Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this seems like a savage idea

Comments

I don't get it. What's so special about that electrical cable?

And to answer your question, yes, I'm pretty sure over here in this country we have various retailers that sell all manners of different gauges of electrical wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 throwaway657yf

I don't get it. What's so special about that electrical cable?

And to answer your question, yes, I'm pretty sure over here in this country we have various retailers that sell all manners of different gauges of electrical wiring.

the fact that it has cat5 running alongside the the 3 core, you know eliminating the need for 2 cables to be run together, from an ev point, and im open to correction from those more knowledgeable but this may eliminate the need for priority units as the charger could preform its own energy monitoring via the cat cable turning the unit on/off based on energy demand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

Efixx did a couple of videos on it recently.

Handy also for bringing Ethernet out to your garden shed build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

the fact that it has cat5 running alongside the the 3 core, you know eliminating the need for 2 cables to be run together, from an ev point, and im open to correction from those more knowledgeable but this may eliminate the need for priority units as the charger could preform its own energy monitoring via the cat cable turning the unit on/off based on energy demand

I would say it has a limited specific use with the single pair

I'm trying to think what you mean about energy monitoring and priority units but it's making my head spin

Terry.. wrote: »
    I would say it has a limited specific use with the single pair

I'm trying to think what you mean about energy monitoring and priority units but it's making my head spin

take a 2 shower sfor example, a priority Board is designed so that when shower no.1 is in operation, shower no.2 will become turn off and will not operate until shower no.1 is off, i would see the cat cable being used in a similar use when connected to a energy monitor, so when there is no load the ev charger would turn on and then when a load is detected it would turn off so as not to blow a main fuse or cause a trip

• Advertisement

I only know a little from the electrical end, not much on car charger

What's currently the MPD(main mcb) will become the Main Distribution Board distributing to the house and the car charging

I presume there will be a unit outside the cabinet for 2 or more cars and the main installation load takes priority whatever way they work it

Originally the meter cabinet contained the fused cutout and the meter

The isolator and the MPD came later

The meter cabinet is pretty much not fit for purpose with regards to equipment

I assume what they'll do is fit a Main distribution board in the cabinet with a main protective device and 2 switches for the house and charging

A unit mounted outside the cabinet for the car charging

Not too sure on the load switching side of it

Terry.. wrote: »
    Originally the meter cabinet contained the fused cutout and the meter

The isolator and the MPD came later

The meter cabinet is pretty much not fit for purpose with regards to equipment

I assume what they'll do is fit a Main distribution board in the cabinet with a main protective device and 2 switches for the house and charging

A unit mounted outside the cabinet for the car charging

Not too sure on the load switching side of it

i think someone mentioned it here about a month ago that ev isolation/sub board can be fitted inside the cabinet

i think someone mentioned it here about a month ago that ev isolation/sub board can be fitted inside the cabinet

There'll likely be Emergency Switching for car charging needed outside the cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

You put a CT clamp on the tails to measure the current being drawn - this is communicated over the cat cable to the charger which is configured to throttle itself and charge slower if the current draw goes over a certain amount (determined based on size of main fuse, load profile etc).

Given that you would have the feed to car charger and the data cable from the ct both going from consumer unit to charger, I makes sense to have them in the same sheath and therefore only need to run a single cable - bearing in mind that given the size of conductors required for EV chargers + the fact that they are usually outside, its probably going to be a fairly unwieldy SWA cable.

Using a priority board would mean you could either run your electric shower OR your EV charger NOT both simultaneously.
    This way, you can shower without unplugging your car just that the car charges slower while running the shower

• Advertisement

jumbone wrote: »
    You put a CT clamp on the tails to measure the current being drawn - this is communicated over the cat cable to the charger which is configured to throttle itself and charge slower if the current draw goes over a certain amount (determined based on size of main fuse, load profile etc).

Given that you would have the feed to car charger and the data cable from the ct both going from consumer unit to charger, I makes sense to have them in the same sheath and therefore only need to run a single cable - bearing in mind that given the size of conductors required for EV chargers + the fact that they are usually outside, its probably going to be a fairly unwieldy SWA cable.

Using a priority board would mean you could either run your electric shower OR your EV charger NOT both simultaneously.
    This way, you can shower without unplugging your car just that the car charges slower while running the shower

Off the top of my head when I thought about that one recently

I just assumed the main installation would take priority over the car charging at all times really

Is there any issue with throttling car charging

Advertisement