Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surf kayaking advice.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cecil Mor viewpost.gif
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055828999

If you are going to be entering the surf where there are other surfers out than you should be familiar & know proper surf etiquette.
    Always give consideration to others and until you are confident avoid busy spots and surf down the beach by yourself.

Generally you will not have the same level of control on a sit-on-top as you would a surf or whitewater kayak however for smaller & mushy surf you'll be grand.

It nice that you just assumed I was going to be getting in the way of the surfers. I am nowhere near them and if one comes near me I feck off away from them.

I never assumed you were going to be getting in the way of other surfers.

I posted "If you are going to be entering the surf where there are other surfers out"

You are however using Strandhill which can be very busy at times with users up & down the beach and as you said you often loose your sit-on-top, after which you have no control as to where it goes or who it clobbers.
    Kayakers generally have an awful rep in the line-up and its due to inexperienced kayakers with no idea of proper surf etiquette who turn up and piss everyone else off.
    You asked for advice and you got it, don't moan if ya don't like what you get.

Try Streedagh Strand instead of Strandhill, smaller more manageable surf, incredibly long beach with many less on it.

Also Rosses Point is another good option. No surf but you still need to get the basic principals down rather than just charging into the surf and getting stomped.

Lastly consider joining the above mentioned kayak club.
    If you want to really learn thats the way to go, if you don't want to learn than you'll just be another kook in the line-up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Slidey wrote: »
    Thanks for also assuming that I just get in everyones way.
    after nearly 15 years of boating, i am free to assume what i like. i have seen it all at this stage. all other surf users hate kayakers, for the very reasons your actions are the embodyment of. take the good advice freely given here by people who have far more knowledge and experience in the area of kayaking, or dont. but dont bother getting defensive if people dont go along with the retarded idea that grommets on sit-on-tops with their paddle tied all over the place, in a clearly advertised as dangerous surf location is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Some people are being a bit too harsh on Slidy here, In fairness he got very conflicting advise from people he doesn't know on the internet and then got told something by a supposed expert in a retail outlet so it's reasonably to do what he did! There's no reason to believe that he was breaking surf etiquette!

Nonetheless the advise on here is spot on, probably best get in with a group of more experienced kayakers and learn from them. And for Gods sake ditch the paddle/boat leash idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Mod hat on: Less personal and more about the topic.(cut it out before it gets too far)Mod hat off.

As a paddler who is out there, it is very hard to deal with conflicting advice, internet or not. It depends on your standard and what your trying to do compared to the standard of the person giving the advice and what they paddle. A paddle leash is a life saver out to sea but can be lethal inshore or on rivers (yes I have seen them on rivers too). This holds true of nearly every bit of kit on a paddler or boat. Hanging out with a club or a bunch of other paddlers is the fastest route to learn. That said, some people don't play well with others and are happy out on their own. :)

The surf zone has gotten very crowded in the last few years and this is not helped by all shapes and sizes of kayaker going out and boardies culture of being territorial. The rules are simple and on nearly every surf site out there. I am sure someone more into surfing than I will start a new thread. Other than that I am not sure what can be done. There will always be newbies on the water in all sorts of boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Cecil Mor wrote: »

I am actually going to start a thread on here with the rules of surfing from the above link (cool pictures). And yes I am going to edit out rule 11. :)

Just for ease of finding and linking to it in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had unsubed from the thread as I was getting annoyed but decided to pop my head back in.

As has been said, there was some very conflicting advice. At the end of the day I was only trying to do my own thing out there without getting in anyones way.

Thanks to those who voiced their opinion, I will take all suggestions on board.

Advertisement