'recreational paddlers' who get together from time to time for the odd paddle. One of the group has progressed into sit in river running kayaks and has joined the same club I'm already a member of, which is great, he'll get to learn a lot more about the water, with more experienced paddlers and be better off for it, fair play to ye Steve!

As for 2nd hand kayaks, there's always something in Buy and Sell online and eBay. But to be honest, there's some great deals on new kayaks too, especially if you're willing to travel up North or over to Britain, I just bought a load of watersports gear in England last week for two thirds of what you'd pay here for it - patriotic shopping me arse, I'm patriotic to me wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I have advertised my Ocean Fenzy sit on kayak for sale on adverts.ie.
    If you search in the general section you will see it.
    It is new and never used.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=87088&cat=32

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

conno16 wrote: »

www.irishfreestyle.com forums are a good place to start.

anyone know what the site is for the irish kayaking club?
    apparently they do start up and intermediate courses?

has anyone completed one? they seem like decent value and give ya all the equipment etc in order for you to test the waters so to speak without making any huge investment up front

canoe.ie stuff i was referring to - anyone gone through this
    pros and cons?

Canoeing Ireland at www.canoe.ie
    Contact conor@canoe.ie or have a look on their website.
    I did an introductory course with Conor 2 yrs ago. Picked up a few basics, enough to get me going, but to be honest any kayak club will do the same for you. Most clubs will have some gear that they can lend you whilst you pick up the skills and you can try out different boats, so you have a better idea of what you need when it comes to buying your own. My club; Silver Bridge Kayak Club, regularily do introductory days on the Boyne near Slane, check them out on www.sbkc.ie, it's a good fun club, nice bunch of peeps, young & old, big n small etc. They're Drogheda/Navan based, but members come from all over the country to paddle with the gang.

There's a full list of clubs on www.canoe.ie , so you might find one local to wherever you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

This group still going? Myself and the g/f are taking up kayaking (we'll be on/in??:confused: sit in's, looking seriously at dagger approach 10')

doing the canoe union course starting off next wednesday. that's on for 5 weeks but obviously we'd like to be able to continue this with groups at similar levels to ourselves.

• Advertisement

Dagger Approach are great boats! You will be able to do a variety of different paddling from lakes to the sea to easy stretches of Rivers such as the Boyne (Trim to Navan section).
    Lank got me introduced to the Silver Bridge Club in Drogheda last Nov - The best thing I did was to join a good club as you can learn so much from more experienced paddlers. As he said, any good club will teach you the things you will learn on any official course, they also have a variety of club boats to try.
    I started with a Dagger Blackwater 10.5' and used it for lakes and the sea. I used it on the Boyne a few times (it's ok on easy sections, but anything with weirs etc it's too long) so I've now got a Dagger GTX - Although I still have my trusty Blackwater for any day trips away that involve covering a bit of distance.
    As well as going out with the club, We also regulary go up to Laytown to play on the surf - the 'Approach' would be great for this.

You're welcome to join us anytime!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I'm in Leixlip, we have a club here but they seem to be more competitive based than the recreational, which we're looking for, for now at any rate. not gonna rule out races if that's the natural progression, but for now it's river runs, lakes, and sea play, or at least it will be after the course.

Would the Approach be ok for weirs or would they be a bit too long/dodgy?
    I have to admit i like the idea of the hatch fo the touring/basic rec stuff, and it seems a good type of boat for a starter until we know what we want to do more of.

I thought there's two clubs in Lexlip - Not sure??
    There's also a club in Trim - a good recreational club.
    I found the Dagger OK on easy stretches, but they're really not suited for fast flowing rivers with weirs (Although I've did the Navan to Slane section with 6 weirs in my Blackwater :eek: - Not recommended though!!).
    The longer boats take too long to turn, in rivers you need a nimble boat.

Am a SOT owner myself who loves a bit of harmless surfing out west and paddling down the barrow and canals around Kildare/Laois.

Anyone know of any other good spots for a bit of gentle touring and launch points on lakes in the midlands or north midlands eg Westmeath.

Would be nice to be in some sort of group even just for car drops on river trips. Kinda hard paddling upstream back to the car :)

Hi setanta74,

What type of boat did you buy in the end?

SteveN's the man for you, he loves water, if he can't get enough then he'll just pop on out of the kayak and take a swim - regularily - only jokin' Stevie!

I'm thinkin we should all head out together at some stage or at least just meet up. Midland lakes near Mullingar, or some lovely routes near Leitrim, Cavan, Killeshandra etc.
    Just takin it easy, maybe hit a lake, bring a barbie & a few tins of pop, nothing too serious - see how it goes from there. All boats welcome, sit ons , ins, fall outs, etc.

Say the last weekend of the month. Saturday 27th or Sun 28th June - any takers?

Dave

Good Man Lank :cool: At Least my roll is 99% sorted!!! :p

There's loads of good lakes around the Westmeath area. I usually use Lough Lene (outside Delvin - head for Collinstown)/ Lough Derravaragh (Outside Crookedwood - get in is on the Castlepollard rd at Gartlandstown)/ Lough Owel (Just outside Mullingar)/ Lough Ennel (Again outside Mullingar - head for Belvedere house - get in is next turn after Belvedere house).
    All these lakes are very good and will give a good challenging workout. They're safe enough even on your own as long as you stay near the shore as it's not deep in these parts at all.

Lank - What about the weekend before your dates - 19th/ 20th or 21st OR 28th??????????
    What boat are you using these days for long distance?

All Sit-ons or enclosed yaks are welcome - the more the merrier!!

Steve.

Thanks for the replies. Some good info. there. Got a Perception Scooter and I love it. Actually heading down the barrow for a spin sunday morning nice and early.

A meet up sounds great only I'm kinda booked out for the next few weekends. If you guys pick a date I'll just try my best to make it. Even if I dont get the June date I'll try and get another time.

Actually turns out I might be able to do sunday 28th. Are we on?

Steve.N wrote: »
    Good Man Lank :cool: At Least my roll is 99% sorted!!! :p

There's loads of good lakes around the Westmeath area. I usually use Lough Lene (outside Delvin - head for Collinstown)/ Lough Derravaragh (Outside Crookedwood - get in is on the Castlepollard rd at Gartlandstown)
    All these lakes are very good and will give a good challenging workout. They're safe enough even on your own as long as you stay near the shore as it's not deep in these parts at all.

Lank - What about the weekend before your dates - 19th/ 20th or 21st OR 28th??????????
    What boat are you using these days for long distance?

All Sit-ons or enclosed yaks are welcome - the more the merrier!!

Steve.
    setanta74 wrote: »
    Actually turns out I might be able to do sunday 28th. Are we on?

What boat am I using? Jayz, I only have one boat! However, I'd probably bring the club Canadian, myself and one other are getting a bit of practice in it, tis our boat of choice for the Liffey Descent this year - we're gonna get so drowned! I don't think we'll limit this to any particular type of boats, everybody welcome, recreational paddlings the name of the game, be it a Canadian or a couple of barrels and an oul wooden pallet!

This Lough Lene spot sounds good and comes highly recommended. I can make it for an early one on Sunday 21st (working Sunday night) or anytime Sat & Sun the following week or both!

Anyone else interested? Preferences for any of these dates?

• Advertisement

28th is what I can do. I'll put the word out to one or two others I know as well.

Advertisement