Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Epsom Oaks/Derby Meeting

• 01-06-2021 10:53am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Oaks on Friday and Derby on Saturday. Both races off at 4:30pm on either day.

I’ve backed Noon Star for the Oaks. Feel like she’ll relish this step up in trip. Behind Snowfall the last day who for me stole the race from the front. 12/1 with 365

I’ve backed High Definition (5/1) for the Derby. Got going late in the Dante and like Noon Star I think he’ll love this step up in trip. Bolshoi Ballet has looked brilliant in his last 2 but think he’s more of a mile and a quarter horse rather than a mile and a half and is too short in price for me.

I’ve also had an each way bet on Southern Lights @50s a couple of months ago. 6th behind Bolshoi Ballet in the derrinstown but his run was stopped in the last furlong. I think he would’ve got 2nd with a clear passage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Looking forward to it. I'm very disappointed that Love is out of the Coronation Cup. Couldn't be having the terrible twins of Japan and Mogul, they could do anything or absolutely nothing.

Hope Broome runs in the Coronation to keep everything honest. I will put a small bet on Serpentine if he runs, horses for courses ;)

I've backed MacSwiney for the Derby, I fancied him since his Racing post win and he's improved since. In a field full of maybe horses he's the proven horse.

Bolshoi Ballet is a smashing group winner, this is a big step up and he's very short in the betting. A more on song High Definition could easily swallow all but the best of horses in the last furlong ( a hold up Epsom Derby ride that Ryan Moore has been dreaming of for years and will probably miss out on ).

There are some very promising English horses in the Derby but it's too hard to settle on one. Mohaafeth looks stunning but he's by Frankel and that's off-putting. The other two Frankel horses look as if Epsom isn't the be all and end all for them. The Sea The Stars colt Third Realm is hard to pass over, his breeding and training outfit are top class.

Haven't digested the Oaks properly yet, it looks to be a poor renewal. Santa Barbara is running for the bookies and best avoided although she will most likely finish in the first 3. I thought Snowfall looked to have matured a lot in her last run and she makes most appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Noon Star taken out?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

anyone ever travel over for the Epsom Derby? Was thinking of going next year.
    Loads of flights to heathrow/gatwick.
    Interested to hear anyone's opinion who have been there regarding tickets etc..
    Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Noon Star non runner. Joys of Antepost

Some fine picking by myself I must say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭deeks

Very surpirsing that Ballydoyle are relying on one. They either think Bolshoi Ballet is an absolute good thing or some of the others have met with set backs.

I've backed McSwiney personally. As said here before, he's proven in the grade unlike most of the others and winning over a mile in the Vertem Futurity is a decent guide to getting middle distances as a three year old. (Full disclosure - I'd also backed High Definition after the Dante in the expectation that he'd improve significantly from that run and I was quite taken with the way he stayed on late but thats down the tubes now).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Where's the "Last 420 year trend on Stall bias" post that we usually get at this time of year in the Derby thread?

Surprising for O'Brien alright. Seemingly first time since 2004 (!!) that he's only had the one runner.

You'd wonder who took the decision. Someone must have said. Look, HDef needs another couple of weeks and the other 3 are boats.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭kksaints

Surprised he doesn't have a pacemaker at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

They've a horse that can make the running. Don't see a problem, they obviously think he can do anything.

Highland Chief looks big in the Coronation Cup.

Won a handicap at Royal Ascot on his re appearance last year so we know he goes well fresh and subsequently finished very close to Mogul at Goodwood.

He has a good bit to find on all known form but this could be a messy race and we all know Japan and Mogul could easily win or finish out with the washing so I'll chance a bit at Bet 365 enhanced 3 places ew price of 45/1.

• Advertisement

At the prices I like Saffron Beach in the Oaks. Santa Barbara could easily be the best horse in the field but she's yet to prove it and didn't look to handle the dip in Newmarket all that well so must be doubts about how she handles Epsom. Regardless, Saffron Beaches Guineas second is probably the best form on offer so 10/1 looks more than fair and thats where my hard earned will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

The brothers 1-2 in the Coronation is paying a big looking 23 and 28 on 365 . Disappointing horses yes, but both have a high level of form and it doesn't look at 25/1 shot to me . If the fav isnt Nijinsky, it has a great change of coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Ground now Good to Soft. :mad:

The ITV camera angle, can't see what's going on for the last furlong, why is the camera up in the sky. Awful.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Ground now Good to Soft. :mad:

Who should that suit?

Hmmmm, Santa Barbara very high head carriage in her one win. Was it the same in the 1,000 G?

Itziger wrote: »
    Who should that suit?

Hmmmm, Santa Barbara very high head carriage in her one win. Was it the same in the 1,000 G?

She's a bit uncoordinated for such a morning glory. Soft ground should help her, I fancy a big run for Divinely on that ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Sherbet Lemon is a funny one how she ended up going to Lemon Drop Kid. She cost a million dollars when bought by Coolmore to race she's a full sister to Mastercraftsman. Her three half siblings are all Galileo and ran for Aidan but I'm assuming she was sold when sent to an American stallion and sold there yet still ends up at Epsom which her Galileo siblings couldn't achieve

tryfix wrote: »
    She's a bit uncoordinated for such a morning glory. Soft ground should help her, I fancy a big run for Divinely on that ground.

Yeah, looks kinda ungainly alright. Head went up in the sky again in the Guineas and she wasn't really doing much at the end (Watch her romp home by 6 lengths!)

Doesn't fill me with confidence though. Agree softer ground might help somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Itziger wrote: »
    Who should that suit?

Going for Zeyaadah. Form on soft/heavy.

Such a lottery when ground is like this. Real shame.

Hard to envisage an Oaks winner by Tamayuz

• Advertisement

Hard to envisage an Oaks winner by Tamayuz

I think the 2nd and 3rd in the betting are shorter than they should be because they're the fancied English horses. The Kingman filly Save A Forest is my idea of a horse that's underestimated.

My god that was impressive

Wow. Didnt see that coming.

Dubai Fountain out with the washing after an absolutely huge punt. Being trained by Mark Johnston must be a stone handicap on any horse

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Once again the punters hoodwinked by O'Brien.
    Moore ? Could he get it any more wrong.
    No way they didn't know that was a superior horse than Santa Barbara.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Once again the punters hoodwinked by O'Brien.
    Moore ? Could he get it any more wrong.
    No way they didn't know that was a superior horse than Santa Barbara.

11/2 not exactly hoodwinked ffs

A 24lb+ beating of a 100 OR horse = a 125 rating in my book + 3lb fillies allowance when meeting the colts.

11/2 not exactly hoodwinked ffs

All the same there's a question to be asked if O'Brien's hyping of the likes of Santa Barbara and many others is damaging to the less experienced punters who have no real understanding of the hype factory that is Aidan O'Brien.

• Advertisement

Unreal performance

Advertisement