Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bay South By-Election

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They will pick Byrne, but shes politically weak and anonymous.

Eamon Ryan will be cursing Eoghan Murphy (probably calling him a stinky poo poo head), because whatever the Greens decide to do here is damaging to them and their obvious growing schism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭golfball37

Despite Eamon’s vote I don’t think there’s 2 seats there for Greens in a GE. If big Jim gets the FF leader job then he’ll be safe. Always at least one FG there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They will pick Byrne, but shes politically weak and anonymous.

But in that way she's a good candidate for the GP. She's well known in her ward, easy on the eye, good speaker and won't get elected but won't destroy the GP vote either.

They don't want a TD elected here, it means two running next time out, they run the risk of splitting the vote and neither her nor Eamon Ryan getting in.

There are other parties like SF or FF who probably aren't too keen on winning the seat as it means running two candidates next time out. I don't see any party winning two seats there in a GE at the next election. It's well split in demographics.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Eamon Ryan will be cursing Eoghan Murphy (probably calling him a stinky poo poo head),

LOL - Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

I live in her ward and Byrne comes across as a good councillor. There aren’t two seats for the greens here so if she is the green candidate for the by election it might be more with an eye to building up her profile as Eamon’s eventual successor.

I suspect he won’t be leader of the Greens after the next general election and that he would be unlikely to stand again in the following election if that’s the case given he’d be in his mid 60s by then most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    If Byrne gets the GP nomination, I suspect that's the end of Chu in the Greens - Soc Dems (damaging to them if they take her...) or Independent.

+1 Chu's problem is that she will finish her term in the Mansion House two years after the local elections (2019) and one year after a general election (2020). It's finally dawned on her that the timing means she can't make much electoral capital out of the job. Throw in the lockdown (no high visibility events) and her stint as Lord Mayor will return her little or no political dividend.

Which probably explains why she decided to run for the Seanad and why she may throw her hat in the ring for the GP nomination for DBS. Her desperate scramble for exposure will be her downfall, she's making enemies at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

schmittel wrote: »
    Do candidates for the by election actually have to live in the constituency?

I get it makes sense for them to do so, but is there an actual law (like in the UK) that to stand as a candidate in a constituency you have to have an address within the constituency?

By the gods I am shocked the Brits have such a rule

Peter Mandelson of London ran for Hartlepool for no other reason then it was a "safe" seat.

The Brits love to parachute candidates into an area they know nothing about but the colour of their rosette will see them elected

There are faults with the Irish electoral system but parachuting candidates in is vigorously disapproved

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Get the sense the bould hazel will be lucky to secure a nomination let alone win the seat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mikemac2 wrote: »
    By the gods I am shocked the Brits have such a rule

Peter Mandelson of London ran for Hartlepool for no other reason then it was a "safe" seat.

The Brits love to parachute candidates into an area they know nothing about but the colour of their rosette will see them elected

There are faults with the Irish electoral system but parachuting candidates in is vigorously disapproved

The big difference is that 'local' candidates can still run because of the multiple seat constituencies, while a UK parachutist displaces any locally selected candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think Bacik does live in the constituency, at least if wikipedia is right (Portobello claimed) - but she definitely didn't live in Dublin Central that time and I suspect not DL either!

Ivana B lives in portobello

• Advertisement

Chu refused to be drawn today on the speculation, but an announcement is expected tomorrow. Looks like it'll be down to herself V Byrne for the the nom. I don't think James Geoghegan will be afeared of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Kate O'Connell remaining very quiet regarding seeking the FG nomination.
    Might be holding her fire until next GE when FG might have a run at two seats in the constituency again?

blackwhite wrote: »
    Kate O'Connell remaining very quiet regarding seeking the FG nomination.
    Might be holding her fire until next GE when FG might have a run at two seats in the constituency again?

My own suspicion is that shes probably done with it, for the moment anyway. Young family, busy business, not to mention the opprobrium she fielded while in the Dáil.

I think she'd be in the Seanad otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭blackwhite

My own suspicion is that shes probably done with it, for the moment anyway. Young family, busy business, not to mention the opprobrium she fielded while in the Dáil.

I think she'd be in the Seanad otherwise.

She went after a Seanad nod at the time, and seemed fairly peed off when she wasn't nominated. Looked suspiciously like she was passed over in favour of those who hadn't been as vocally anti-Varadkar during the FG leadership campaign.

I've a suspicion that following the Seanad snub she might wait for a change in leadership in FG before stepping forward again

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Anybody got any insight on whether it is likely to be summer or autumn?

Reckon that is a tough call for the government (FG).

Anybody got any insight on whether it is likely to be summer or autumn?

Reckon that is a tough call for the government (FG).

Won't be the summer anyway. With the pandemic abating, they'll be waiting as long as possible to hold a poll. Not to mind that turnout in summer is always poor.

We could see a referendum date in October or early November for a number of outstanding matters, with the DBS by-election held on the same day.

Won't be the summer anyway. With the pandemic abating, they'll be waiting as long as possible to hold a poll. Not to mind that turnout in summer is always poor.

That was my initial thinking but there was a piece in the Examiner suggesting they might go sooner rather than later:
    Sources within the party have surmised that Fine Gael's quick process may be due to a possible intention to call the election sooner rather than later, with August mooted as a possibility.

I guess the logic would be if ever there was a year to buck the poor summer turnout trend, this would be it with no foreign travel! They might get a covid bounce if vaccinations largely complete and country open up again.

Does higher turnout help or hinder FG chances?
    We could see a referendum date in October or early November for a number of outstanding matters, with the DBS by-election held on the same day.

What are the outstanding matters?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does higher turnout help or hinder FG chances?

I'd expect their voters to be more in the base that turn up regardless, with a higher turnout tending towards others.
    What are the outstanding matters?

"Womens place in the home" issues (that'll pass), voting age (that probably won't!), possibly a ban on privitasation of Irish Water (that'll pass), very slight chance of some emigrant voting rights (haven't seen polling on that)

I'd expect their voters to be more in the base that turn up regardless, with a higher turnout tending towards others.

That would be my thinking too, maybe favouring them to call a summer election.

Slightly off tangent, but this would be a good opportunity to trial early voting and expanded postal voting.

Does this need new legislation, or can it be ordered by the Returning Officer for the constituency?

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    Slightly off tangent, but this would be a good opportunity to trial early voting and expanded postal voting.

Does this need new legislation, or can it be ordered by the Returning Officer for the constituency?

As someone who has worked elections for 22 years, I don't believe that is a good idea.

The postal voting, perhaps, but not early voting. Having filled ballots sitting around for weeks on end is inherently bad for vote integrity, in my opinion.

I'd almost be going the other way. This nonsense of 'coming home to vote' of non-residents, when they really had no right to do so, was a massive compromise of electoral law and that should be tightened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Seems a bit unfair that Non-Irish citizens who may have been living and working here for years don't get a vote in the generals, is this similar across the EU?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Seems a bit unfair that Non-Irish citizens who may have been living and working here for years don't get a vote in the generals, is this similar across the EU?

They do not vote in referendums or presidential elections either. Why would they? They can vote in local elections though, and stand in them too.

They do not vote in referendums or presidential elections either. Why would they? They can vote in local elections though, and stand in them too.

I can understand the reasons why they'd be unable to vote on constitutional matters, or on the election of the head of state, but I feel like they should be entitled to vote for a representative in the national parliament.

I can understand the reasons why they'd be unable to vote on constitutional matters, or on the election of the head of state, but I feel like they should be entitled to vote for a representative in the national parliament.

Why? There is no provision in the constitution for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

There should be - I know folks who have paid the top rate of tax for 10+ years, members of the GAA etc etc; yet have next to zero say at ballot box

Which is fair enough, in which case I think we should have a referendum on it because I think it's unfair. (Sorry, off topic) I was also wondering if other EU countries have similar rules when it comes to the voting register.

There should be - I know folks who have paid the top rate of tax for 10+ years, members of the GAA etc etc; yet have next to zero say at ballot box

Well, stand in the DBS bi-election with that as your policy. You only have to persuade the electorate of your view and get elected - then get the referendum accepted by the Dail. God luck with that.

Well if they've done all that, they're a bit slack in getting their citizenship, aren't they?

Then they could vote in all the elections they fancied.

• Advertisement

Which is fair enough, in which case I think we should have a referendum on it because I think it's unfair. (Sorry, off topic) I was also wondering if other EU countries have similar rules when it comes to the voting register.

It's a reciprocal arrangement. Any country is free to have that agreement with each other. So we can vote in Locals and EU elections in any EU country and vice versa.

We have a separate agreement with the UK. They can vote in all common elections that we have, so Local and Dail. Not the Presidential as Queenie still sits on the throne and not in referenda as they don't have a Constitution that can be altered via popular vote.

It has been mooted a couple of times that we get to vote in each other parliamentary elections in the EU-27 but I haven't heard about it in a long time.

Advertisement