Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to remove kitchen counter top without destroying it?

• 04-06-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there,

I want to replace my kitchen counter but at the same time I want to salvage the old one.

Is there a way to do this without destroying the old one that I want to remove? Are kitchen counter tops usually nailed down and that's why it's difficult to salvage them when you're trying to remove them? You basically have to use a crowbar and pry them up and there's no way to not damage it?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

It’s usually screwed down. Keep the cro bars for demo work.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

Fils wrote: »
    It’s usually screwed down. Keep the cro bars for demo work.
    How do you get access to the screws though?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1percent

segosego89 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I want to replace my kitchen counter but at the same time I want to salvage the old one.

Is there a way to do this without destroying the old one that I want to remove? Are kitchen counter tops usually nailed down and that's why it's difficult to salvage them when you're trying to remove them? You basically have to use a crowbar and pry them up and there's no way to not damage it?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

There should be little L brackets on the underside securing it to the structure beneath. Pull out the drawers or open the press doors and stick your head in and look up. Probably front and back at the ends and maybe a few in the middle depending how long it is

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Generally screwed and glued down.

Screws can be brackets but can also be up through frames in the door.

1percent wrote: »
    There should be little L brackets on the underside securing it to the structure beneath. Pull out the drawers or open the press doors and stick your head in and look up. Probably front and back at the ends and maybe a few in the middle depending how long it is
    When I pull out the drawers I can see screws underneath on the side that is nearest to me but I can't see and screws furthest away from me? I can imagine myself unscrewing the near side and being able to lift it up but I'm wondering how do I lift up the other side? Is it possible that the other side is secured down with glue? So I guess I could unscrew everything and then try to pry up the other side with a paint scraper/crowbar in a gentle manner?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Generally screwed and glued down.

Screws can be brackets but can also be up through frames in the door.
    Yeah the screws seem to be going through the frame of the door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

Just took off my kitchen worktop yesterday, it was secured as said by small little L shaped brackets, in random places so need to look all around inside presses, once you release a few you can kind of figure out where the others are by where there is resistance when you lift.

Advertisement