Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ladies suit making/tailoring

Options
  • 31-01-2021 1:33am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone recommend someone who does this?. Obviously after lockdown, preferably Galway but will travel..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hope the mods don't mind a four month bump but as businesses are opening up again i would love a suggestion or two. I mean could louis copeland sort me out or do i need to buy off rack in somewhere like m&s and then a tailor?? I'm quite plus size if that is info required

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not something that's done a lot anymore. It's very expensive and I don't know of anyone I can recommend in Ireland. I think your best bet is to get something of the peg and then get someone good to do the adjustments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It looks like baby and crumble hasn't been active in a few months, but I know she wore a lot of tailored suits. It might be worth dropping her a PM to see if she picks it up, or searching her posts to see if she has mentioned names of tailors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Interesting thread.

(Thread, ha ha!)

A "real" tailor who has served their apprenticeship should be able to cut a suit for a lady. It's just a question of measuring and cutting, just like a gent's suit. The lining and pad-stitching etc would be the same techniques.

I can well imagine that it would be expensive because of the many hours of work; but then again, using good fabric and properly made, it ought to last for many years.
    And those classic tailored shapes don't date quickly - take a look at photos of Queen Elizabeth wearing this kind of thing during the Forties. You could almost wear those in the street, even now.

You've piqued my interest, @Gremlinertia: I'm going to snoop around a bit, looking for this!

To add: I inquired of a friend who used to be a tailor by trade if he knew of anyone making suits for women?

He replied that the only one he knew of who did that as a regular thing -- a "ladies' tailor" - had died some time ago.
    '
    He also added that the technique is a bit different - bosom shaping, darts, skirt shaping etc - so a man's tailor generally doesn't do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Day Lewin wrote: »
    To add: I inquired of a friend who used to be a tailor by trade if he knew of anyone making suits for women?

He replied that the only one he knew of who did that as a regular thing -- a "ladies' tailor" - had died some time ago.
    '
    He also added that the technique is a bit different - bosom shaping, darts, skirt shaping etc - so a man's tailor generally doesn't do them.
    I had my suit done by the same tailor that did my dad's suits. (Not in this country). It depends on the skill level of the person, he was main taylor on a factory that did women's clothing but also did sewing for Boss (and the suits). He started on his own and made decent living out of it because of quality of his work. Many don't, it was always poorly paid profession and things got even worse when they started competing with Asian countries. More or less all factories went into liquidation. The reason your friend doesn't know anyone is because it's very hard to make a living for tailors when they are competing with clothes made in countries with cheap (desperate) work force and cheap materials. More casual style of dressing in general doesn't help either. Even so called slow fashion for women is mostly about dresses.

I got quite a few tailored pieces that were made 20 or so years ago but trends in tailoring change more than people think. They still fit me but they also look dated with wider shoulders, lenghts, fit, type of material, lapel size, double or single breasted and so on. The tailor that did my clothes retired but he still does some work for his old clients. He took in shoulders in the blazer he made for me last year, trousers were OK. I can make the suit work but they are not a timeless piece unless you are prepared to do alterations every so often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

I would not recommend it

A bit of googling found this...but I'd guess they would be expensive.

https://paulhenrytailoring.ie/ladies-wear

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Since you said Galway, there is a guy there called David Young, I was thinking about heading up to him next year. About €2000 for a mans suit, so expensive.

I only know what I've seen online but a few ladies have posted reviews of suits he made for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Don't know any ladies tailors who'd make a suit from scratch but the Zip yard will do alterations, remodels & updates as well as repairs. I've used them in Dublin a few times. Think they have a branch in galway if you had a suit that could be altered. Another great place is the alteration centre in Sth Anne St but you'd have to travel to dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement