Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinghy sailing on Lough Forbes from Rinn Marina

Options
  • 13-06-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anybody been dinghy sailing on Lough Forbes (or anywhere nearby) as thinking of keeping a boat in the Rinn Marina?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Nice little lake but you would be very limited on where you could go. Lough Ree would be a better option or if you want to stay closer you could try Lough Boderg & Bofin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nikersh

Thanks Donie75 - have you sailed Lough Forbes, Boderg & Bofin? If so what did you sail them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi Nikersh,
    I have sailed and raced all my life on Lough Ree but I know the rest of the Shannon very well from motor cruising. I definitely sailed a laser dinghy on Bofin/Boderg years ago.
    What sort of boat are you interested in buying? A trailerable dinghy or small 18-22ft cruiser might be an option.
    Lift keel and a mast that is easy to drop would make an ideal boat to explore the whole inland waterways.

Originally thought a stable, but not tippy, trailerable dinghy that would take a small outboard or best could keep ashore in Rinn Marina, or a good marina to sail from nearish to Newtownforbes, but would need to be able to launch and retrieve on my own. But also tempted by a small cruiser as you say with lifting keep and tabernacle mast. Just to add I will be sailing solo. So many great options to think about!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No connection, but this boat would be worth a look. That's a good price for these boats. If I was in the market myself I'd have it (subject to details being correct).

https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/drascombe-dabber-for-sale/666798

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for that and I really like Drascombes. Saw this that looks great as well but never came across a Haven before https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/herreshoff-haven-for-sale/665625

Advertisement